Modernising a MH interior. (1 Viewer)

ThinkingAbout

Free Member
Jul 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
We’ve been priced out of the new MH we wanted to buy so looking at some second hand. What kind of things can you do to change the interior and what doesn’t work? I’m guessing you can change the flooring, get the seats re-upholstered, but what about the table top/work tops and cupboard fronts/walls etc? I’m guessing you can’t just paint etc any other tips and tricks to make getting an older one seem like the right thing to do?

Also curtains versus blinds? This one has cab curtains which sit by the captains chairs rather than window blinds in the cab. we always thought we wanted blinds, but the curtains will be ok or annoying?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Also curtains versus blinds? This one has cab curtains which sit by the captains chairs rather than window blinds in the cab. we always thought we wanted blinds, but the curtains will be ok or annoying?
I ve just broken my heart and my wallet by purchasing the front blinds. £740 nicker versus £30 for a curtain rail.
Its all very individual but take a look at prices before setting your wifes heart on it !

If I were in the second hand market I would take a look at exactly what is on offer between 2 different motorhomes and give quite an amount of weight (pun intended) to awning, LPG system, extra battery, extra solar, alarm, inverter, decent carpet as these things can add up.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Having had both blinds and curtains, different motorhomes, prefer the curtains, we do use silver screens when very hot or cold, but the curtains are better for cooler weather, can get in the way, but blinds can be difficult too especially after a few 🍷🍷
talking about windscreen, prefer blinds at the side windows.
If to use a van you really like, layout wise and it has the right payload and seatbelts, go for it, but do nothing till you have used it for a bit, then you will know what you really want/need to change.
When I first saw the type of van we bought my first thought was that I loved it but couldn’t live with the upholstery. We bought new but off the forecourt so no chance to change, kept it as it was and still, 2 vans and 12 years on, miss the upholstery in the first van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Someone on here a few months ago had fitted a cab curtain deliberately to cut out the cold air in the front bit of the MH.
Reckoned it worked
A revamped interior can give you a very individual, personalised vehicle

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Upholstery and be recovered. Cabinets can be wrapped, painted or doors replaced. Flooring can be recovered or replaced.

I fitted cab blinds in my last van. Cost about £700. But very convenient and save a lot of space as the cab seats didn't have curtains draped across them. We did a lot of wild camping, so we always wanted the option to be able to move on quickly if we needed to. They don't keep the heat in or out as well as an external silver screen, and you do get condensation. I can't imagine curtains would be any better.

Bits that are harder to update are things like the bathroom.

OP
OP
T

ThinkingAbout

Free Member
Jul 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
Thanks all, that’s good to know. Especially about being able to wrap cabinets etc if needed i the future. I always though we would have blinds, but maybe curtains will be ok.
this one despite being 2017 doesn’t have solar, not sure about alarm/inverter/battery amounts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back