Mirror protectors (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi .l think this may have on before. I tried to find the thread but to no avail. Here goes. My son is going to get me some for Xmas. I believe there are 2 typesPair about £60 and some around £120. any advice would gratefully received. :cartoon:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
After loosing a few mirror battles I looked at the options
After picking up a Milenco type and feeling how flimsy they are decided that, while no doubt adequate, were not for me..
Now got a set of the expensive ones fitted ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 23, 2015
cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
IH630RL
Exp
10 years
mirror guards definitely, and they work , don't bother with milenco cheaper imitation crap.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Mirror guards I even took them of and refitted to my new Motorhome

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And of course the original maker / seller of them was a Honda Blackbird owner so must be a proper bloke ! (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As others have said you really want the genuine Mirror Guard ones, not the cheapo Milenco ones which are really just a decorative cover!

The genuine ones are sold on Ebay and are cheaper than from the main website - assuming you need the long arm ones there a set on at the moment for £99 including P&P which I believe is the 'genuine' product.

Link Removed

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
As others have said you really want the genuine Mirror Guard ones, not the cheapo Milenco ones which are really just a decorative cover!

The genuine ones are sold on Ebay and are cheaper than from the main website - assuming you need the long arm ones there a set on at the moment for £99 including P&P which I believe is the 'genuine' product.

Link Removed

I am not sure these are the mirror guards. There is another company selling some at similar prices. Look up the company and you will see a different web site. Best to just ask mirror guards or buy direct from their web site.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I bought mirror guards a few weeks ago, more expensive that milenco and definately better than they were a few years ago with some improvements . Didn't save our mirror then but they are now sprayed with some impact absorber inside which must make a difference. hopefully these will save our next incident.
Very nice fella to deal with too.
Replied quickly to my texts and calls.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am not sure these are the mirror guards. There is another company selling some at similar prices. Look up the company and you will see a different web site. Best to just ask mirror guards or buy direct from their web site.

Thanks for that, they certainly appear to be the same, or at least of the same quality ... the MirrorGuard website isn't brilliant as they don't even say what thickness they are and you have to rely on the video images to see them in more 'fuzzy' detail. I assume that MirrorGuard hasn't got a patent on them.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
When we bought ours a couple of years ago at the nec, i noticed a stand selling (not milenco) but very very similar looking ones to mirror guards about £10 cheaper. I asked the owner of mirror guards about it and he showed me one of them. They are not the same quality but it seems that at the show some people were confusing the two. I think this might be the same company but I may be wrong.

Deleted User
Has anybody actually had an 'incident' with both types to actually compare?

Just because one type seems flimsier than another does not necessarily mean that they are any less effective.

There are many examples of 'crumple zones' in modern vehicles that use the theory of 'plastic deformation' to absorb the energy of any impact.

Could the flimsy ones work on this principle?..........I hope so as I bought some! Don't really want to test them though:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The problem with the Milenco ones is that they are so thin that they would just squish/crack so IMV wouldn't offer any real protection, they're more a cosmetic cover.

We haven't got any guards at all and our near side mirror got well and truly whacked this year by an idiotic motorhomer with long arm mirrors! The back casing was cracked and the indicator and both mirrors were smashed but I don't think even genuine MGs would have prevented any of this.

Deleted User
The problem with the Milenco ones is that they are so thin that they would just squish/crack so IMV wouldn't offer any real protection, they're more a cosmetic cover.

We haven't got any guards at all and our near side mirror got well and truly whacked this year by an idiotic motorhomer with long arm mirrors! The back casing was cracked and the indicator and both mirrors were smashed but I don't think even genuine MGs would have prevented any of this.

I think that is what all the mirror guards are meant to do, thus absorbing some of the energy of impact and transferring less to the actual mirror cover.

They will all have limits and none will give complete protection.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
And what about these on Fleabay Link Removed

£21.00
They're not 'covers' they're replacement backs ... don't ask how I know ... :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They show them as covers . See photo that shows the insides.
Yes I see what you mean but they look identical to the ones I once got (... damn and blast, now I've admitted it ... ) which turned out to just be replacement backs ... so I'd suggest if anyone is wanting them they ask the question as to exactly how they are fitted, ie OVER the existing backs or INSTEAD of them ...

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yes I see what you mean but they look identical to the ones I once got (... damn and blast, now I've admitted it ... ) which turned out to just be replacement backs ... so I'd suggest if anyone is wanting them they ask the question as to exactly how they are fitted, ie OVER the existing backs or INSTEAD of them ...
Messaged him, and they are covers to go over the case.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Messaged him, and they are covers to go over the case.
You after a bit of 'bling' then for your new toy???? :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back