Moho Electrician In Lancs Needed (1 Viewer)

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
We have a 2008 Swift Sundance 590 RS which has developed an electrical fault. When on EHU the leisure battery isn't charging.

The control panel shows the EHU is in place, and everything which runs off 240v works - space heating, water heater, electric ring on the cooker etc. However it appears that all the 12v equipment is running directly off the leisure battery as the battery gradually goes flat. As we flattened the leisure battery completely before we noticed the battery wasn't charging, it is quite likely that we have ruined the battery.

When the engine is running, the alternator charges the leisure battery as normal so it appears to be either the 240v battery charger or maybe something as simple as a fuse.

Can anyone recommend anyone reliable in the Manchester/Lancashire area we could get to look at the problem for us ? As newbies, and not really knowing what we are talking about, we are a bit bothered about getting fleeced !

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi... have you got any information /instructions... with the vehicle..
You could if you spent a little time check the real basic stuff yourself....
Your charger will run off your 230v cosumer unit... check the charger is switched on ,or at least if it has a switch.. most have that facility...
If all that seems in order and you don't feel confident taking it further yourself, then look for help...
It does pay to at least know your way round the basic facilities in your van like breaker/fuse locations and how everything is supposed to work... that way there's less chance of people ripping you off .....
Andy.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it may well just be the fuse on the charger, or as suggested switched off by accident

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Being such a newbie, I hadn't thought of it being switched off by accident ! I know where the unit is, so when I collect the van at weekend (we keep it on a Casoa site) I will have a prod around.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The unit itself could be switched off or the breaker that supplies it in your mains distribution box could have tripped.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
If you do all the checks the others have suggested and still need an auto electrician I can highly recommend Browns in Walton Summit, south of Preston. Family run business, we always deal with Dad Paul or Son Stewart. Always go the extra mile with first class service.

https://www.brownsautoelectrical.co.uk/

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Thanks Allan and Loren. If I can't sort it with a bit of a prod and poke around, I will certainly give them a try as they aren't too far away.

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Just to update you good people. I bought a digital multimeter, read everything I could, and then had a good poke and prod around, all to no avail. I then changed the leisure battery as it wasn't holding much of a charge and voila, the problem disappeared ! The leisure battery was fitted by the previous owner, and was a make I have never heard of, and was so light that I could pick it up with one hand, which for a supposedly 110 ah battery is just ridiculous. I don't pretend to know why the battery going kaput gave that symptom. Maybe one of our more knowledgeable members has an idea ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back