Mobility scooter in Moho garage - any guidance from experienced? (1 Viewer)

casagodfrey

Free Member
May 8, 2009
Funster No
Hi,
any advice from mobility scooter users would be gratefully received.
We have swapped our motorhome for one with a large rear garage.
We intend to carry my 4mph mobility scooter in It.
I would love to hear from someone with specific experience of this with regard to -
- ramp length and type they use.
- tie down methods that they use.

I am aware of what is in the market place and product associated with this issue, also aware of what to worry about in terms of payload etc so (with the greatest respect) comments along these lines won’t really address this query.

The query is really targeted specifically towards members with specific current or recent experience of carrying a mobility scooter in their rear garage :). It’s all about the detail......

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We used to carry may FIL's mobility scooter in the garage.

I think most important (other than weight), is what type of mobility scooter ?

The FIL's one came apart. The seat lifted off the steering bars folded flat and the battery could be lifted out.
It meant we could get the scooter in the boot our Citroen Berlingo (which to be fair, is bigger than even a typical estate car boot)

I did not use ramps to get the scooter into either Berlingo or M/H, I just took off the seat, folded the bars flat and if there were two of us, we lifted it in, if only one then I'd lift out the battery. I could lift in the scooter myself, just.

One of the problems with (some?many?all?) scooters is, if there is no power then the drive wheels lock up.
It (sometimes?often?always?) is not possible to push the scooter 'out of gear'.
Which would mean you would need to 'drive' it up and down the ramps into your garage, I can see that would be a problem, even for someone able-bodied.

You may need to look at a ramp that you drive onto, get off the scooter, and the the ramp with scooter gets wound into the garage.

If you have one of those big mobility vehicles, my FIL had one as well, we delivered it in the back of the Berlingo, but I had to take the rear car seats out to get it in, and it took three of us to get it in and out.
With the befit of hindsight I should have put it on a trailer, which unless your have a Race Spec motorhome, would be the only way to move a larger mobility vehicle.

Tie down. Did not bother, you just heap stuff on top!

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK I no longer need my scooter but I always got one that dismantled ( batteries out, rear axle removable, seat off - all handlebars fold anyway ) this is what I mean

2012-07-02 10.04.50.jpg

I even found one that was 8mph that dismantled similar and would pull a bicycle luggage trailer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

casagodfrey

Free Member
May 8, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the responses.
I have two scooters. A Rascal Vista which comes apart as Madcaravanners does. The other is a Rascal Vision which is really not practical for transferring in a vehicle. The Vision is for local big hill work. The Vista is my vehicle based ride.

I thought about putting the Vista the Moho garage in parts as mentioned in previous post, but was concerned that this would give me more potential projectiles than necessary in the case of sudden braking or changes in direction whilst travelling.

Preference, for me, is to keep it fully assembled with tiller folded (maybe seat off). This would allow me to power the unit up the ramp (with a bit of additional grunt work where required). When turned off, the locked drive unit would add stability/traction and would also lift the rather aggressively sharp chassis away from my nice shiny floor.

The concern then becomes .....how long do my ramps need to be to avoid the scooter centre chassis bottoming out as it transitions from ramp gradient to garage floor.

hence query on ramp types and lashing down method...

I may have to a bit of Trig to get the answer on the ramp ......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back