Mobile Satellite DiSeqC Magic - Automatic satellite switching (1 Viewer)

Spotto

Free Member
Nov 14, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Startrail
Exp
since 2010
Just a quick reminder of the automatic lock-on (my non-technical term!) capabilities of most modern mobile satellite systems which many members may already be finding useful. However, some may not realise that their systems can switch seamlessly and easily between satellites when any particular station is selected. No need to confine yourself to the stations on one satellite at a time. I'm sure there are satellite experts on this forum for whom this is basic bread and butter but if you're not one of them, you may find this useful.

My system is comprised of a Snipe 3 oblong array "dish", connected to a SAB Titan Micro SE HD tuner (Not a Sky box!). The former costs around £750, the latter around £80 and turns out to be superb, very flexible, capable and extendable. The system works every time with no sign of any of the old Snipe 1 and 2 issues. Both kits came with pretty basic "instructions" - basically a written out version of the menu system which didn't offer much insight into the actual capabilities. I'm no expert, just an average user but I found setting up for automatic lock-on was really easy once I'd figured things out so I thought I'd share. Here goes:

If you've searched for stations on several different satellites, usually you can then make up a favourites list from the stations you like most. These can include a selection of stations from several different satellites in the one list. Then, when you select a station, your dish will turn automatically to the appropriate satellite and tune in automatically. No need to turn the dish separately, then tune in from a separate list. For example, I have German Eurosport (on Astra 19.2) and BBC One (on Astra 28.2) in the same list and I just select whichever station I want when I want it. The dish and sat tuner then activate and do the pointing and re-tuning in seconds while I pour another glass of merlot.

This is the magic of DiSeqC. If your dish controller and sat box are compatible with DiSeqC - and they almost certainly will be - you may like to set it up. These pics are of my tuner "satellite installation" menu. Note the example pics show DiSeqC 1.1 enabled for the appropriate satellite; the positioner is set to DiSeqC1.2 (which is compatible) for both and is set up with the appropriate satellite position for example 4 of 8 and 2 of 8. You may need to experiment by manually selecting your sat position but I think it is probably automatic once you've selected the DiSeqC bits.

I guess all systems will be slightly different but the trick is to get your tuner to talk to the positioner via DiSeqC. If you're not doing this, you may be missing out on some really useful features. Once you've tuned in all your preferred satellites (I have four) you can watch TV or listen to multi Radio stations on different satellites at will. Obviously, the usual footprint issues arise but I can receive Astra 19.2 and 28.2 in Scotland and am already tuned into other English speaking stations on other satellites for when heading South of Paris when I lose the Astra 28.2 signal anyway.

Hope this is helpful. Sorry I can't be specific for other systems but you should get the idea. Off for another merlot!

Geokalo

Free Member
Jul 11, 2019
Greece
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Dear Spotto

I am a newbie user of Satellite systems and I would like to acquire some knowledge about the functionality of the satellite systems.

Is it possible to post instructions of how can a novice user tune his / her satellite to several satellites that are desirable (step by step).

An explanation of the functionality also of each part would be a huge help as I am still a little bit confused about how each part operates with each other and what is its purpose.
(Satellite Disc, DiseqC, Decoder, tuner, controller etc).

If you are aware of any reliable source that I can extract useful and practical information would be a great help as well

Just for the record, I want to support a friend who is using a TELECO satellite system.

Keep up the good job

Cheers
Geokalo

OP
OP
Spotto

Spotto

Free Member
Nov 14, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Startrail
Exp
since 2010
Hi

If you are starting your sat knowledge base from scratch , there is quite a lot to take in before we even consider step by step instructions for any specific system..... there are many different ones. However, the good news is that each system is trying to do the same thing so it ought to be a bit like becoming familiar with the way to use a PC, a Mac, an IPad, a Samsung Note Pad, a Kindle etc. ie. Just know what you need to achieve then go to the settings and set it up.

The even better news is that it needn't be daunting and there are other members on here with far greater knowledge of sat system setups than I have and I'm sure they will be pleased to offer better advice.

For now though, I'd suggest you go to Google and search for something like a beginner's guide to multiple satellite systems or similar. There will be lots there.

I'd summarise it as follows:

Basically there are dozens of satellites in orbit, around 4 or so carry any English channels you may like. Each "shines" a different beam, carrying the channels, in a specific footprint over the UK and the continent.

Three types of sat box in use in uk:
Sky box (UK sky and other chans only)
Freesat (All free uk channels inc sky news)
Multisat (freesat plus other channels on other satellites eg for for Eurosport in German or RTL for F1 live in German, BBC World etc. Needs a motorised dish or move the dish yourself).

You need to be able to get your dish to point at the correct satellite then tune in to the correct channel. In UK, With Sky or Freesat, just point at Astra.

Astra works from N Scotland, the whole UK, South to around Paris before the signal becomes too weak unless you use bigger (heavier!) kit.

Further South on the continent, you may like to point at other satellites for useable watchable channels.

Get Googling. Also, see https://www.satbeams.com/ for a good backgrounding.

Best

S

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geokalo

Free Member
Jul 11, 2019
Greece
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi again.

First of all thank you very much for your interest and your detailed response.
You gave me several useful insights about what I can do to help my friend tune his dish.

I will try to perform a quick google search and I will try to gather all the relevant material that I can find.

Additionally, I would like your experience and opinion on an additional inquiry that I have regarding the tuning procedure.

In case that there is an absence of software from the manufacturer and there is no access to a GUI (graphical user interface application) which helps to find the signals from the satellites, is it possible to still tune the dish to the satellites that I need ?
I mean if there is a possibility to monitor which satellites are on the spectrum via a screen on the decoder device can I still find the satellite signals that I desire to receive (by rotating the dish) and save them in the decoder device so I can tune to them any time I wish?

Your response will help me a lot for solving the issue.

Thank you very much in advance

Cheers
Geokalo

OP
OP
Spotto

Spotto

Free Member
Nov 14, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Startrail
Exp
since 2010
There are several free satfinder apps for your phone in the playstore/app store. Or, you might like to try a handheld satallite finder to locate your sats. I prefer the apps. For handhelds, search here:

or here:

S

Geokalo

Free Member
Jul 11, 2019
Greece
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you very much for your interest and response