Mopeka TankCheck - Bluetooth Gas Level Check (1 Viewer)

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
I think the need for spacers is to allow space for the radio (Bluetooth) signal from the sensor

No, they're for US propane cylinders that don't have space underneath. Perhaps surprisingly (it surprised me, anyway), the bluetooth signal makes it out from under a cylinder resting on the floor of an all metal gas locker, inside a metal van and into my house about 30 feet away quite happily!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you are using the green spacers on a bottle, they will wear very quickly and you could end up with the unit being crushed under the bottle. Most EU bottles ( and U.K.) have enough of a gap that you don’t need the spacers anyway.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The base on the Yank bottles are lower than the European bottles and without the spacers on the base of the Yank the sensor unit would not fit under the bottle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Failing that i can ask my Doc for some sensor gel (ultrasonic) as I'm sure he has a bit hanging around;)
Here's another opportunity for me to be wrong:shake:. The text in the picture says 'dielectric grease', which means it is electrically insulating. If the gel from the Doc is water-based it may be electrically conductive and cause a problem with the electronics of the sensor.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Quick update:

Here's my test set up,

IMG_1465.jpg

This was just to rule out any bad signal, the signal is in fact fine and that seems to work well.

Here's the sensor on the bottom of the bottle.

IMG_1466.jpg

I cleaned the bottom of the bottle, placed the sensor (rubber part) centrally and also tried it in various other locations.

Results are always the same...

IMG_1464.jpg

This bottle is about 90% full.

So no progress at all really(n)

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
Looks like yours may be faulty, then :(

Does the next screen offer any clues?

(Just to ask the obvious questions: You are standing the bottle up before trying to get a reading and you have set the cylinder size, haven't you?)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Looks like yours may be faulty, then :(

Does the next screen offer any clues?

(Just to ask the obvious questions: You are standing the bottle up before trying to get a reading and you have set the cylinder size, haven't you?)

Yes set the bottle to the nearest size, tried either side of the actual also. Yes the bottle is upright when trying to read, also left it there for several minutes and "let it settle".

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Is it worth opening the unit up and checking the wiring to sensor plug and that the plug is in ok.

Here's a video on changing the battery which will show you how to open the casing and in the video you can see the sensor wiring and plug.

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
The only other thing I can think of to try is to put some fluid / grease between the sensor and the bottle - a dab of vaseline or a drop of fairy liquid, etc. (even a few drops of water) should work, at least for a time. The sensor is an ultrasonic transmitter and is quite fragile if you do decide to investigate inside the unit.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just tried a dab of Vaseline on it but the result was the same. I'm a bit reluctant to take it apart as i'll probably have to return it and don't want to void the warranty even if it's the same process as a battery replacement, i will check with the seller to see what they suggest as they may propose the same.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I am sure you checked but is the sensor at the very bottom of the bottle?
When my sensors arrived, one wouldn’t work. I took it apart ( very simple and no chance of damaging anything) took out the battery, waited a few minutes ( while I looked for a new battery but discovered I didn’t have any) so put the battery back and it started working.
I also had an occasion where my full tank read empty, like yours. Battery out, then back in, and it’s been fine since.

I think seller will propose this ( or swapping the battery) as a first step to sorting the problem.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
ok it that case it's worth a go then, i'll try it.

How do you mean at the bottom of the bottle, couldn't quite understand what you meant by that.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
swapped the battery (twice just to be sure...) but same result and no sign of a loose wire:(

looks like it could be a duffer

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Had some feedback from Mopeka who advise to sand off any paint on the bottom of the bottle and also to use dielectric grease. Not turning out to be such a user friendly device so far.....

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Oh dear, does sound as though you have a defective unit:( I would definitely be returning for a replacement unit.

Sorry, no help to you @Ridgeway but I've just recently purchased two units for my Gaslow setup and within 5 mins, I had both units up and running indicating the correct levels; great bit of kit when they do what they are supposed to do.....
C71F3D8D-F9DA-4CE0-AF0F-86D5CB5B4DB8.png

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Oh dear, does sound as though you have a defective unit:( I would definitely be returning for a replacement unit.

Sorry, no help to you @Ridgeway but I've just recently purchased two units for my Gaslow setup and within 5 mins, I had both units up and running indicating the correct levels; great bit of kit when they do what they are supposed to do.....

Christian just for you:

IMG_0765.jpg

Picked up in the camper at Christmas,

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

View attachment 305091

Back on topic....

I'll go along with what they ask and see if it works but can't see me sanding the arse off each bottle i use, nor squirting it with some dodgy KY jelly:)

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Christian just for you:

View attachment 305093

Picked up in the camper at Christmas,
:love: what an absolute stunner(y) Good to see you still at it and wow your setup is looking beautiful. I occasionally miss mine, but then remind myself of the heartache when I lost them all:cry:

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Back on topic....

I'll go along with what they ask and see if it works but can't see me sanding the arse off each bottle i use, nor squirting it with some dodgy KY jelly:)

Personally I wouldn't bother, it is evident from reading other posts that they work without going to such lengths. Did you source direct?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
From eBay from a supplier called RV Junky which seems to be owned by Mopeka i think ? They passed me to Mopeka directly who have been emailing me back.

Knowing the Swiss and their obsession for over engineering i bet my bottled are made out of 3" thick steel....

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Quick update:

I did go through the checks with the Mopeka guys and they quickly decided to send me another unit, no request for shipping costs payment or return of the old item. The unit turned up today and bingo, for the first time i can read the gas level on my bottle so happy days !

And the nice people at Mopeka even sent me 2 units, one as a replacement for the duffer and one as a gesture of good will, American customer service at it's best !!!

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Seeing this thread we took the plunge and bought two - thanks @Wombles . We have Alugas bottles and have knocked up some support bars to hold them on tightly.
They work OK but are very sensitive to positioning and needed the supplied grease to work well.

First problem - I couldn’t get both to work at the same time. They were fine individually but each time I added a second one the first stopped reading. However, by moving the fill pipes they are now both ok. I suspect they were interfering with each other due to the stiff pipes transmitting the signals between the bottles.

2nd problem - one bottle wouldn’t read higher then 40%. I think the unit was sensing the Alugas internal float. By repositioning the sensor carefully it now works properly.

Now they work properly they are really useful - we get through a lot of gas when away skiing in the winter and they will help us keep an eye on levels without having to keep opening up the locker.

Hope this helps anyone planning to fit them:)

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
Glad it has finally come good! (y)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
My US sourced Amazon unit arrived and fitted to my Gasit cylinder easy to fit and working ok. I checked accuracy by weighing the bottle when out of the van. By weight i calculated 76% full. By the unit also 76%. So far so good.
Easy to link to phone so pleased to date
Cost will finalise in a couple of weeks once import duty calculated.
I used Gorilla duct tape as my belt and braces fix although the magnets seemed ok.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Mobeka unit works great for a day then won’t connect between the tank and phone. I then take the the bottle out and re sync. Ok for a day then bugger all.
Anyone else had similar issues?

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Mine arrived from Gas-it with a duff battery which caused syncing issues, changed the battery and no issues since.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I’ve found that on full bottles mine read 82% (both the same) but when the level drops below about 25% they read empty on my driveway as it’s slightly sloping. They have to be perfectly level when there’s not much gas left and I can just about understand this.

Another thing, I also have the Bluetooth monitor in the van and can’t work out how this works. It shows 4 out of 5 leds when the app says 40% gas then the lights go out quickly after this. That’s not very linear and not very useful.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
when the level drops below about 25% they read empty on my driveway as it’s slightly sloping. They have to be perfectly level when there’s not much gas left and I can just about understand this.

The sensor is measuring from the bottom of the cylinder to where the liquid level is.
Try putting a bit of water in a glass and then tipping it to about 20 to 30 degrees and it will give you an illustration of why you get the low reading.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back