Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and having read some pretty dire tales about Marquis and issues on delivery of Mobilvetta does any one have positive feedback?

I was looking at the yacht 80 for the rear lounge and drop down beds - any alternative suggestions for similar layouts?

We are visiting the motorhome show in Dusseldorf in August with a view to exploring sourcing a LHD.

Thanks

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Buying a MH is not like buying a car. Your contract is with the supplying dealer and they are responsible for repairs not the manufacturer. The dealer then claims the cost of repairs from the manufacturer. If you buy your shinny new MH outside the Uk don't expect the local dealer to look after the waranty work. The factory don't pay the same hourly rate as the dealer would not rally charge. So you pays your money and takes your pick. Any serious problems will have to be handled through the appropriate court in whatever country you buy in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
That's an interesting one - but I get the impression that many others have been down this route already and haven't seen massive issues raised - unless I'm looking I the wrong forums?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Buying a MH is not like buying a car. Your contract is with the supplying dealer and they are responsible for repairs not the manufacturer. The dealer then claims the cost of repairs from the manufacturer. If you buy your shinny new MH outside the Uk don't expect the local dealer to look after the waranty work. The factory don't pay the same hourly rate as the dealer would not rally charge. So you pays your money and takes your pick. Any serious problems will have to be handled through the appropriate court in whatever country you buy in.
On our second German import not had any problems re warranty work in fact the dealers are very helpful if you know who to talk too.
Imho you will get a lot more for your money in Germany good luck(y)(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Hi QFour
Many thanks for the confirmation. If you have any info you are prepared to share regarding dealers/contacts and procedures of import it would be gratefully received

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We bought ours from Dürrwang,Dortmund they have been excellent, @Lenny HB got his at Campirama, Belgium and he has had several imported vans.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Just my opinion .. There are some lemons about even in expensive MH’s .. Down to what you buy and if the local dealer is prepared to sort it.

Upvote 1
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just my opinion .. There are some lemons about even in expensive MH’s .. Down to what you buy and if the local dealer is prepared to sort it.
Have you ever bought one from accross the channel?

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Chaps,

I honestly think that we shouldn't be comparing the Hymer Brand to the likes of Mobilvetta in terms of international warranty support etc.

We all know that Hymer run a good ship (for a converter) but I don't think for one second that any of the twelve UK-based Marquis branches will support a van which has not been purchased from them in the first instance.

If the OP buys a van abroad at a discounted price then he/she will need to return it to its original supplying dealer for warranty work and that's a big risk.

Personally speaking I would have no hesitation in buying a Hymer abroad but a Mobilvetta, well, that's a big ask IMO.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We bought our Rapido from Marquis and they have been excellent. Can’t fault their service at all.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Personally speaking I would have no hesitation in buying a Hymer abroad but a Mobilvetta, well, that's a big ask IMO.
I quite agree I must admit we looked at the yaught as we liked the layout however the payload was not good glad we bought a Hymer.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Roller Team's new Pegaso 745 is a new kid on the block possibly worth a look?

U shape rear lounge and a drop down cab bed.

Upvote 0

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Chaps,

I honestly think that we shouldn't be comparing the Hymer Brand to the likes of Mobilvetta in terms of international warranty support etc.

We all know that Hymer run a good ship (for a converter) but I don't think for one second that any of the twelve UK-based Marquis branches will support a van which has not been purchased from them in the first instance.

If the OP buys a van abroad at a discounted price then he/she will need to return it to its original supplying dealer for warranty work and that's a big risk.

If you buy a motorhome from a European manufacturer anywhere within the EU, then UK dealers MUST carry out warranty work on it. If they refuse then inform Trading Standards. This remains in place for any vehicle imported before and during the transition period.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you buy a motorhome from a European manufacturer anywhere within the EU, then UK dealers MUST carry out warranty work on it. If they refuse then inform Trading Standards. This remains in place for any vehicle imported before and during the transition period.

Do me a huge favour and please advise on the following scenerio; i.e. since you are well versed with the laws etc.

It will be useful for the rest of the motorhome fraternity too:

Scenerio: A customer with no PX visits one of the 12 branches of Marquis Leisure to find that a Mobilvetta 999K Yacht costs £75,000. After a wee bit of negotiation the Marquis team agree to sell it for £72,000 and throw in a few goodies to secure the sale. That night the Marquis sales guy sleeps well in his bed knowing that he has just earned £12,000 clear profit for the company and without the inconvenience of taking a PX. A big result thinks he!

The next day the customer decides to hunt for the best price and realises that he/she can import a Mobilvetta from Europe for £60,000. "Wow", says he, "A saving of 15 grand on the UK list price and 12k off the negotiated price with Marquis". What a result.

"Why does everyone not do this and save a small fortune" says he, while feeling comfortably smug with himself in the knowledge that he has saved a fortune while having the peace of mind that Marquis has 12 country-wide service centers in the UK.

The customer travels over to Germany to order his van and 6-months later he gets the call to pop over the pond to collect.

A further 3-months goes by and the customer has accumulated a snag list of which one point on said list is quite serious.

Question: Does the customer now go to Marquis (UK) as the sole supplier of Mobilvettas and ask/insist on them doing the warranty work.

Cheers,

Andrew

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I've already emailed the manufacturer asking for clarity on this point - I will post any information as and when (if) they respond.

I don't really see the difference between a motorhome and a car, surely the warranty can be applied anywhere through an approved dealer/distributor? Although I take the point that as Marquis have sole distributorship in the UK they are in an incredibly strong position to mess a customer around with no easy alternative site to visit for rectification/warranty works. However as some of the feedback on Marquis aftersales for their own direct customers isn't too good how much worse can it get?

My intention is to purchase a motorhome on retirement to be used eventually for longer term touring in Europe so I suppose the same question exists, if I purchase from Marquis how do I get warranty work resolved if abroad?

My experience with companies who default on a legally correct position is that a strongly worded letter or the issue of a small court claim produces a very swift response and making good the required works! Small court claims are fantastic and relatively low cost method of speeding up a process but would strongly advise ONLY use when you know you are 100% in the right - effectively it is a no lose gamble. If the company do not respond within specific time limits to defend their actions then you win automatically, if you are 100% confident of your position what defence can the company lodge? I haven't yet looked at the specific issue of motorhomes yet, but if Mobilvetta commit in writing as per the European directive it puts Marquis into a very weak position.

Upvote 0

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Of course they may not be able to fit you in for six months.
Great, you contact the manufacturer and say that their authorised dealer is messing you around, that unless they can address your issues within a reasonable time (1 month) you will exercise your rights and get the work done elsewhere and bill them accordingly.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've already emailed the manufacturer asking for clarity on this point - I will post any information as and when (if) they respond.

I don't really see the difference between a motorhome and a car, surely the warranty can be applied anywhere through an approved dealer/distributor? Although I take the point that as Marquis have sole distributorship in the UK they are in an incredibly strong position to mess a customer around with no easy alternative site to visit for rectification/warranty works. However as some of the feedback on Marquis aftersales for their own direct customers isn't too good how much worse can it get?

My intention is to purchase a motorhome on retirement to be used eventually for longer term touring in Europe so I suppose the same question exists, if I purchase from Marquis how do I get warranty work resolved if abroad?

My experience with companies who default on a legally correct position is that a strongly worded letter or the issue of a small court claim produces a very swift response and making good the required works! Small court claims are fantastic and relatively low cost method of speeding up a process but would strongly advise ONLY use when you know you are 100% in the right - effectively it is a no lose gamble. If the company do not respond within specific time limits to defend their actions then you win automatically, if you are 100% confident of your position what defence can the company lodge? I haven't yet looked at the specific issue of motorhomes yet, but if Mobilvetta commit in writing as per the European directive it puts Marquis into a very weak position.

It would be worth your while starting a new thread in the Motorhome Chat section whereby you ask the exact same question(s) about the warranty, legal and contract issues from an international; manufacturers and dealer perspective.

Don't forget though that your contract will solely be with the dealer and not the manufacturer, unless you buy a van such as a Hymer which attempts to underpin its products by a pan-euro warranty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
If you are going to make such funny statements in future ,please forewarn us as You caused me to nearly choke on the whole nuts in my muesli ! Luckily I wasn't holding my mug of tea or I could have been badly scalded !
Just something like " Ok are you ready "
Many thanks (y)

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
A Motorhome Dealer is just that. He buys and sells MH’s. He undertakes to provide a service to repair it if neccisary and claim back from the manufacturer the cost of repairing it. He is under no obligation whatsoever to repair anything he has not supplied. You cannot force a Company to repair something just because you think they should. Your contract is with the supplying Dealer. It’s not with the manufacturer or your local Dealer because he is only two minutes away and you think he should fix it.

Perhaps some of you should read the Sale of Goods Act ..

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
But why even put yourself in a position where this may happen when the vehicle you're after is readily available in the UK and not just at Marquis, you appear to be unconcerned about distance, why not have chat with the Motorhome Company in Perthshire?

Motorhome dealers tend to prioritise their own customers as many of them have been with them for a number of years and are on their 2nd or 3rd van from them. They'll rectify your faults but you'll be at the back of the queue.

You also have to consider the added cost of having the motorhome UK compliant and legal. For example the speedometer must primarily read MPH, an extra rear fog light maybe required etc. All of this work will cost and must be inspected for a further cost at a UK MOT centre and be classed as standard. There is reams of paperwork which must be completed in full and great detail.

You then have to consider the cost of the inspection to ensure it will receive type approval... after the work is done to replace the 2 pin sockets and possibly further electrical work... More money.

When you have all of that then you can pay your 20% VAT which goes on the base price and extras. This is on top of the VAT you've already paid in the Motorhome's country of origin.

Lastly you'll only be able to have 3rd party insurance until the vehicle is in the UK then there'll be the struggle to find an insurer to give you fully comp' until all of the above is satisfied.

I remember Brownhills had a large number of surplus Swifts built for Sweden, the Toscana. Brownhills were selling them well below the Bessacarr equivalent price but still needed to change a good many details.

Also as an example of motorhomes being different to cars... I drive a Yeti, within less than an hours drive I have a choice of five approved dealerships. For our Tracker there's one and Ebor in York will fit us in when and if they can. Brownhills get us in as soon as possible as we bought our van from them.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Great, you contact the manufacturer and say that their authorised dealer is messing you around, that unless they can address your issues within a reasonable time (1 month) you will exercise your rights and get the work done elsewhere and bill them accordingly.

You should try that with Swift they just refer you back to the Dealer who sold it to you in the first place. Tried to find another Dealer to repair ours but no one wanted to know. All said they were to busy to look at it.

However if it’s something they can charge you for like a Habitation Check then fine.

Upvote 0

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
A Motorhome Dealer is just that. He buys and sells MH’s. He undertakes to provide a service to repair it if neccisary and claim back from the manufacturer the cost of repairing it. He is under no obligation whatsoever to repair anything he has not supplied. You cannot force a Company to repair something just because you think they should. Your contract is with the supplying Dealer. It’s not with the manufacturer or your local Dealer because he is only two minutes away and you think he should fix it.

Perhaps some of you should read the Sale of Goods Act ..

Or alternatively you could get up to date and refer to the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

If your vehicle comes with a manufacturers pan European warranty your claim is against the manufacturer, not the dealer .

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Or alternatively you could get up to date and refer to the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

If your vehicle comes with a manufacturers pan European warranty your claim is against the manufacturer, not the dealer .

OK, so you've bought a Mobilvetta from Italy or Germany and 4-months after getting it back to the UK it goes horribly wrong (the habitation bit).

You've not got a contract with Marquis, for obvious reasons, so using the Consumer Rights Act 2015 what would you do and who would you approach to resolve said issue.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Do me a huge favour and please advise on the following scenerio; i.e. since you are well versed with the laws etc.

It will be useful for the rest of the motorhome fraternity too:

Scenerio: A customer with no PX visits one of the 12 branches of Marquis Leisure to find that a Mobilvetta 999K Yacht costs £75,000. After a wee bit of negotiation the Marquis team agree to sell it for £72,000 and throw in a few goodies to secure the sale. That night the Marquis sales guy sleeps well in his bed knowing that he has just earned £12,000 clear profit for the company and without the inconvenience of taking a PX. A big result thinks he!

The next day the customer decides to hunt for the best price and realises that he/she can import a Mobilvetta from Europe for £60,000. "Wow", says he, "A saving of 15 grand on the UK list price and 12k off the negotiated price with Marquis". What a result.

"Why does everyone not do this and save a small fortune" says he, while feeling comfortably smug with himself in the knowledge that he has saved a fortune while having the peace of mind that Marquis has 12 country-wide service centers in the UK.

The customer travels over to Germany to order his van and 6-months later he gets the call to pop over the pond to collect.

A further 3-months goes by and the customer has accumulated a snag list of which one point on said list is quite serious.

Question: Does the customer now go to Marquis (UK) as the sole supplier of Mobilvettas and ask/insist on them doing the warranty work.

Cheers,

Andrew

Marquis and Mobilvetta are both part of the Trigano group of companies. Common ownership.

The obvious question should be why the Mobilvetta retail list price (in Euros) for the same model is not the same in Germany and the UK, and why there doesn't seem to be a pan-European warranty (presumably there isn't one) for all Trigano group MHs so every franchised Mobilvetta dealer is obliged to carry out warranty work regardless?

I thought EU freedom of movement of goods and services ought to provide the same benefits to UK consumers as those in Germany or Italy. Apparently not.

[NB I am leaving aside for the moment the question of law which was helpfully addressed above by @fastpat.]

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Marquis and Mobilvetta are both part of the Trigano group of companies. Common ownership.

The obvious question should be why the Mobilvetta retail list price (in Euros) for the same model is not the same in Germany and the UK, and why there doesn't seem to be a pan-European warranty (presumably there isn't one) for all Trigano group MHs so every franchised Mobilvetta dealer is obliged to carry out warranty work regardless?

I thought EU freedom of movement of goods and services ought to provide the same benefits to UK consumers as those in Germany or Italy. Apparently not.

[NB I am leaving aside for the moment the question of law which was helpfully addressed above by @fastpat.]

Great, you've mentioned some fantastic points there which hopefully will be utilised by the OP in his talks with Mobilvetta/Trigano to help determ the warranty and service responsibilities by a UK dealer on a non-UK sourced van.

This could be ground breaking stuff.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

But you don’t have a Contract with the Manufacturer you only have a Contract with the Supplier / Dealer

Can you please post a link to the specific piece of Legislation regarding Pan European Warranty and 2015 Consumer Rights with regard to Motorhomes

As the Motorhome will be bought in Germany / Italy or somewhere else the Contact for the supply of said Motorhome will be based on the laws of the Country in which it was signed. You should also look at Consumer Law for Germany / Spain / Italy Etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back