Mobile Wifi - Huawei advice please (1 Viewer)

csx355

Free Member
Mar 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 1999
Hi all - pretty sure that I am going to get a Huaweiweyhuwawah doobrey so that we can keep in touch when we want to get away from it all.

Settled on the Hwweyhowayhooey brand but cant really decide between the 5577 or the 5770. As far as I can tell the 5577 has the option of a mobile Aerial (not sure why I need a mermaid along for the ride) and the 5770 wont take an aerial but has more 'frequency' option?? This could mean improved coverage without an Aerial.

Any real life experience would be helpful.

OP
OP
csx355

csx355

Free Member
Mar 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 1999
Many thanks - just realized that I posted this in the wrong category - whoops!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I have an Huawei and use 3 most of the time ,mine works great .the only problem i have had is the first time i used it in France ,I rang 3 before going and was told by the 3 advisor that all was ok i and was set up to go .When i got to France nothing worked ,luckily my son rang me a week later from Angola and went online and told me my Huawei had not being set up by 3 for France .I gave my son the code for the Huawei and he set it upon his laptop and sent the info to my Huawei and it has worked brilliant ever since.The only advice i would give if going into Europe is is to ring your provider and double check you have being set up to use .

OP
OP
csx355

csx355

Free Member
Mar 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks Tree - I was planning on getting an unlocked model rather than one tied to my (EE) phone network and buying a SIM locally as needed. My dilemma was the model numbers seem to bear little relation to the release date of the product. i.e. newer models like the 300Mbps 5785 replaces the 5786?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi csx my Huawei is my own unlocked model but £13 for 20 gig a month with 3 is a good deal on 12 month contract lol. DATA ONLY

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I've used mine all round France without an aerial but sometimes I had to put unit resting on the blind in the roof light. But it mostly only picked up a 3 g signal. Maybe an aerial would have enabled a 4 g signal.
However when the 12 months sim ran out, I didn't buy another and just used the data on my phone and made phone a mobile hotspot for our tablets.
If you can find a good deal on data, using your phone saves having yet another device to turn on, boot up and keep charged up.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you are intending to "get away from it all" it implies that you might be out in the wilds a bit.
Out in the wilds is where the mobile signal strength is often weak so a mi-fi that can take an external antenna would be a good choice.
We use a window antenna which is black and about 6" square which attaches to the side window with suckers. It is left attached and plugged into the mi-fi all the time and has worked very well everywhere in France, even high in the hills.

Richard.

OP
OP
csx355

csx355

Free Member
Mar 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 1999
Excellent - you can tell I'm new to this Mobile Interweb Mullarky. I'll check out my options with my phone crowd and check 3 out as well.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Go for the 5577. You can use it without an aerial and it will work fine where there is a good signal. However, you will find you can't get a usable signal in some locations and that's where an external antenna is needed. I use a Netgear Aircard which should cost around £40. You don't have to have an external antenna and putting the MiFi up high or even on the roof will help - but with an antenna, and the best are mimo types with two leads, you will always get better reception.
I am going to fit an antenna on the roof soon for even better reception in marginal areas - but they aren't cheap so a bit of tooth sucking and loin girding needed before I take the plunge. :)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I've used mine all round France without an aerial but sometimes I had to put unit resting on the blind in the roof light. But it mostly only picked up a 3 g signal. Maybe an aerial would have enabled a 4 g signal.
However when the 12 months sim ran out, I didn't buy another and just used the data on my phone and made phone a mobile hotspot for our tablets.
If you can find a good deal on data, using your phone saves having yet another device to turn on, boot up and keep charged up.
Using a 3 sim I have only ever got a 3g signal in France.
Whenever I have tried to change the service provider to a 4g setting it tells me that it is 'not available'.
No problem in the UK though.

Richard.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We’re using a Huawei with a Netgear aerial all over Northern and Central France with a UK EE sim and a French RegloMobile sim, and most of the time we’ve been able to get a decent 4G signal. The aerial makes a small but useful difference.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Got the 4g roof antenna and Huawei router with mimo so i can work a bit whilst touring, all from motorhome WiFi.com - friendly bunch!
Serious bit of kit can even connect with cat5, bought an O2 data sim and got a mobile mini Huawei in the deal, 12g a month for £11(includes£2 for the mini Huawei)
Vans in storage for the week so can't quote model numbers.
Works well in UK, testing abroad next week

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Presently in Spain have been using a Huawei mifi unit for the last 11 weeks. Mine is the model with aerial connections though I have not used one and not found any real problems getting a reasonable 3G signal, never managed a 4. Also worth noting is if you go for a contract be it 15, 20 or 40gb per month (mine is 15gb) this is only allowed in the U.K., 3 and others have a fair usage policy when abroad which limits you to 12gb, go over as I inadventantly did and you pay a hefty price for the additional data. Also if you are using Apple devices switch off cloud sharing auto updates etc or your data allowance will disappear very quickly. Would also suggest you download the free HUAWEI app to monitor your usage and receive notifications once you use 75% and it has some interesting other uses.

OP
OP
csx355

csx355

Free Member
Mar 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 1999
Fantastic - thanks all.

I think that I am going to go with a model that gives me the option to use an aerial and try it without first - appreciate all the input. I think 3 have some pretty good deals still, 15GB for £20 at the moment with just a 1 month contract.

Always good to have real (virtual) world advice.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Fantastic - thanks all.

I think that I am going to go with a model that gives me the option to use an aerial and try it without first - appreciate all the input. I think 3 have some pretty good deals still, 15GB for £20 at the moment with just a 1 month contract.

Could be worth a look at!
Broken Link Removed
It's the unit I've got.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
P
Fantastic - thanks all.

probably a good way to go re the mifi. A lot depends on your mh construction. If its the sandwich type with inner aluminium layer, this acts as quite a signal blocker, hence reason i went for the external aerial generally makes a difference of 2 or 3 bars on the signal strength. Where we are at the mo. Inside van without aerial signal 0 to 1, with aerial 3 to 4. Personally wouldnt touch 3's contract with all hassle I've had from them. Now use the 3, 12GB sim 12mth valid, throw away and get another when data runs out.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just remember, those of you who buy the 24Gb Sim from Three, that you will still be subject to their 'Cut Off' principles ie They will switch it off if you use it too much abroad for a protracted period.

Stewart

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Devon Monte Carlo van con
Exp
many years
I have the Huawei with the two aerial connectors and the motorhomewifi external roof aerial. I have a three contract £13 for 20gb and I have used it for a year across just about the whole of Europe. There has only been one day in that time that I could not get a signal and that was in northern France. As sod's law dictates, I was trying to book a ferry back to The U.K. on that one day. A I am sure you are aware, Three specifies that I can only use 12gb of the 20 when I am away from the U.K.. I have never tried exceeding the limit.

Stewart

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Exp
many years
If you log into your Three account and look at the "telephone number" of your data card, one of the menus on the home page will tell you how much data you have used. This is very accurate because it is Three information

Stewart

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Exp
many years
It's at www.three.co.uk, then log in using the data telephone number, then data allowances - check your data allowance.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We use a MiFi with an ariel on the roof, it's only 3G but seems to work well, we've used it all round France & UK, it has a 3 sim in it.
We never used to bother with an ariel but it does help a bit and more so when all the blinds in the MH are shut!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back