Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi all
I have recently bought a Mobilsat system from a fellow Funster but it was minus the mounting plate.
I have enquired on the price and was told it would be £75 plus VAT and carriage:Eeek::Eeek:
That will take it over the £100 mark.
Is there anybody out there that has a spare one for sale? Or anyone have an alternative idea for mounting the dish?
Picture of dish below.
image.jpeg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You can buy aluminium plate off eBay. Minimum thickness needed probably 6mm. Drill & tap for stainless 8mm CSK in the requisite positions. Cut slot for cables. Fit screws then PU adhesive to roof with screw heads downwards. I can't think of any other satisfactory or cheaper way of doing it. Large lumps of aluminium don't come cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium...hash=item3cdb39c8c1:m:mKBE0eD_9J-4xNGFh6oT2KA

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is it not feasible to fix to directly the roof without a plate .. using Sikaflex and self tapping screws ?

if not.

How about..

10MM THICK NYLON CAST SHEET PLATE .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10MM-THIC...hash=item1c333e77ce:m:mKRY73_9WpbjRB8c_mVX9rg

It's cheaper and a lot easier to shape with hand tools than ally

Cut the nylon to the shape of the base, cut a slot for the cable, drill and tap 6 off 8mm fixing holes ..

Fix the plate onto the roof with Sikaflex adhesive.. then fix the dish onto the plate with 8mm x 12 mm stainless steel screws. ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have the same system and you can Sikaflex it to roof or as suggest above buy a plate and cut to size.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Is it not feasible to fix to directly the roof without a plate .. using Sikaflex and self tapping screws ?

if not.

How about..

10MM THICK NYLON CAST SHEET PLATE .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10MM-THIC...hash=item1c333e77ce:m:mKRY73_9WpbjRB8c_mVX9rg

It's cheaper and a lot easier to shape with hand tools than ally

Cut the nylon to the shape of the base, cut a slot for the cable, drill and tap 6 off 8mm fixing holes ..

Fix the plate onto the roof with Sikaflex adhesive.. then fix the dish onto the plate with 8mm x 12 mm stainless steel screws. ..
Have gone for the nylon sheet Jim......thanks
Is there any particular Sikaflex product to use? I can see a lot of 221 on EBay but 252 seems to be the adhesive rather than sealant.
Thanks for your help.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sikaflex 252 and Sika Activator

I fitted an Alden dish, no screws, just Sikaflex 252 , and this was the instructions..

1. Use a pencil to mark the place of the external unit of the panel

2. Sand the surface you must glue with sandpaper.

3. Clean each surface with a thinner.

4. Spread Sika-Aktivator on the sanded surface.

Leave to dry for 15 to 20 minutes

1. Glue generously the underside of the unit with SikaFlex 252 then press slightly on it. Layer of glue: ± 3 mm.
7. To accelerate the polymerization, spray a little water on the visible parts of the glue.

Leave to dry for 24 hours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back