More fun and games with the bloody Sargent in the Autotrail (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Started when Nemo popped in to say the step was out.
Went round, blipped the blipper and in it popped.. Thought I had just forgotten to lock it and set the alarm.
Two days later it is out again !
Started to investigate.
Found the step button did not work but turning on the inside entry light operated the step !
Also noticed that when I opened up the van on the remote the external light did not come on.

Last night could not sleep for thinking about it.................

This morning I went out and went straight to the only thing that I could figure was common to all the issues.
That stupid ( with a capital STU !! ) extra control box that is fitted with the Sargent system.. The EM50

Undid it and lifted it out.. As I did it the step started acting like a sodding semaphore flag..

Removed all the plugs and refitted..
Everything started working as it should..
Not having the time or the inclination today I left it at that, but I reckon it was not a bad plug joint but a bad solder joint on the actual board somewhere...
I can see I am going to have to remove the unit at some time in the near future, remove the board and go over all the damned solder joints to find it..

One thing is sure about the Sargent system.. It does keep me busy and my interest piqued !

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Hmmm,

As a fellow Auto-trailer and hoping you don't mind me commenting on your bus step. I would just like to say, we got similar problem with ours, so,,, thinking long and hard, but not too hard, I decided to go out, buy a double step and tie the Bus step back with a cable tie,,,,, and then had another beer.! Sorted.!!

Seeing what you have said about the EM50 I think I will give it a try.

Thanks for the info.

Mike. P
Sunsets Unlimited.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There is a known issue with a faulty batch of "polyfuse" in some Sargent panels.. Creating an issue with step operation.
This does not sound like that problem BUT may be worth checking with Sargent as they could tell you if your unit is one of the suspect batch..

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
What's am em50? Is it only fitted to the newer psu's ive not noticed one in mine. I've got the 2007 psu unit (note to others this deos not denote the year but the type of psu)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
When we had a similar problem with our step I did the same as you and narrowed it down to the EM50 and found a little bit of "furring" on the 'jumpers' that pull out to change the configuration..
As you have done, I pulled them out and put them back and that was it.....The only other thing that springs to mind is that our table is stored right behind the two switches ( step and inside entry light) They haven't got shorted together have they ?? Good luck. Mitch.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What's am em50? Is it only fitted to the newer psu's ive not noticed one in mine. I've got the 2007 psu unit (note to others this deos not denote the year but the type of psu)

You will have one somewhere... It is not where you expect it to be !
What model charger do you have fitted ??

Anddddddddd

for all those with a similar problem, I offer these words ..

CHIP CREEP !!!!

Not 100% sure yet but I think that is what the problem was.

Disconnect the leisure batteries
Turn the unit over.. and look for a couple of 16 pin chips in carriers ( see note )
Mine had suffered cheep creep and were trying to exit their carriers.
A firm push down on them reseated the buggers and so far no more weird happenings

NOTE
In general I have found the Sargent system extremely well made if, as mentioned add infinitum, vastly over complicated.
However, mounting chips in carriers in a mobile environment that will have massive temperature changes is, in my opinion ( and with my electronic design engineer hat on ) the most stupid thing possible.
Quite obviously the chips ( proly simple TTL logic things ) have in the past caused failures.. It is very nice to mount them in carriers so fixing the panels is nice and easy, but sorry, these things are built for a VERY specific use and with the carriers are not really fit for purpose.
Come a bored moment I will remove the carriers and solder the chips in properly ( not something most folk can do I appreciate but def something that should be considered if you have the skill set )

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
You will have one somewhere... It is not where you expect it to be !
What model charger do you have fitted ??
errmm

I've got the 2007 psu unit (note to others this deos not denote the year but the type of psu)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Is this unit used to power/control all electric steps or confined to Autotrail do you know please?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahh.. the update from the 200 jobby.. Forgot about that one.
Depends on the year of the Scout in that case

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Is this unit used to power/control all electric steps or confined to Autotrail do you know please?
No idea.. It is used for all sorts of stuff on all sorts of models

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In that case the EM50 unit is not used
For reference ( if you have not done so already :) ) this might be worth printing out ?
Broken Link Removed

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
ive got a metal step. no chips. but a couple of cracks.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Jesus Christ!!!!
I've just read all this, just for something to do. How complicated does a step have to be?
Why does it have to be controlled by a Sargent unit with it's associated complexities?
My old Cheyenne has a manual step which unfolds with no real effort at all, apart from reaching to it with a hand. A little tap in the right place with your foot & a spring takes it back into its parking place. Simple!

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Jesus Christ!!!!
I've just read all this, just for something to do. How complicated does a step have to be?
Why does it have to be controlled by a Sargent unit with it's associated complexities?
My old Cheyenne has a manual step which unfolds with no real effort at all, apart from reaching to it with a hand. A little tap in the right place with your foot & a spring takes it back into its parking place. Simple!

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Jesus Christ!!!!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
buy a Hymer and you get a handle, no chips or scratches just a solid clunk
Not on mine you don't. It's electric but as basic as possible - no connection to cab. No warning buzzer.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sod sod bugger and sod..

Was absolutely convinced I had found it .. been as good as gold for the past week.. Guess what..
Yup, its playing silly buggers again !!!!
Even if I end up completely defeated there is absolutely NO point in getting a dealer involved as the issue is so random...
They could have it for months and still not find the problem.

I will be back out there again tomorrow and starting again.....
More updates as and when................

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Jaws,
U still having problems with that em50whatever.? Try what I did, pull the step fuse, cable tie the step back in place. Go buy a double step, and heypresto, Job done.! Then go pour yourself a nice cup of Punjana, or a G&T, or a B&C, and R-E-L-A-X my boy.!

Me thinks you must be a glutton 4 punishment, don't blow a gasket. A.? :banghead: :madder:

Sorry.!

Mike.
Sunsets Unlimited. :coolest:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
So mo's got her puzzle and you've got yours lol

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Steve Simpson ex Baldwins Autotrail service manager is ace at resetting step programs, give him a ring on 07807063876 or Guy Dangerfield on 01422245700 his mate. They are very good with many years experience.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Steve Simpson ex Baldwins Autotrail service manager is ace at resetting step programs, give him a ring on 07807063876 or Guy Dangerfield on 01422245700 his mate. They are very good with many years experience.

Errrrr... guess where I bought the van from !! And they could not fix the original issues before I collected it..
They actually had to do a bit of a bodge to get the gas igniters to work ..
Having said that I would happily recommend the firm to anyone.. Nice folk who really try..

Sooo.. Latest update..

Took out the '50' again and this time used a solder sucker to remove the solder from every joint on the board that did not look perfect.. Then resoldered them..
Removed the chip carriers completely and fitted new ones ( standard dil packages so had them on the shelf .. I suppose I SHOULD have discarded the ruddy things completely but if the board does have to go away I did not want to make life more difficult for the next poor sod who works on it !!

At the moment it is all working perfectly again, but I am saying nowt as it worked properly for a week last time I thought I had sussed it out !!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Welllll... it has not cured the problem..
Now waiting for Howard from Sargent to ring me on Monday...

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Still no joy on either of the new numbers you sent me I am afraid, but thank you for trying :)

Had another look at the maps last night..
There is one thing outside the M50 box that I had not considered.. The step and the entry light share a common earth.. so that will be my next port of call when I start on the thing again...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back