Missing my Motorhome already! (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I made arrangement for our van to go back to Autosleeper for some remedial work and a low loader turned up this morning to take it up to their factory
It's going to be away for about 2 weeks, hopefully, they will fix everything on the list and return it as good as new.
A few months ago I noticed a vertical crease down the side of the van between the fridge vents. Looks like the insulation hasn't bonded properly to the fibreglass shell so they are going to fix that.
Both rear wheel arch trims are coming unstuck at the back, the strips of trim over the interior wall seams are peeling up, the bathroom shelf that the bowl sits on is getting damaged by water ( it's chipboard, it should be properly sealed or they should use plastic,) oh, and the main roof vent sometimes sticks down.
Not bad really after 16 months of heavy use, and because they will have to take out the fridge, they will have to re-certify the electric and gas, they have offered to do a full hab check and it won't cost me a penny.
Roll on November ...........

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
When you think how much these things cost, you don't really expect things to break or go wrong so quickly. At least they are prepared to put things right for you.(y)

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I'm in the same boat.....
Dropped my new (to me) Hymer down to the dealer's today for them to tackle my long list of snags. We won't be reunited for about 6 weeks now.
Feeling bereft. :crying::crying::crying:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our Wentworth is going back to the dealers for four jobs, to be honest two of them should have been obvious to them before we picked it up!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
After 2 years use & 10,000 miles my WildAx is in for a week - 18 problems!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I made arrangement for our van to go back to Autosleeper for some remedial work and a low loader turned up this morning to take it up to their factory
It's going to be away for about 2 weeks, hopefully, they will fix everything on the list and return it as good as new.
A few months ago I noticed a vertical crease down the side of the van between the fridge vents. Looks like the insulation hasn't bonded properly to the fibreglass shell so they are going to fix that.
Both rear wheel arch trims are coming unstuck at the back, the strips of trim over the interior wall seams are peeling up, the bathroom shelf that the bowl sits on is getting damaged by water ( it's chipboard, it should be properly sealed or they should use plastic,) oh, and the main roof vent sometimes sticks down.
Not bad really after 16 months of heavy use, and because they will have to take out the fridge, they will have to re-certify the electric and gas, they have offered to do a full hab check and it won't cost me a penny.
Roll on November ...........

Should you have the time I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on the 'fixes' when you get it back Allan.(y)

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
So, almost two weeks later and we are expecting the van back on Monday. It's been a long wait, I can't imagine how Jane and Jess are feeling without their van for another 4 weeks!
I have heard nothing from Autosleeper, so I am assuming everything went ok. Chap who took it away told me he was booked for 3rd to bring it back.
Fingers crossed, and toes, we have booked a tunnel crossing next week and hope to spend at least a month away.
Allan

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hope it all goes well Alan and you can swiftly get on your way. We have an 2011 merc auto autosleeper and fingers crossed it's still as good as new. Very pleased with it.

Deeply jealous of your French trip.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Well, we expected the van to be back today so phoned AS this morning to see what was happening.
I had an email from the service manager and apparently, its almost ready but they had to order new graphics (?) which should have arrived on 30th. They didn't, but I was promised they should arrive and be fitted on Tuesday. Time to fit is a couple of hours, so it should be ready to come back to us very soon.
Not sure why they need new graphics, I was assuming all the work was to be done inside.
We'll know more later in the week.
France is booked for Monday!
Allan

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
If you wern't expecting any external work and they are replacing decals, I would check very carefully that they haven't dinged it while in the workshop. I posted on an earlier thread about the quality of the work they did on my van.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks Golly, don't worry, it will be well checked out before it comes off the transporter, speaking of which, it is being delivered tomorrow.
Graphics came today and were fitted this afternoon. I don't know why they were replaced, perhaps they replaced one of the body sides, after all, the insulation was coming unstuck, maybe it was worse than they thought, or, I did notice that that one of the graphics on one side at the back was getting discoloured, perhaps they just replaced that one.
Anyway, we had a call from the service manager today who wanted to deliver the van on Monday. That was no good to us as we have booked a crossing on the tunnel for Monday, anyway, he sorted it for delivery tomorrow.
Fingers crossed!
Allan

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Van was delivered this afternoon, all sorted, no damage to anything and no protruding screws!
They repaired the wall with the crease in it, the insulation was rebonded and reinforced, they also filled the crease, the graphics were needed to replace the ones they took off. They have done a really nice job, its good and solid, paint match and finish is perfect.
They replaced the bathroom cabinet and bowl with the latest model, rebonded the rear wheel arch trims and adjusted the mudflaps. Main roof vent was adjusted and works perfectly. All the interior seal trims have been replaced, door stay fixed and they found a problem with the Truma boiler occasionally letting small amounts of water through the dump valve. They have sorted that out.
All in, they seem to have done an excellent job. One very pleased customer, tunnel booked for next Tuesday!
:france:
Allan

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
hope all goes well, have a great trip funster.

panda

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
notts
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1996
Pleased for you and enjoy your trip,Ann and Mick

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Van was delivered this afternoon, all sorted, no damage to anything and no protruding screws!
They repaired the wall with the crease in it, the insulation was rebonded and reinforced, they also filled the crease, the graphics were needed to replace the ones they took off. They have done a really nice job, its good and solid, paint match and finish is perfect.
They replaced the bathroom cabinet and bowl with the latest model, rebonded the rear wheel arch trims and adjusted the mudflaps. Main roof vent was adjusted and works perfectly. All the interior seal trims have been replaced, door stay fixed and they found a problem with the Truma boiler occasionally letting small amounts of water through the dump valve. They have sorted that out.
All in, they seem to have done an excellent job. One very pleased customer, tunnel booked for next Tuesday!
:france:
Allan

Good to hear that AS have done the business Allan. Have a great time in France...........envy! (y)

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
So, almost two weeks later and we are expecting the van back on Monday. It's been a long wait, I can't imagine how Jane and Jess are feeling without their van for another 4 weeks!
Allan
Don't feel too sorry for me ...... I am on holiday in Australia :clap2:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Allan, I pick my Broadway up tomorrow I've had the same as you with the crease between the fridge vents, also repairing minor damage to side where French woman caught our side. They are also hopefully finally fixing my wind up window over the cab.

John.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
John, I am sure they will fix everything. We went away to France for a month when we got the van back, still found nothing wrong, everything is perfect.
I had the free Hab check done too, nothing wrong at all, no damp or any sign of it. Clean bill of health! Just need to arrange its first service
Allan

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
How refreshing to hear a tale like this. When I saw that the thread had been resurrected I feared the worst; that maybe more problems had occured or that the work done by AS had not stood the test of time.

It seems that the caravan and motorhome industry come in for a good deal of criticism, particularly where after sales service is concerned.

When somebody has a good experience he should be congratulated for bringing it to our attention.
Well done Allan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back