Mirror monitor or dash, views please (1 Viewer)

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I am referring to reversing cameras,

I was going to have the mirror monitor, as I have a Sat Nav on the dash board which I remove when parked, so I thought the mirror one would be the best option also no low life hopefully wouldn`t think it was a DVD screen if it was on the dash.

On ringing a company, they didn`t recommend mirror monitors because of the glare. I cannot fit one myself , so I aim to get a good one fitted, not from flea-bay, so need to get it right first time.

If I back into our drive, I have a low stone wall on one side and my husbands car on the other, I cannot see the stone wall from my wing mirrors as I have to be near to the wall, also I cannot see out of the back window as it is higher than my Topaz was and I am short. :ROFLMAO: So I drive in forwards, decided to get a reversing camera, hence my quandary, I had decided on a twin /tilt camera with a 7" mirror monitor, camera to come on with the ignition, then a lower view when in reverse, the company I spoke to didn`t recommend this set up, then there are the Camos and CCD Cameras, so any help would be much appreciated from any forum members who have experience of all types please, if you don`t mind.

Many thanks in advance.

Margaret

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Have you spoken to Dave Newell. He's very good at this stuff, does an excellent job, it's not too far to go from where you are and while he does the job you can make a day of it and spend your time going round the Blist Hill village. Well worth it :thumb:

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Have you spoken to Dave Newell. He's very good at this stuff, does an excellent job, it's not too far to go from where you are and while he does the job you can make a day of it and spend your time going round the Blist Hill village. Well worth it :thumb:

Wyn

...plus he does Funster discount!

Wyn

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a mirror monitor with a single camera at present, however hubby is putting in 2 new cameras, one to provide a rear view (as per a normal rear view mirror) and another one for a parking/reversing view.

We installed it all ourselves and haven't linked it into the van's electrics, instead we just plug it into one of the dash 12v outlets. The benefit of this was that we could use it as a rear view mirror and not just one that came on when reversing, plus it was easy to move it from one van to another (we had it in our previous Chausson) without having to mess about with the van's electrics.

Obviously our set-up has cost a lot less than a 'professionally' installed system, but works just as well as far as we're concerned, for our needs.

As for a dash or mirror monitor, in our experience dash mounted monitors actually have more of a problem with reflection than a mirror does - our sat nav is on the dash and I've had to make a cowl for it so we can see it, no problem with the mirror monitor at all - and, as has been mentioned, not having the monitor in view on the dash is one less thing for 'oiks' to try to nick!

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi. I have the mirror system as you describe, its brilliant never had a problem

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Wyn

It was Dave who supplied and fitted ours.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have had both, the previous van had the dash mount but the current van has the mirror system. I much prefer the mirror system, it is just like a normal car, mirror, signal, manoeuvre. No problems at all.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Because I wanted proper split screen for four cameras I went for a 7" dash mount.. Sort of compliments the DVR where the mirror used to be and the three GPS units across the dash !

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
....BUT be careful how you fix the D/Board SCREEN

Like a good few other Funsters..we have had both Mirror & Dash.-Both WIRED systems & No real problems encountered. Am sure a Competent DIY 'Bodger' can feed the wires through the vehicles on a Summers day:RollEyes:

We now have an 8"[Diag] Dash mounted for the M/Home with 2 inputs for 2 cameras., 1 looks rearwards & the other looks downwards on the 'Toad' and towbar coupling--this is the check that the 'Toad' does not have a 'Flat' and not to check that the vehicle is still attatched:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Peace of mind eh !

NB. DO FIX IN A MANNER THAT WILL ALLOW 'Fold Down' or 'Removal' WHEN IT COMES TO THE MOT :Eeek::Eeek: SO THAT IT DOES NOT OBSTRUCT THE DRIVERS VIEW THRO' THE WINDSCREEN. :thumb:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I'm with the mirror mounted supporters, but, wherever you have a monitor fitted make sure it's on an adjustable bracket. You need to be able to turn the monitor away from reflecting surfaces inside the van, whenever the sun shines!!

I think high level camera(s) would give the best view for reversing, because you can see your vehicle as well as any obstacles and if you wanted 'rear view' also they don't suffer as much from headlight glare as low mounted.

OP
OP
daisy mae

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Thank you all so much for your input, I have decided to go with the rear view mirror monitor, just have to decide which kit to go for, single or twin camera, / make, decisions, decisions, I want to get one fitted as soon as, as I cannot see out of the rear window, or down the length of my MH as the body is shaped, and I can only see as far as the lounge window through my wing mirrors, so before I prang something, :cry: I need them.

Thank you,
Margaret

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back