Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Apologies to long time Funsters as I know this subject has been done to death but searching old posts comes up with so many topics its hard to find the advice I'm looking for.

We have now completed our first 9 months with our van and have made several trips to CL's and music festivals etc and loved every minute of it. This winter we will be spreading our wings a bit further and spending extended periods in the van in both UK and Europe and the subject of staying connected to the outside world has to be addressed.

Our needs in order of priority are Internet access for surfing and email and Television (live as well as Catch Up) and we would like this all to be on a single portable device. From what I can work out a large tablet would be the most cost effective way to go for internet and catch up TV via Wi-Fi hotspots, with one of the external terrestrial TV decoders, powered by USB cable from the van head unit that are now available for about £80.00, for live TV.

We do not think a dedicated TV, like an AVTEX, would be right for us as the lack of portability would be a problem and we anticipate watching very little TV compared with on line activities. For this reason the need for live TV may be replaced by using Catch Up TV all the time.

Sorry if I have bored you all to death with this but your experiences would be most welcome ,

The Tinca's

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
In theory a tablet like ipad will more than do the job, except they do not accept wifi aerial extenders.. Unless you buy a specific one like the iboost from Motorhome wifi...

http://www.motorhomewifi.com

In Reality.. BANDWIDTH and DATA.. !!!!!
Using a mifi is great but you will pay for data and a single film could use up a GB.. Using "hotspots" sounds a great idea and sometimes they do work BUT only if it's a good connection and not to many users.. It's very hit and miss..
Once people get a good wifi connection they start to use it like being at home and streaming is maybe one thing we have all tried as we travel around... Even on campsites where you pay for net access it can clog up because everyone is on and trying to do the same thing...

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back