Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Good rnorning,
Like many of we motor homers I like to take my wifi with me.
I have used a Huawei 5330 for a long time but would like to move to a 4g item.
I have tried a Vodafone unit that after 2 units & 3 batteries continued to over heat & only last 2 hours.
So I'm back to 3g.
I would welcome any advice & experiences you miight have had with other devices.
Thanks.
Barrie.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Lol I read that to say you like to take your wife with you:LOL:

@Minxy Girl is the one who keeps on top of the WiFi deals .

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Isn’t the newer Huewei 4G?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I use a permanently fitted 4G router if any good Barrie?

It's a Huawei B315 which I used constantly for 3 weeks and it was flawless. Word of warning though if you did go for one of these - it needs regulated 12v.

Just means adding something like this on the power line before the router:
Amazon product ASIN B0191D4REG
Mine came with two little antennas on the back which are pretty good, but I'm going to add a roof antenna to boost the signal even more.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@bjandlin - I did the same last year and upgraded my Huawei mifi to a 4G model - one with connections for an external aerial, which I also bought. So far so good but I was a bit peeved to discover that the 'Three' PAYG Feel at Home service will only provide 3G connections when abroad!
The moral of this tale is for you to save your money if you are using a 'Three' SIM!!

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It does seem to be the case that 4G devices are more power hungry than some of the older 3G models. If you're using it in your motorhome, there's no reason why you can't leave it powered via your 12v leisure battery at all times as once the internal battery is charged the power draw is very small.

We've not had any Huawei units overheat and rarely have any comments about battery life in general, so perhaps you got a bit unlucky with a faulty batch or one of your connected devices was constantly downloading. Most units use the same 1500mA battery but extended 3000mA versions are available if you really need the extended portability.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bjandlin
Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes I do take my wife as well ! would I dare not ?
I did consider the B513 as a main home & travel Wifi as the 3 tariff was good but as we are away from UK quite a bit the reversion to 3g & strangling of the signal was a bit off putting, Also the time restrictions as well. I've gone for a Vodafone 30 day 30gb contract Sim which they tell me will give full coverage for up to 4 months outside UK. I do find the signal not as good as my 3 Sim though but that's probably a geographical thing of cell masts near home.
I wondered if anyone had used other than Huawei ? Although they seem to be the market leader.
Thanks for your comments Addie, I did suggest in the shop that they maybe had a bad batch but the "technical" staff didn't seem to understand that concept.
I felt the device was OK & the batteries were the problem. Hay Ho, device returned for credit, hence looking for an alternative.
Anyway, thanks again for all your comments any more will be welcomed.
Barrie

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes I do take my wife as well ! would I dare not ?
I did consider the B513 as a main home & travel Wifi as the 3 tariff was good but as we are away from UK quite a bit the reversion to 3g & strangling of the signal was a bit off putting, Also the time restrictions as well. I've gone for a Vodafone 30 day 30gb contract Sim which they tell me will give full coverage for up to 4 months outside UK.

Do bare in mind that the terms and conditions state '2 months within a 4 month period' and not 4 months foreign use. If you've been told something to the contrary, make sure you have it in writing, as we've had a few customers caught out by this. Vodafone reserve the right to charge you, so be watching the SMS messages incoming to the SIM (using the Huawei HiLink app on a connected smart device) for this notification/warning. But you do get your full allowance, 4G and the ability to manually roam onto alternative networks that you don't get with Three.

"We’ll send you a text requesting you moderate your usage in our Roam-free destinations if you use them for a total of 2 months or more during any 4-month period. If your usage in any of our Roam-free destinations continues to exceed this allowance after a 2-week period from which you first received this text, we may charge you for further use or bar your roaming services."

It seems that misinformation is rife on this topic by Vodafone as this customer found out, only to be corrected by Vodafone staff:
https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Mob...oadband-and-EU-Travel-Time/m-p/2585164#M33502

B315 is a great router - but if powering from 12v it will require a DC-DC regulator as these units will fail if exposed to in excess of 12v (eg if your battery is on charge) in the long term.

The Huawei E5577CS-321 is the 3000mA version (thicker) than the E5577

Last edited:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I have no idea if it’s different on an inclusive phone package, but I have used mine constantly abroad for 5 months so far with no barring. ( vodafone) Hence I use the phone for tethering as a hotspot and have given up on the mifi dongle as the handset does it all. In fact I upgraded it just last month to a 60GB per month. ( also unlimited calls etc) And when I did so I clarified for the second time that I could use all of my allowance for the duration of my contract, I have this in writing twice now, and can only speak from experience that I have never been cut off or had any message to limit usage.
I am aware of the t&c but either it’s not policed, or they remove any limits on certain customers who actually ask, just guessing tho!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's 'cause you is speshull though ..... innit! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back