More grey water tank stuff (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
There are hundreds of posts on here about emptying grey water tanks but having spent some time reading I haven't found what I need. After breaking the tap on mine and getting it replaced, I am convinced there is a lot of crud in the bottom of the tank (it is not flowing out of the tap well!) which I would like to clear out. This is not helped by the fact that I need to drop the tap side of the van down to empty it anyway due to the drain hole on the tank being higher than helpful. I have tried cola, and also a proprietary cleaner but they haven't done the job and I need something stronger. I don't believe there is any grease down there since I always empty the washing up bowl separately, if there is crud it will be soap from washing, and some toothpaste. Would welcome your suggestions! Many thanks.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Is it the pipe or the tank you are concerned about?

If it’s the pipe you could just change it, if the tank is there a large screw on maintenance cap top or bottom?

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry, not able to crawl underneath, so don't know. The pipe is clear, according to the friend who fitted the new tap, so it must be the tank. Previously the cola has worked but not this time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
After emptying the tank, pour a couple of gallons of warm water down the sink and take vehicle for a longish run with lots of bends .... drain tank as soon as you stop and watch all the crud come out.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always find the Thetford tank clear works well. I would put a good dose of that in then fill with hot water and go for a drive.
Then when you empty it put the wheel diagonally opposite the tank drain on a ramp or jack it up. We have air suspension and when we set it to tank drain mode which tilts the van diagonally so the tank outlet is much lower it's surprising how much more water comes out.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
If you have levelling ramps you can gain enough room to see if it has any screw on caps underneath.

Or get some heavy duty cleaner in as per instructions but also take for a drive to agitate as suggested above.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I use caustic soda and nearly boiling water, take moho for a short drive, put jacks on empty tank lift and let the water out then flush with fresh water till clear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back