wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
From another forum, but thought it might be useful for those of a mechanical persuasion.....

After spending fooking loads on gaskets from Mr Honda I hit upon an idea. To save a few sheckles I scanned the new gaskets on my scanner. Then saved the image as a PDF. I used PDF as it doesn't alter the size of the image.

Then what you do is get a sheet of gasket paper and feed it into your printer. print the image, make sure you set the printer prefs to "full size" or "actual size", and then you have a perfet gasket once you cut it out. Gaskets for pennies. For the holes where the bolts goes through I used a hole punch. Its spot on for an M6 bolt.

Currently seeing if I can get a blade suitable for cutting the gasket paper on my vinyl plotter/cutter.

Saves a few quid if you do a fair amount of your own work. Gasket paper is as cheap as chips on Eblagg. A generator gasket for the VTR is around 12 quid. I've worked out that doing it myself has worked out to 6p. I can print and cut one quicker than going to a stealer to pick one up.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Now solve the problem of Head Gasket or manifold gasket and I'll be super impressed.

We used to tap lightly with a ball pein hammer straight onto the gasket material against the body of the item and got a perfect fit.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Good idea, but its not new, it was the standard method when I was an apprentice 50 years ago and it was at least 50 years old then.

doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Now solve the problem of Head Gasket or manifold gasket and I'll be super impressed.

We used to tap lightly with a ball pein hammer straight onto the gasket material against the body of the item and got a perfect fit.

I have, in the past, made hundreds of them out of sheet copper, basic training, once.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back