Moped (1 Viewer)

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Does anyone know if the old style mopeds are still manufactured and if so where can I purchase one. One that looks something like this. I do not like the look of the new plastic ones.
Solifer-Suzuki PV50

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That is a copy of Honda Monkey bike..
I have a feeling we may have a brand new one in the stores still..
If you are interested I will have a look for you :Smile:

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
Does anyone know if the old style mopeds are still manufactured and if so where can I purchase one. One that looks something like this. I do not like the look of the new plastic ones.
Solifer-Suzuki PV50

they don t vibrate the same as the new plastic ones either !:Smile:

best regards rayval:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
hi
mopeds like these are available new from the chinese motorcycle dealerships.
look online, saw one at revolution scooters on merseyside, about £800 looked ok.
but how reliable they are i aint have a clue.

live long and prosper :ROFLMAO::winky:::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wish I had seen your post before I replied to Les's PM !
I would have double the asking price and STILL be cheap LOL !!

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Solifer-Suzuki PV50

Have a look here,

Link Removed

quite a few still turn up on flea-bay, depends on your budget really, I was at a auto jumble recently and saw a one owner from new Honda 90cc step thru 78/79 ish when for a couple of hundred quid Bargain. :thumb:

Link Removed

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Solifer-Suzuki PV50

whatever you get Lesley AVOID the chinese crap........

i saw an old (2004) 125cc V twin:whatthe: chinese bike parked in town only yesterday and it was a wreck.

more rust than paint on the frame, the footrest/rearbrake pedal casting had snapped (very poor quality, more air pockets than alloy)
the welding looked like i did it.....nothing but snot and bird s*it and every weld was covered in rust.

wouldnt touch one with a pointed stick.

you get what you pay for, except in this case and you get less for your money.

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
whatever you get Lesley AVOID the chinese crap........

i saw an old (2004) 125cc V twin:whatthe: chinese bike parked in town only yesterday and it was a wreck.

more rust than paint on the frame, the footrest/rearbrake pedal casting had snapped (very poor quality, more air pockets than alloy)
the welding looked like i did it.....nothing but snot and bird s*it and every weld was covered in rust.

wouldnt touch one with a pointed stick.

you get what you pay for, except in this case and you get less for your money.

Agreed! The chinese copies are not good at all! I regularly get call outs from a customer that has one. You know when he starts riding it again in the summer as the phone rings as he has broken down again. Poor mechanics, poor electrics - and generally poor!

Hondas are far better - don't waste you money on a chinese one, you will onlly pay more in the end in repairs! Hondas are pretty indestructible.

Link Removed
Or a classic folder....

Last edited:

herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
monkey bike

heres one i made earlier

Attachments

• P1010496.jpg
    P1010496.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 35

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have a chinese dax style bike . bought in 2001 great bit of kit . goes in the sea up mountains etc . sold in uk as easy rider but it a jincheng or something . 90cc great kit . have also had a few 110cc dax,s and a 50cc. all ok for the money . i have a chinese lifan 250cc looks like a harley . great bike . look after them and they work . dont look after them they are rusty .
here we are playing at being children . thats 38stone on a 90cc .

Attachments

• P1140062.jpg
    P1140062.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 33

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
But are those old mopeds now classed as mopeds they were not restricted then, now they have to be restricted to 30mph I believe. If I could ride one of the old late 70's Suzuki AP50's that I had when a teenager I wouldn't hesitate in getting one but the messing about with licence entitlements drives you mad, passing my driving test used to entitle me to ride a "moped" with no L plates ie with a passenger I very much doubt it does now..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes the old ones are .the newer ones come restricted .
either the stepthrough style or i say these days get a chinese dax . seats two at a push . a 50cc is ok .slow but you aint racing . only weighs 80kg .up to about 7-10 ml radious isnt bad . mind i have done 40 mile trips on mine one up. keep your eyes on ebay .
best if you can garage them . spray in wd40 or similar helps .

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Although advised against it I bought a Boatian 50cc (quoted as Chinese junk) off ebay for £300 - reason, I broke my ankle so couldn't cycle for a while and had to get to/from work, about 20 miles each way.
My theory was, if it breaks down or blows up I would remove the number plate and dump it in a hedge and hobble in..... Well, the story goes, I used it for about 9 months without a hitch, paid for itself in about a month (compared to the trains) whipped the pink wire off (the restrictor) and she was good for 45mph. Sold it when I could ride again (had to tax it too, all of £16) and it sold on ebay for £380,,,,,,,,,, couldn't invent a better business case for buying another one - I had some fun too - other than teenagers shouting at me to 'GET OFF AND MILK IT'. :roflmto:

Food for thought.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back