Models and spares availability - little help please (1 Viewer)

CynicalMechanic

Free Member
Sep 9, 2017
Funster No
Hey guys,

So I'll be buying a 5/6 berth motorhome soon and I'm doing my research... Lots of research as while I know cars/vans I am a complete newbie when it comes to motorhomes.

So with 12k+3k to spend (the 3k being for repairs/stuff) I'm finding I am looking at a 90s-early 00's model.

The thing that generally kills a car/van is either poor spares availability or a poor model in a range. I'm guessing this is the same for motorhomes but can't seem to find any reliable info online.

So anyone able to suggest any models I should avoid from those years?

For example we've looked at a few CI's but I'm put off as I was told by a caravanning neighbour the company went of business and so spares might be an issue.

All help much appreciated - a little at sea here!

J

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Hey guys,

So I'll be buying a 5/6 berth motorhome soon and I'm doing my research... Lots of research as while I know cars/vans I am a complete newbie when it comes to motorhomes.

So with 12k+3k to spend (the 3k being for repairs/stuff) I'm finding I am looking at a 90s-early 00's model.

The thing that generally kills a car/van is either poor spares availability or a poor model in a range. I'm guessing this is the same for motorhomes but can't seem to find any reliable info online.

So anyone able to suggest any models I should avoid from those years?

For example we've looked at a few CI's but I'm put off as I was told by a caravanning neighbour the company went of business and so spares might be an issue.

All help much appreciated - a little at sea here!

J

C.I. were taken over by the Trigano group - a huge international conglomerate.

https://www.motorhomefreedom.com/motorhomes/trigano/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CynicalMechanic

Free Member
Sep 9, 2017
Funster No
I'm guessing spares aren't really going to be a problem then! I can deal with the cab/mechanics it's the specific shed type widgets that I guess are used by these manufactures for the habitat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just like caravans, all the living area parts are made by a few companies an standard across multiple manufacturers and model ranges. the mechanical parts are standard van parts. all readily available for vans back to 1990ish

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hab spares aren't generally a problem as many identical parts are used by many converters.
Only thing may be cabinet doors etc as they most probably will be model specific.
It could be years before base vehicle spares become hard to find as the manufacturers have to keep supplying for at least ten years after production stops plus there's always aftermarket non genuine parts suppliers.
It's only in the last few years early (80s) Talbot headlamps have become very difficult, but not impossible, to find so that may give you some idea of availability.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CynicalMechanic

Free Member
Sep 9, 2017
Funster No
Thanks, totally agree with the cab parts.

Most of the stuff I restore or work on car/van wise is more than 30 yrs old. Body trim parts for sure can occasionally be difficult to source but the important mechanical parts are never an issue except for US stuff. Plus as long as you know your aftermarket sources, they're usually superior and cheaper than the branded ones!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back