mobile data sim, whats the best (1 Viewer)

rahala

Free Member
Aug 23, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1979
Hello folks,
We only do 6-8 months a year on the road so excuse me for intruding. What is the best mobile sim for my i pad? We have a UK address so billing is no problem?
rahala John.

OP
OP
R

rahala

Free Member
Aug 23, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1979
Hi Manxcat, We have been looking at the 3 offering but they say it's only good for 120 days per year overseas with max 12gb, in UK 20gb. If we go over 120days they tell me it will cost mega bucks per mb, so, do they or is it good all the time? Wish you all the best we're off to Crete this winter. John

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Manxcat, We have been looking at the 3 offering but they say it's only good for 120 days per year overseas with max 12gb, in UK 20gb. If we go over 120days they tell me it will cost mega bucks per mb, so, do they or is it good all the time? Wish you all the best we're off to Crete this winter. John
If you buy the prepaid data sim from my memory then there is no contract and when you have used it up that's it.
Many funsters buy two or three for a long trip. It says 12 months but mine, like many others still working for now at least.
Do check out phone contracts too though. My EE phone has 6 gig data per month which I can use in Europe and I can tether my iPad to it. If you have a smart phone see if you can get a deal.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Well, good questions, and I'm afraid my answers will be vague.

We have 2 data sim cards for our mifi. In July I overused one and basically got cut off (long story). Resorted to the backup number 2 sim and got home ok on that. They seem to a,low you to have 7gb when roaming, which is a lot.

This last week I went to a 3 shop to get a 3rd sim as I do not want to be caught out. Instead I have signed up to a monthly deal £20. For that I get 9gb pm roaming and 12gb in UK. The sales guy assures me that this will work just fine in the isle of Man, my main base whichbis roaming. He had better be right, but if so it seems to fit the bill perfectly. There was no 120 day restriction mentioned.

Ps 9Gb is plenty for most people unless you want to download videos or music. This package allows you to use Netflix and Deezer without any penalty, not that I am interested in that.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
I use 3 on my iPad, great deals and great coverage.

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
3 card sim from my memory, 12gb valid for 12 months costs £24.99 with the new EU ruling roaming included so no restrictions.
Or use your mobile as a WiFi provider as all your data will be included in the plan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm on a 30 day rolling contract with 3 for 30gb which only allows 12gb to be used abroad for 120 max. After that it's 73pence a mb which could add up to quite a lot so I'm going to have to watch my allowance as I will probably use a lot in streaming..I took a rolling contract so I could finish it after the 120 days and buy a local sim.as we're going for longer than 120 days.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
I'm with Bt at home and I've just signed up for 20GB for 15 pound a month with them unlimited calls &texts Nit sure about usage abroad though. I used to use 3 sim in mifi brought from memory website.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
3 pay in advance data Sims for us. First one was a real bargain off Amazon - about £27 lasting for 24 months and 24 GB. No longer available at that price, unfortunately. Next one was for 12 months and 12 GB for about £23.50 from my memory.com

Have used in many EU countries without problem, and frequently been a lifesaver in the mi-fi. (n)

Wandering vagabond

Free Member
Sep 16, 2017
Derbyshire (currently)
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1987
Has anybody got EE data only card as they seem to do good deals.

I use a data only EE sim 50gb a month for 27 quid used to get it discounted as i had a phone on EE , but now i have a phone on vodaphone unlimited talk texts and 20b data for 20 quid a month and a phone on talkmobile (also vodaphone under licence) 5000 mins and texts and 12gb for 12 quid a month ... the EE picks up data everywhere with just a standard EE osprey, but i actually recently upgraded to a Huawei E5186 5g ready routers with a twin element omni directional mimo aerial on a mast ... the EE phone on the other hand was aweful whereas vodaphone i can get a phone signal anywhere but i have to put the sim in my super router to pick a data signal up ... a lot of my friends on boats up and down the country use 3 and apart from south oxford seem to get a signal anywhere.
Rick

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'm on Plusnet(uses ee) at the minute in Spain, I nearly always get 4G or 4G+ and it shows 'Moviestar' as the network.
Before the free roaming started in June I used a Three data sim which also uses Moviestar abroad, but the data speed with the Three sim was, and still is much slower. Looks like Three mobile pay their partner networks for a budget service. Always got by with it though as we don't need super fast.

Wandering vagabond

Free Member
Sep 16, 2017
Derbyshire (currently)
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1987
EE dont state anywhere on their site there is a 2 month limit to roaming but for the sake of nipping in one of their shops i would check and if they state there isnt a limit get someone to put it into writing ... that way you are covered, i use the 4g all the time as i am full time aboard my boat and my setup allows for up to 32 devices to be connected (not that i have that many) but it means i can use a kodi box and watch netflix as i often download movies as i have a 50" screen in my lounge i also have a bt youview box with all the catch up services built in and an app so i can remotely record via my phone if i am away from the boat.
Rick

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Portugal was cheapest for us 15 gig data only pre-paid sim for 15 Euro. Lasts 30 days then you lose it. That was last year of course before the roaming scam was abolished, so might be even cheaper now?

Wandering vagabond

Free Member
Sep 16, 2017
Derbyshire (currently)
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1987
Spoke to my brother today he is with 3 and has been for a few years ... today he got a new dongle and a 20gb per month sim from them for £9 a month absolute bargain as the dongle was free ... hope this helps someone out there.

Rick

Wandering vagabond

Free Member
Sep 16, 2017
Derbyshire (currently)
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1987
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Three Data Sim 12 month use, My Memory are cheap, just make sure you activate it in the UK before you leave,if you need a couple still activate them in UK, they last forever or seem to, you certainly don't get ripped off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back