LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
how long is a piece of string type question. I have a few different types in the workshop, all for different jobs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I have an Evolution mitre saw similar to the one posted above but it's colour is green not orange and I don't know if that makes a difference.

It's not an expensive model and I liked it because it says the one supplied blade will cut through almost anything which means I didn't really have to worry about what I was cutting or if the wood had nails.

Main feature I like is that it is a sliding mitre saw so get the one that can cut the widest stuff.

The laser is useful but a bit dodgy and actually easy to knock out of alignment.

I also purchased the stand which was very useful to have a study stand but it almost cost as much as the saw itself.

Mark

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Unless your going to use it professionally buy a cheap one for £100 or so, some of the cheap gear is surprisingly good inspite of what people say. Near enough all of the well known makes are now made in the far east and generally aren't the quality they used to be.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Depends how much you are going to use it and what degree of accuracy you require.
if you are planning on using it as part of your job or trade buy the best you can afford,
If you are just going to do the occasional bit of carpentry, buy cheap.
When I lived in the States and was refurbing a house, i bought a top DeWalt model and it was great. Powerful, large dia blade and very accurate with no play or movement once an angle was set so accurate cuts could be repeated time after time.
Since being back in the UK i have had a couple of cheap modeks from B&Q which did a satisfactory job. I burnt the first one out doing a lot of laminate flooring on a few houses so if you have a lot to do, don’t buy cheap.
Once you have decided whether you need to spend a lot or a little money, then look at features:
1. size of blade is important - remember that when cutting at an angle the length of cut is much more than the width of the material you are cutting. Eg 150mm wide plank cut at 45 degrees needs a minimum 225mm blade.
2. get a compound mitre saw which can cut at an angle in 2 planes in one cut. You might think you don’t need it, but you probably will sooner or later and its a hell of a lot easier than trying to work out how to do it in 2 cuts (and if you’re like me cocking it up 2 or 3 times).
HTH

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Makita or Bosch Tools have always served me well.
Keep your eye on deals at Screwfix, and Amazon, get one with a nice big motor 2KW or so,and a solid cast base plate, that allows good secure clamping of angles, and accurate measuring on degree angles etc.
The blades have 20mm diameter centre hole, so plenty of choice for fine or rough work, however you should get a good quality multi purpose one with saw itself.
LES

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thinking about replacing some woo on a boundary wall and building a workbench, nothing heavy

You need to make sure the wood will fit under the blade and the blade will go through the wood then.

Some smaller saws foul on the motor.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I found that when the blade on my cheap one needed replacing a good quality blade transformed the saw making it a lot more accurate and quick to cut.
I think the saw was from Screwfix who are part of b and q

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Depending on the width of wood you're cutting you may need a sliding mitre saw. I have one in my Amazon basket for a job in the Faroes this summer. I've also got it on Camel Camel awaiting a price drop, hopefully.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Don't forget to do a risk assessment prior to each use.
May be best to invite H & S executive along as well.
Then there's the hard hat, the hi-viz tabard, goggles, gloves etc. :giggle:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I have an Evolution Rage, 10" blade and 300mm cut mitre saw, I got it on offer at Screwfix. I bought it after I had been using an Evolution 8" circular saw for ripping some floor boards then cutting 6 mm steel chequer plate with the same blade. The blades last surprisingly well on steel, but I have been buying replacements made by Erbauer for about a third of the price of the Evo ones. I also bought the mitre saw stand that was on offer in Aldi. It was about one third the price of my neighbour's Bosch one and the end supports are adjustable rollers, not square section like the Bosch.
Like The Wino says, buy yourself a specific blade if you're gonna do anything fancy. I cut some oak veneered mdf skirting with mine and it was fine with the new blade and slow feed, but I'd change the blade if I had a lot to do.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Do you want compound mitre saw or sliding compound mitre saw. Link gives an indication of prices and there are sometimes deals from Toolstation and Screwfix. A sliding saw will give a wider cutting width.

Link Removed

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Probably better off with a Meglinator, wouldn't be without mine. Don't forget the safety goggles as well.

Attachments

• post-24-0-10176700-1387128976.jpg
    post-24-0-10176700-1387128976.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 23

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Evolution Rage for us as well.
Was in Screwfix yesterday and they appear to have some models on run out at the moment.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes they've bloody ruined the place, everything is now as expensive as B&Q. I now go to Toolstation.. ? Until they buy that as well ?
Funnily enough Toolstation was started by the same guys as Screwfix after they sold it to Kingfisher Group (B&Q parent group) so wouldn't surprise me!:rolleyes:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Evolution Rage for us as well.
Was in Screwfix yesterday and they appear to have some models on run out at the moment.

Thanks for that, I've binned the one in my Amazon basket and bought the Evolution plus half price stand. (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Funnily enough Toolstation was started by the same guys as Screwfix after they sold it to Kingfisher Group (B&Q parent group) so wouldn't surprise me!:rolleyes:

(y)
Toolstation now owner by Travis Perkins..
We are lucky with B&Q, Screwfix and Toolstaion all withing a few hundred meters of each other.
Handy when shopping around or if one does not have something.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Lidl sometimes have them in their middle of Lidl. Good quality and 3 years warranty.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes they've bloody ruined the place, everything is now as expensive as B&Q. I now go to Toolstation.. ? Until they buy that as well ?
Toolstation I think is the same as wickes and travis perkins. I think Screwfix has always been part of b and q but as time has gone on the prices have risen.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Another vote for the Evolution. Blades are readily available, so not a problem. I was amazed that the blade which is not expensive will cut anything, plastic, wood copper and steel. That answered all my questions. I love it.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Don’t mess about with all that cheap tat. Quality is what you need for tools

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.