lfoulger

Free Member
Sep 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis 275
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Im going to pick up a new moho in a couple of weeks time and I'm interested in the moisture reading of the van from new and what it means for the life of the moho. What should i be looking for, what is the acceptable level of moisture values?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
From Mr Google.

Readings between 0-15% no cause for concern

Readings between 15-20% engineer to make note of readings and recheck at next service.

Readings between 20-24% possible early sign of water ingress, look for tangible evidence or ask for

Recheck.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the other thing worth noting is consistency of readings throughout the van. a sudden change in reading could indicate the start of a problem,

E.G. say most of the van reads 8 / 9% then there is an area that reads 15% then that could indicate a possible problem area even though its in the lower scale.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Or like my Autotrail, once you hit 90% it's time to bale out. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: literally... šŸ˜”
Is your damp meter like this?....
1601147526614.png

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Buy a non intrusive tester (no pin marks).
They cost ~Ā£60.
Run it over the inside of your van, lockers especially and get to know the readings.
Make a chart (if you want) look out for changes in measurements.
Do this once per month, say on 1st of each month.
If anything starts to go up get it back to the dealer for checking/rectification.
Once you get to know how your van reacts to changes of weather, how you use it etc then either increase or decrease the testing frequency.
I see far too many posts about water ingress when a Ā£60 outlay and a few minutes of your time every month can give peace of mind and nip problems in the bud before they are life changers. šŸ‘šŸ˜•ā˜ŗ

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
I'm thinking of getting this one, it's both non invasive and with pins

Extech MO55

Does anyone have any recommendations in the price range up to Ā£60 ?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I'm thinking of getting this one, it's both non invasive and with pins

Extech MO55

Does anyone have any recommendations in the price range up to Ā£60 ?

I had a look at that instrument and could not see any stated accuracy. Also, I wonder how you would do a simple calibration or zero test on the instrument ?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And dont forget the locker where you store your hose pipe will almost certainly give a higher reading :doh:
Unless of course you blow warm air through the pipe before storing it

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Invasive (pin type) measures the first 2-3 mm of the surface tested. Non invasive measures greater depth say 1-30mm. These are the Ā£60 range. Ā£200 range measures upto 50mm.
The test is only an indication of moisture.
You really need to check for changes of measurement hence my post. Regular checks.
There will always be an argument with the mh suppliers i.e. damp or no damp but if you make regular checks and see a difference then you have some data when you make a claim.
And do go back to them as if you log it and it gets worse then you have history.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Invasive (pin type) measures the first 2-3 mm of the surface tested. Non invasive measures greater depth say 1-30mm. These are the Ā£60 range. Ā£200 range measures upto 50mm.
The test is only an indication of moisture.
You really need to check for changes of measurement hence my post. Regular checks.
There will always be an argument with the mh suppliers i.e. damp or no damp but if you make regular checks and see a difference then you have some data when you make a claim.
And do go back to them as if you log it and it gets worse then you have history.
The walls and ceiling in my vans covered in a textile with something soft underneath thus aiding insulation but means a pin type would be needed, do you agree?

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I would stay away from pin type meters they leave unsightly holes and may be an issue when the MoHo is sold on.

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
What sort of meter do the professionals use

P.S. The guys who perform habitation checks and not these guys
the-professionals.jpg

Sorry preempting the obvious response

• Funny
Reactions: f6c
Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
The walls and ceiling in my vans covered in a textile with something soft underneath thus aiding insulation but means a pin type would be needed, do you agree?
As said. The pin type measures the impedence (damp) between the pins. The measuement can give a false reading as the skin of the walks can show damp but these readings can be inflenced by surface temoerature, moisture etc. The non intrusive type measurs upto 30mm or 50mm into the sub structure. The measuements/results are inly indicative so change in readings indicate change in moisture content. You need to get to know your van.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No, the non invasive type can measure to a greater depth so should be fine.
What van do you have? As ones with a fabric wall covering often have an aluminum inner wall, you can't use damp meters on those.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Be vigilant about damp readings of course, but also please don't panic too quick. Damp readings can vary widely on the same vehicle in different conditions. Atmospheric humidity and condensation due to use are cases in point. I know somebody who went back to the dealers and started ranting about water running down the walls. When tested, the van was fine, but they had been cooking in the van without ventilation when they saw the moisture

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
KECHENG KC-318.
Non-invasive.
I can vouch for this one.
Used it on all 4 settings :- Wall, Masonry, Softwood and Hardwood.
It found a slightly high reading in our van floor and resulted in a new side window (free)
From Autotrail.
I have also used it on walls in our cottage where it found a small leak under a roof slate.
Sorry, I canā€™t remember the cost, but knowing me it wonā€™t be expensive. šŸ˜‰
Mitch.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
And dont forget the locker where you store your hose pipe will almost certainly give a higher reading :doh:
Unless of course you blow warm air through the pipe before storing it
I keep a male and female push-on connector on the hose pipe ends. Join ends together when in van. No drips.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I keep a male and female push-on connector on the hose pipe ends. Join ends together when in van. No drips.
That makes a high damp reading even more likely.
A cold hose causes condensation for a longer period

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back