MoHo Insurance-Another Primary/Other vehicle (car) compulsory? (1 Viewer)

ThisIsTheLife

Free Member
Jan 4, 2018
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 35
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, Hope you are all keeping well!
Now we are both retired, thinking of selling one of our cars and making do with one.
The Motorhome is in my name the car that will remain is in the missus' name, and I am a named driver on her car insurance.
I seem to remember when I renewed my Motorhome insurance with Advance insurance I had to provide all sorts of info and proof of owning and insuring another vehicle in my name.
My question is I suppose, anybody in the same position?, and is it a problem getting Motorhome insurance or keeping the MoHo policy I have if I will be just a named driver on another vehicle? And does the premium rocket without another 'Primary/First' vehicle in one's name.?
Advance insurance closed , and bank holiday so thought I'd ask if anyone has/had a similar situation.
Very Many Thanks in advance.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi until recently I owned a car and a Motorhome. The motorhome is insured with Caravan guard and I checked with them to see if I got rid of car would it affect the MoHo cover premium, the answer no they are not bothered as you decided on the mileage you expect to do in your MoHo. I do believe many other MoHo insurers are particular about you owning or having access to a 2nd car.
I did get rid of car, very lucky sold it 2 days before lockdown so only one set of running costs.

Last edited:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Maybe related to 3rd party cover to drive another vehicle.
Car policys generally allow driving a car not owned etc etc by the policy holder ( note only 3rd party cover, not the car your driving, bare min req'd in law)
Many MH policies dont include this and maybe is a chargeable extra.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
We are in same position car I Janets name motorhome in mine. Have insured with Comfort and AIB no issues.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi, Hope you are all keeping well!
Now we are both retired, thinking of selling one of our cars and making do with one.
The Motorhome is in my name the car that will remain is in the missus' name, and I am a named driver on her car insurance.
I seem to remember when I renewed my Motorhome insurance with Advance insurance I had to provide all sorts of info and proof of owning and insuring another vehicle in my name.
My question is I suppose, anybody in the same position?, and is it a problem getting Motorhome insurance or keeping the MoHo policy I have if I will be just a named driver on another vehicle? And does the premium rocket without another 'Primary/First' vehicle in one's name.?
Advance insurance closed , and bank holiday so thought I'd ask if anyone has/had a similar situation.
Very Many Thanks in advance.

The MH is the only vehicle in my name and I had no trouble insuring it. I am a named driver though on my husbands 3 cars!

OP
OP
T

ThisIsTheLife

Free Member
Jan 4, 2018
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 35
Exp
Since 2017
Many thanks to everybody who responded. Much appreciated.
I called my current insurer broker (Advance Insurance) and they said that for the rest of the MoHo’s insurance year there is no problem if I sell My main car.
Hopefully , and reassured by other Funsters , I trust all will be ok on renewal too, ie without a a main primary vehicle/car , (and just being a named driver on a car ) .
Cheers stay safe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back