Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Hi All
I've read with great interest the recent posts on the 3 system and am leaning towards their kit, even though their coverage map shows 'iffy' reception at our home address.
There's one other system I'd like to check out first though - at the Northern MC show there was an exhibitor demonstrating the FON system. We don't use BT broadband as our main provider, but, the literature states this isn't necessary as a FON box can be purchased at a one off cost of £34.
I assume that this 'box' can then be used in the motorhome when touring and subject to a local Hotspot/signal being available internet access is also available.
Has any funster any experience of this kit and its performance please?
ATB
Brian

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have a BT account at home.

We have used FON and BTopenzone hotspots quite regularly. We just use our laptop/ smartphone. Being BT customers, we don't need an additional router in this case.

Those hotspots are fairly infrequent though, we find ourselves parking up in housing estates for essential internet use! Occasionally, we find that there is coverage on CLs and campsites, but not very often. Its at that point we have to fall back onto 3G/GPRS mobile broadband via the smartphone.

The price quoted as a one-off purchase seems quite reasonable for the coverage offered, but you won't beat a proper mobile internet package for coverage. I am quite happy with my Tesco Mobile ( O2/Orange network) smartphone for that purpose.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
3 said no cover where we live...wrong

when I entered in my post code on the 3 site.. it showed our road as no signal... which is wrong as I was using it just now.... also the map shows general areas... so far I have founf the midi using 3 works well... I also use vodafone... but the 3 seems better.

While the mifi is not cheap have found it works.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We only use a single laptop in the van, so MiFi is not the way for us.
We've found a bog standard 3 PAYG dongle does the job well.
That way we only pay for the periods we want to use it, rather than on contract.
No coverage problems as yet.
For using more than one lappy.....MiFi.
Single Lappy...... dongle.
Someone will be along to say any particular bit of kit is crap, it's just a matter of what suits you.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We only use a single laptop in the van, so MiFi is not the way for us..

I've said the same a few times, but.......

Think longer term, I bought an Asus tablet, WiFi only. MiFi essential.

Then I can even use my Android phone on it if I have better coverage ( or cheaper ) on the MiFi on a different provider.

Also MiFi can be positioned better for signal with a mass of wiring.

I picked up an unlocked 3 MiFi for £52 on ebay. Use it with a non expiring Voda SIM.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I've said the same a few times, but.......

Think longer term, I bought an Asus tablet, WiFi only. MiFi essential.

If you're going to think longer term, then you have to start thinking about 4G/LTE. It might be better to stick with the 3G dongle for now and then get a 4G MiFi in a year-or-two, now that Orange/T-Mobile have been given permission to start rolling out 4G on their existing infrastructure.

Edit
-----
I do agree with you and Carol about being able to locate the MiFi better for signal strength. Having a 3G dongle (only use a laptop) it can be a pain having to move outside the PVC when it seems to act like a Faraday cage at times.

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
On the question of Fon against 3mifi, we have bt fon for free, but always carry our 3 mifi as the fon coverage is very hit and miss where as the 3 has only failed on two occasions.

We also have a vodafone everlasting dongle which we do use but fine the 3 because you can position it anywhere in the van, even on a pole outside, much more reliable.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
On the question of Fon against 3mifi, we have bt fon for free, but always carry our 3 mifi as the fon coverage is very hit and miss where as the 3 has only failed on two occasions.

We also have a vodafone everlasting dongle which we do use but fine the 3 because you can position it anywhere in the van, even on a pole outside, much more reliable.

I bought the Fon kit before I had BT broadband, waste of money as I could never find a connection, eventually binned it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I use a 3mi fi which for me has been far better for reception than Vodafone or O2 almost anywhere we have travelled in the UK.
I also have a directional USB aerial to pick up BT fon etc in UK and Europe and also to pick up weak site WiFi in Europe .

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have tried every dongle going......th elast being o2 on a two year contract........when they called me to say my usage was low I told them it's because it never works so I don't use it.......I have a mifi and so far I have always got a useable signal so I am sticking with that.

Hope this helps a bit

All the best Rick

OP
OP
Incamania

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt