Monaco fuel tank - unuseable fuel? (1 Viewer)

F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
Went to pick up the Monaco last Saturday and it still had a quarter of a tank of diesel in it. However, the 'fuel low' light was flashing and 5 miles down the road (before I found a garage) I lost power. It was all the symptoms of running out of fuel, although it never completely cut out.

I chucked £70.00 worth of diesel (the fuel guage DID move (a bit)) in it (just to get me home) and 130 miles later the chugging started again, still a quarter of a tank left!! 10 miles further on and the fuel light flashed on and off a few times but never stayed on.

When I got home, I sat and read the manual and it said that the last 34 gallons of fuel in the tank were unuseable because of the flat bottom design of the tank!!

Can anybody shed any light on this (not fuel lights Geo!)?

Engine - 350 Cummins, 6 speed allison etc..

Duncan, I think the question might be aimed at you!!

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Will watch this thread I'm intrigued to know why part of the tank would be unusable! :Smile:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi Mike,

Obviously the outlet from the tank will not be at the bottom of the tank so that you don't get the muck in the bottom into your engine...

BUT

34 gallons!!!

That equates to a hell of a lot of £££'s

And the book says that as well!!

I'm amazed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
Hi John,

It's a Windsor 36' (38' if your English - Welsh immigrants count as well!!)

It was the kitchen that swung it for Jill, it's a 10 foot long Corian counter top so she can have the Kenwood out on it!! Hmmmm!! I wouldn't mind but she's never baked a cake in her life!

If anyone can come up with a suggestion for a realistic use for a spare 34 gallons of fuel AND a Kenwood Chef - I'm listening.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Did you pay for the missing 34 gallons of fuel?? If not i wouldnt loose any sleep over it :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,
If you can't use the 34 gallons of derv, I'm sure I can find a person who can.:ROFLMAO:

That's a serious amount.Me-thinks they should have designed the tank properly in the first place.:Doh:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Can anybody shed any light on this (not fuel lights Geo!)?

Engine - 350 Cummins, 6 speed allison etc..

Duncan, I think the question might be aimed at you!!

Unforuntely mate, this is standard for the Monaco.
There's nothing wrong with your coach:thumb:, it's just how it is:Sad:. It's done, purely to avoid the delivery pipe picking up crud off the bottom of the tank tho I must admit that when I read this last week, both on RVAMERICA and on Monaco's own web site, I was very surprised at the shear mount of unusable fuel.:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's hard to believe that anyone would design a tank like that.. but just supposing the tank had originally been designed for petrol .. then adapted for derv, some bright spark suggests lifting the fuel take off point up a tad to avoid water/sludge but doesn't think how much fuel that effectively makes unusable .. just a thought..

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
My guess is that their "logic" states if you can afford to buy a Monaco in the first place you won't miss the odd 34 gallons of fuel :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I bet it had all the mechanics running round like blue A**e flys at the factory when the first one rolled (or should i say was pushed) off the production line:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back