mk 2 ducato leaf spring to bump stop height (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Been looking under van and leaf springs look tired not on last legs but !

So mine are actually bump stops i believe ( assistor would be touching ) and i have about 1 inch of space between bump stop and leaf spring.
Cant find information on gap or what it would of originally been so wondering if anyone knows the answer.
Really just trying to figure out how tired leaf springs are and then decide best option if springs are tired (if they was totally knackered they would probably be touching bump stop ) it is probably gonna mean air assistance to prolong life of springs

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Maybe consider fitting Grayston leaf spring assisters instead?

They are coil springs that sit in brackets you bolt to the underside of the chassis rail where the bump stop is at the moment, and to the top of the rear axle.
Very simple. Very effective; piece of cake to self fit, and they are literally fit-and-forget.

I've self fitted them to 2 of my old Ducato motorhomes over the years and have been really really pleased with the result.......no more "soggy bottom" syndrome, MH sits higher at the rear, and rear suspension is much stiffer and it doesn't wallow about on corners.

http://www.springassisters.co.uk/menu.htm

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Mine actually got inverted and wore away the bump stops. It passed the MOT like this with an advisory. I did replace them however with heavy duty double leafs. Boy did that make a difference to driving and it doesn't look overloaded all the time.

It is a relatively cheap job to do.
I bought mine from here.
http://www.jones-springs.co.uk/

Then got my garage to fit them...
I think the total job was around the £300 mark back then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Just looked graystone springs they state 1400kg heaviest but my rear axle load is heavier also £300+ which puts them in air suspension price range £300-500.

Also got double leaf spring already so it is heavy duty

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Just looked graystone springs they state 1400kg heaviest but my rear axle load is heavier also £300+ which puts them in air suspension price range £300-500.

Also got double leaf spring already so it is heavy duty

Are you sure you've looked at the right info?

It's the motorhome specific ones, called KR6102E I think.
They are for permanently heavily loaded suspensions, carrying an axle load of 1150kgs minimum (not maximum).
http://www.springassisters.co.uk/KR6102 INST.pdf

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Are you sure you've looked at the right info?

It's the motorhome specific ones, called KR6102E I think.
They are for permanently heavily loaded suspensions, carrying an axle load of 1150kgs minimum (not maximum).
http://www.springassisters.co.uk/KR6102 INST.pdf
Ended up with different screen 3 different spring assistors first time max said 1400kg and price wise it was £325 this time found springs so will try and find correct price list but still dont know what original gap was between spring and stop which would give me an idea of whether leaf springs are weakening or not they look ok and probably 1 inch gap is expected but dont really want to play around if nothing wrong

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I would be very suprised to find they were bump stops are they solid or hollow? if hollow and shaped like a cone with bulges then they are assisters, if they have 1" of clearance that is quite normal. But if you want to carry a lot of weight I would fit air it lifts the rear and cuts down the sway.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Ended up with different screen 3 different spring assistors first time max said 1400kg and price wise it was £325 this time found springs so will try and find correct price list but still dont know what original gap was between spring and stop which would give me an idea of whether leaf springs are weakening or not they look ok and probably 1 inch gap is expected but dont really want to play around if nothing wrong

What year is your Ducato?

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
What year is your Ducato?
Mine is 2001 but as lofty1 described assisters that is exactly what mine look like van is pretty well loaded minus people but i do have 1 inch clearance i was under impression that the assistors sat on the leaf springs there is pictures on here

So thanks all for the help my leaf springs are in good overall tired condition

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back