Missing knuckles - mirror cabling route (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
I’m fitting a cam to the LH mirror on my 2018 Ducato cab.

I’m trying to route the cables into the cab through the mirror cabling route.

Has anyone done this, without taking out the whole dashboard - I can’t seem to see the cable route to poke something stiff through. I just seem to end up inside the a-pillar.

Help/suggestions gratefully received.

ED54B1A9-A878-4D53-9932-532EB9F9205B.jpeg

17532B2C-351E-448C-B64F-597B98812EB5.jpeg

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Ok. Solved it.

In case it is of help to anyone in the future.

Remove the glovebox/lower dashboard fascia (all visible screws, but you need to unclip the glovebox drawer to access a couple).

With access behind you can now visualise/feel a rubber grommet high up on the pillar.

Feed a stiff wire through the grommet and down towards the cable aperture in the pillar. It’s fiddly, but eventually you will see the cable in the aperture.

It’s then a simple case of taping your camera cables to this wire and pull them back through the grommet.

6862A0BC-6FC1-47D9-A1B3-371D3EDE3F14.jpeg

738B0DF4-E4D5-4B29-9E91-A79000336063.jpeg

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I spent literally hours trying to get upgraded speaker wires from behind the dash and through that LHS rubber door grommet!. The RHS side was much easier.
I used all manner of stiff wires, even nylon flexi cable pulls, cut the back of my hand and wrists to bits! Had dash board in bits, glove box out, torches shining up in there, but could not suss out where the wire was trying to enter from.
Good luck, just do as I did and have loads of tea breaks.
Les

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
I spent literally hours trying to get upgraded speaker wires from behind the dash and through that LHS rubber door grommet!. The RHS side was much easier.
I used all manner of stiff wires, even nylon flexi cable pulls, cut the back of my hand and wrists to bits! Had dash board in bits, glove box out, torches shining up in there, but could not suss out where the wire was trying to enter from.
Good luck, just do as I did and have loads of tea breaks.
Les

You just have to use the force!

I couldn’t see anything either - you just have to feel from the inside and then feed your cable pull from the inside to the outside, in a downward and backward direction.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Did it last year, never want to do it again......The Air was Blue at the time, and my wife knew to stay away from me:whistle2::swear::swear::swear:
Les

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
The RHS side was much easier.
Les

Go on then TinaL, how do you do the RHS (driver’s side)?

I can’t see anything and access is obstructed by the fuse panel amongst other things?

I need access this side to install a video feed switching panel in the driver’s door armrest to control the feeds to the head unit in reverse mode (normal reversing cam or birds-eye panoramic view), and the rearview mirror display (rear view, roof view, grey water view and a 4th feed I haven’t thought of yet!)

Any help would be ace...I’m scratched to blazes.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I feel your pain, honestly.
From memory I had removed the lower dash, along with that strange shaped panel that will hold my air gauges for the air suspension, I removed the door card as you have probably done, then removed rubber grommet to door. I then managed to push my flexible nylon draw wire from inside the door carcass to inside the van and it became visible having removed the top RHS air vent cowl, which comes out in one piece. From there you should be able to look down and see your draw wire.
Sounds like you are doing a great job.
Eddievanbitz fitted our dual lens rear camera and all his video wires are behind that small funny shaped RHS panel, along with the tracker. I now wish to fit an additional camera under the chassis to see where the grey waste pipe is in relation to the drain when emptying.
Theres always a job or 10 that needs doing.
Top Tip:
I went to Halfords and got a length of Bicycle Brake Cable outer, which has proved invaluable, its black so I wrapped it in Red inflation tape so I could see it better in the dark places.
While I had the door cards off I bought some bitumen sound deadening stuff and lined the outside skin of the door panels, made a big difference.

Good luck, I remeber how hot the weather was when I did mine last year, but a least it stayed dry.
Les

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Go on then TinaL, how do you do the RHS (driver’s side)?

I can’t see anything and access is obstructed by the fuse panel amongst other things?

I need access this side to install a video feed switching panel in the driver’s door armrest to control the feeds to the head unit in reverse mode (normal reversing cam or birds-eye panoramic view), and the rearview mirror display (rear view, roof view, grey water view and a 4th feed I haven’t thought of yet!)

Any help would be ace...I’m scratched to blazes.
I put two of my cameras in the side panel, so it was just a case of wiring through onto the main wiring loom underneath then coming through the convenient (FIAT cab anyway) grommet on the right hand side of the passenger footwell straight into the main console which is just above that grommet. These flush type cameras can actually be positioned to look right back if you need them to.

I put all my wiring for the rear cameras underneath the van following the main wiring loom back to front clipped on with zip ties and back through that handy grommet again.
20150902_162917.jpg

I have two video screens in the van, one a standard lcd ebay variety with 2 switchable feeds the other on an android entertainment unit which can switch between 2 video feeds (4 cameras in total). The ebay screen is on all the time for a permanent rear mirror. The android unit I have connected the reverse feed to one of the side cameras so I use a switch and it comes on immediately. The other side camera goes to the switchable ebay LCD and the other reversing camera (looking at the ground behind me) goes to the android unit.
I mainly use just one of the side cameras in Europe for checking the blind spot without a passenger, however I have used both on difficult junctions. I also use the main side camera in the UK occasionally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Today’s tally goes like this:

LH door cabling and camera, complete.
Cabling across cab floor, complete.
Area of skin missing from arms and hands, approx 3 sq metres.
Number of people on this quiet site who hate me - about 100.

All my digging around behind the fuse panel on RHS has either created or found a short on the wiring to the alarm - with the result it went off and I couldn’t silence it for about two minutes...seemed like two hours when it was going off!

Ah well...try again tomorrow. BBQ is going nicely now instead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back