Modified my Kayak Today (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We have an aquaglide chinook kayak and today I modified it so I can fit a small electric outboard motor to it

I cut a piece of ply to fit inbetween the hood and the tubes and this held in place by the air pressure in the tubes and once inflated it is rock solid

I then fitted a piece of drain pipe and a bit of decking board to make the transom type board for the outboard to fit onto

Just need to go and try it now once I get a neat little gel battery to run the motor which is a watersnake ASP T24

Any recomendations for what battery to use would be appreciated

20190713_141200.jpg
20190713_141155.jpg
20190713_141143.jpg

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
that's the height of laziness :D2:D2:D2:LOL:... like all those with electric bikes that don't really need them:unsure::LOL:...

on a serious note... looks the job as long as the ply is secure when inflated..
im not sure what voltage those golf buggies use but I think its 12v so maybe look at those batteries... should be compact and guaranteed to last a while..
Andy

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
It's mainly done for when I go mackerel fishing in Weymouth as it can take some padling at times to get out to where I want to be
Plus I can troll along leaving both hands free for fishing
It's rock solid when inflated the tubes push the board up against the hood and trap it tight it can't come out it's impossible as the seat fits just in front of the ply so no room for the board to come out and outboard only weighs 2.2kg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Put some protection along the edge of the board so it can't damage the kayak - even though it is held tight there will be some give and you don't want to rub a hole in your kayak!

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have now sanded the edges so they are smoother than a babies bum, I did think about covering the whole board in gaffer tape to avoid any splinters that may appear

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
That "ply" is actually OSB board and generally isn't waterproof. Have you got an offcut you could sit in some water and just check that it doesn't start to break up ?

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
What about a couple of coats of varnish just found half a tin in the garage

In theory it should not get wet unless I capsized then that wood is the least of my worries

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have now sanded the edges so they are smoother than a babies bum, I did think about covering the whole board in gaffer tape to avoid any splinters that may appear
What about some hosepipe split lengthways and then slotted over the edge?

Oh, and don't forget a counter balance for the 'non-motor' end otherwise it could be a bit topsy-turvy! :doh:

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
What about some hosepipe split lengthways and then slotted over the edge?

Oh, and don't forget a counter balance for the 'non-motor' end otherwise it could be a bit topsy-turvy! :doh:

The motor only weighs 2kg and from the youtube videos I have watched there does not seem to be a problem with weight distribution hose pipe could be a good idea

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Gaffa tape? Paint it? Hose pipe? What a load of bodgers!

Use the sterling board as a template and make it out of a lovely piece of Teak!

If you go to Weymouth pop along to Cobbs Quay Marina in Poole and the Teak place there will sell you a bit, or would probably make you one there and then as have a template

Gaffa tape indeed!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Gaffa tape? Paint it? Hose pipe? What a load of bodgers!

Use the sterling board as a template and make it out of a lovely piece of Teak!

If you go to Weymouth pop along to Cobbs Quay Marina in Poole and the Teak place there will sell you a bit, or would probably make you one there and then as have a template

Gaffa tape indeed!
I was thinking more along the lines of a plastic chopping board ... waterproof and if the OP got peckish it could be used for filleting some of the fish he's caught on and having some sushimi (assuming he caught any fish of course!). :imoutahere:

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Look guys this is not off my fairline phantom it's for a blow up kayak and will not be seen when it's tucked under the hood, to use a nice piece of teak then bolt the white drain pipe and piece of decking board to it seems a little over the top don't you think it's just for a bit of fishing it's not going to be the prettiest thing in the marina

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Look guys this is not off my fairline phantom it's for a blow up kayak and will not be seen when it's tucked under the hood, to use a nice piece of teak then bolt the white drain pipe and piece of decking board to it seems a little over the top don't you think it's just for a bit of fishing it's not going to be the prettiest thing in the marina
Its a relief that you're too 'precious' about it ... I was gonna suggest using a lemonade bottle with water in to counter-balance the motor if needs be but didn't think it would look 'good' with the teak but as you mentioned the drainpipe it would fit the 'theme' nicely!!! :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Looking forward to finding out how it goes.

We are also looking at outboards for when we get our new IKs but many of the outboards are for freshwater only.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Standards! Some people have no standards. ?

What is the world coming to?

Ian

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Looking forward to finding out how it goes.

We are also looking at outboards for when we get our new IKs but many of the outboards are for freshwater only.

Mine is for salt water use as well it's called a watersnake ast 24 and it is more power than I need I tried it out today will try and post a video when I work out how to do it

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I applaud your attempt but ... it looks like you're doing and impression of a boating Egyptian whilst desperately trying not to turn right! :D

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Next thing is to extend the handle on the outboard so I am not reaching behind me

One thing is for sure it bats on a fair bit in high speed mode won't take me long to get out to fish

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Next thing is to extend the handle on the outboard so I am not reaching behind me

One thing is for sure it bats on a fair bit in high speed mode won't take me long to get out to fish

I'd be a little concerned as to how far "out" you want to get? One advantage of paddle power is that it gives limited range based on your fitness and whilst the motor will probably give you a better chance of getting back in if the wind picks up, its not infallible. Sorry to be so negative but the bulk of current RNLI call outs described in the press as "kayaker" tend to be Sit on Tops or inflatables - often with people fishing from them, normally in estuaries or harbours that they considered safe.

I know you have a bigger boat so probably have a better understanding than most of the dangers but you are putting a lot of faith in what is essentially a expensive toy not designed for use at sea. You are then adding a further level of potential failure. At the very least I hope you're taking your handheld vhf and / or epirb with you.

I'm all for adventures but this has misadventure written all over it - something we've all done and thankfully got away with - but sadly that's not always the outcome. Here endeth the sermon!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It looks like good fun..
All valid points above of course and the bow is high which will cause a huge problem if wind gets up...
But for a bit summer fishing close inshore in an area with a few other craft about it should be good fun.. a vhf radio will be handy as well..?

I suppose by the time you have the fish in the bow the trim will be right????
Andy..

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I will only be going a couple of hundred yards out max, I will of course take my hand held vhf. The bow will not be this high as the wife comes too so she will sit up front this was purely a test of the motor hence me not going more than 50 yds out in no more than 6ft of water
The motor will be used on low power to trawl along in certain conditions and we will both have our paddles with us as a back up.
I do not use the kayak in strong winds or tides I have had a few large boats and I know how the sea rules the roost this is just a bit of fun for use in calm conditions on the sea close in and for on slow rivers and the canals
I am sure we will have many hrs of great fun using this as it's a very relaxing way getting on the water.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've been thinking of your 'balance' as mentioned previously ... you could get another motor for the other side then you might be able to turn it into a speed boat and do the equivalent of 'wheelies'! :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Lanerboy would love to see it in action in person :)

Still no decision on our new boats and I am wanting to get them ordered and in use......... I am thinking of a 2 week get away in September maybe fairly local, up into Fife (kayaking at Lochore and cycling), then either across to Callendar (cycle track on the old railway) or further north on the upper section of the Sustrans Lochs and Castles route. I just need to work out some of the stress and tension that is building up.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I will only be going a couple of hundred yards out max, I will of course take my hand held vhf. The bow will not be this high as the wife comes too so she will sit up front this was purely a test of the motor hence me not going more than 50 yds out in no more than 6ft of water
The motor will be used on low power to trawl along in certain conditions and we will both have our paddles with us as a back up.
I do not use the kayak in strong winds or tides I have had a few large boats and I know how the sea rules the roost this is just a bit of fun for use in calm conditions on the sea close in and for on slow rivers and the canals
I am sure we will have many hrs of great fun using this as it's a very relaxing way getting on the water.
I know you are going to get fed up with everyone being an "expert" but now your Kayak has been modified there is no telling if it is within design limits

Broken Link Removed

Just rember "lets be careful out there" Many years ago I had been to europe kayaking with friends on some of its biggest waters in Germany and Austria, that autumn my mate who who came on that trip Drowned on a benign river in the UK, he was a highly competent paddler but was alone and no one knew he had gone out. They found his Kayak first then his body 3 days later.

So make sure someone knows where you are going and how long you are going to be.

Be Safe and enjoy the fishing

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I will only ever use the motor on speed 1 which is about the same speed as 2 people paddling so I don't think it is going to make much difference to the design capabilities, it is nice to know I have speed 2 as a small safety net there just in case the wind was to start getting up or the current on a river was a bit faster in a certain part.

The main object as I have said is I can trawl along on speed one in calm conditions when fishing leaving both hands free as I can lock the motor in position so it takes me in a straight line.

Or if I was to be on the river Avon for instance we can just meander up the river enjoying the peace of just sitting there moving slowly along

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Going alone is never recommended. A group of 3 craft is recommended so that if one craft gets into trouble another can stay with the casualty and the third go for help. With the advent of mobile phone having to go for help is sometimes dismissed but many places do not have mobile phone coverage - in a river gorge for example.

Having said that we often go out in two craft but make sure we are well within our capabilities, have someone on shore who will raise the alarm in an emergency and always always always check the weather forecast.

Lanerboy which batteries did you get?

Think we may well get SeaEagle Razorlite SE393 kayaks but still not 100% sure. It depends on if they will tailor the package to what we want as we already have seats, paddles etc.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back