Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
On my last trip I mentioned that I dropped my ADBLUE cap and couldn't find it at all, well I got home and then really tried to find it but to no avail, not to be found where I thought it must have gone into the Radiator housing, looked with a bendy lead camera but saw nothing. I ordered a new one online and the thing that arrived was nothing like the one that was on there, it has a rotating top for locking the top and needs a weird plastic key to lock it and turn.. Cost me £9.98 from a dealer and it is a sprinter one they say, I locked it with a car-key but not ideal, so will now have to make a proper one.
The actual adblue seems to being drunk like diesel tank 1600 miles and 12 litres to top up there and more when I got back. No so cheap if it goes down like that on a long run especially if you are forced to used retail packs so as to get it in the VERY narrow gap to the engine compartment on an A-class. How the hell are those engines meant to be worked on????? would need all the front section taken out just to see what was in there, let alone fixed. Maybe I will not keep it THAT long, the coach-built ones have a lot going for them on that front. At l;east you can SEE the engine.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you've already got a retail pack, why not refill from a pump at a fuel station?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
12ltrs should keep it fed for MANY thousands of miles...
Sounds like you have a leak.

This from a mercedes website....

On average, 1 litre of AdBlue® should last around 1,000km

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Doesn’t quite sound right Graham.

On Millie mk1we used to get around 3,000 miles to a tankful. No idea why it’s using so much but something doesn’t quite sound right. Probably worth a chat with your local Merc commercial dealer. May even be some sprinter forums too that you could pose the question on.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you've already got a retail pack, why not refill from a pump at a fuel station?
THE MAGNET. there is a magnet in the Lorry system to stop the idiots that might, put it in the fuel tank from doing so. It opens a valve in the spout somehow but I have not found out how yet. It tried a ring of magnets around an empty retail pack but it took only a tiny dribble every time I opened the valve and it take a LONG time to get a reasonable amount. Got fed up. I can ask a friend with a bulk tank for his Scania, if I can buys some of his at 35p a litre. Just wasn't expecting to have the warning come on in France when it did. The price difference is rather large 18 euro for 10 litres retail. I may not have filled it right up at the last filling with 10 litres into a 20 litre tank. Book says it must be done at a dealers????????? like hell, imagine the MB price for that. The oil change is going to be a bit high as well but the first I am getting done before the Warranty runs out and get a recall check done as well, the gearbox make a funny swiishing noise at certain times probably valves opening in the valve chest but it is coming to the end of warranty very quickly only two years for a non UK sourced Sprinter base.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
THE MAGNET. there is a magnet in the Lorry system to stop the idiots that might, put it in the fuel tank from doing so. It opens a valve in
Yes, you're right there and I take it that on a Moho, there is no direct fill point from a pump similar to that on LGV 's?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Halfords selling 10 litres for £14.
I got about 3500 miles on 10 litres in a 3 litre engine. Sounds like you have a leak.
My cap just screwed on but was under the bonnet on an A class.
There is a filling hose you can order from Mercedes about £15 but made filling so much easier.
Screenshot_20171123-050204.png
Screenshot_20171123-050145.png

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The retail cans 10 ltr have a spout already on them that works OK. It is just the price of two gallons of water and pig pxss. A whacking great markup for the garage sales ,even more for main dealer prices with the cars at a litre a time.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I found an adblue consumption site and filled in the details and for my mileage I should have used THREE full tankfuls at 18 litres a go so that is what I have used, if not slightly more.
I obviously did not fill right up first times and this time it dropped to the level that the warnings started. I will look into the magnet system and let you all know how to overcome it, More and more will be needing to use the smelly stuff from now on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back