More home brew advice needed please (1 Viewer)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Having decided to make a comeback into home brewing beer I need to buy a new barrel.
I have decided on a King Keg because it has a big neck but do I buy a top tap or bottom one what are the pros and cons apart from being able to use one on the floor.
I used to have a Beer Sphere with a bottom tap which had a float system that took beer from the top.
Managed to find my Hamlton Bard gas bottles so I shall use them to keep the barrel topped up with gas.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
providing you've always got some pressure the top tap is better, although with the bottom tap you can still pour without pressure but run the risk of disturbing sediment. I was banned from home brews especially wine making after carpet burns to head and chinxroll:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
providing you've always got some pressure the top tap is better, although with the bottom tap you can still pour without pressure but run the risk of disturbing sediment.xroll:

Hellfire it's catching, gobbleldeegook and gibberish, there both pissed.

I'll stick to tinny's.:xThumb:

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
tinny's:xblink: absolutely no comparison:xrofl: you can't beat a full bodied glass of home made ale, especially good after several for bad knees:xThumb: but if your erection fails carpet burns ensue:xsurprised:

OP
OP
daveandsan
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
providing you've always got some pressure the top tap is better, although with the bottom tap you can still pour without pressure but run the risk of disturbing sediment. I was banned from home brews especially wine making after carpet burns to head and chinxroll:
Vin, looks like you are the only sober one on here.:xThumb:
Edit, apart from me.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have a orderny keg and a king keg I prefer thy good old keg my king keg is a top tap only thing I fund with the top that I had a tendency to start drinking the beer before it was ready
and by the time I got to the bottom it had just reached its best
but I do full grain brewing and my beer is usually reedy in twelve to forten days
bill

OP
OP
daveandsan
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Unfortunately Dave these days the only decent ale for me is at a real ale pub but paying £3.50 a pint instead of 35p:xsurprised:
Yes you can't beat real ale none of these poncy lagers for me, but they do say some of these home brew kits have really come on now. When I was doing it before in the 1970s some brews were ok and some were an acquired taste, but they do say there is no such thing as bad beer just that some is better than others.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Yes you can't beat real ale none of these poncy lagers for me, but they do say some of these home brew kits have really come on now. When I was doing it before in the 1970s some brews were ok and some were an acquired taste, but they do say there is no such thing as bad beer just that some is better than others.
theirs only one way to make beer and that full mash hole grain brewing the only way and easy
now with the equipment so easy to make or buy
bill

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Having tried both options, I much prefer using PET (plastic) re-usable beer bottles than a barrel. Less chance of any of the beer going off, and its easier to control the temperature of a couple of bottles rather than a big barrel.
Regards
Robert

OP
OP
daveandsan
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Having tried both options, I much prefer using PET (plastic) re-usable beer bottles than a barrel. Less chance of any of the beer going off, and its easier to control the temperature of a couple of bottles rather than a big barrel.
Regards
Robert
Robert, I may go down both routes and use the barrel in the garage in winter and in the summer use bottles, much easier to chill a couple of bottles in the fridge in summer.
Regards,
Dave.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
as long as you keep a good covering of co2 on the keg it wont go off only once in 30 years lost a Bach to going off
and that was a bad seal on keg but I use swing top bottles but PET to
bill

OP
OP
daveandsan
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Years ago before pet bottles I used to use Alpine pop bottles, it used to be a pain in the ar$e cleaning all those.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I bought a king keg recently but went for the bottom tap. The top taps allow you to drink it earlier but there are more "gubbins" inside to clean and unless there is pressure inside, which there should be of course, no beer will come out - which is a mixed blessing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back