Mirror, Mirror on the door ... now it's broken & on the floor! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are now members of a bit of an 'exclusive' club which we hoped we would never be members of! The broken mirror brigade!!!!! :mad:

It happened a couple of days ago - an idiotic German MHer was driving down a road in Croatia towards us and towards bend in the road, we couldn't see him, he couldn't see us, however when he got to where we could see him about 15ft away he was already slightly over the white line onto our side then the pillock (substitute a stronger name if you wish ... I can't repeat the one I used!) who was driving too fast took fright at the large rock which was sticking out slightly on his side and over-reacted so pulled out more onto our side and hit our bl**dy mirror ...if he hadn't panicked he would probably have missed us. In the split second before it happened we knew we were going to make contact and couldn't do a thing about it as we had a wall at the side of us and hubby decided not to 'modify' the bodywork with it!

Being on the 'inside' of the road I was in the 'line of attack' (note to self ... must remember to get a left-hand drive vehicle next time!) there was one hell of a bang and the mirror hit the side cab window, hurling plastic through it off the indicator lens. We stopped and the MH behind the one that hit us slowed down but then they drove on, we eventually turned round (one Croatian driver stopped to make sure we were okay which was nice) and went back to see if they'd stopped somewhere too but they were no-where to be seen, they'd obviously legged it!

The back casing has a piece missing near where it goes onto one of the arms, and another crack where the indicator lens 'should' be, the Fiat top mirror is still in one piece but some of the mirror coating itself has splintered and come off, the small bottom mirror is more shattered but still in one piece, and the top blind spot mirror which we added previously disappeared into orbit somewhere I assume as we couldn't find it at all afterwards. After lots of gaffer tape and messing about I've managed to make the mirrors usable to some extend and we've moved the blind spot mirror from the other side and put it on top so that helps.

Before anyone says it - we don't think Mirror Guards would have helped as the impact was so great, we were surprise the cab door glass itself didn't smash and we have a couple over very small marks in the paintwork; I found plastic from the indicator lens on the dinette seat later on, good job it went past rather than hit me as I had the window fully open.

We aren't letting it spoil our holiday but its annoying ... expense we weren't expecting ... will have to see what it will cost to replace when we get home, hopefully Ebay will have something suitable.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
The noise it makes when they go is terrifying isn't it!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Please report it to the police @Minxy Girl He may try to blame you and claim from you. Do you have dash cam footage?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It happened a couple of days ago - an idiotic German MHer was driving down a road in Croatia towards us and towards bend in the road
Never happens on the roads to Skeggy........(y)(y)

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Have you a dash cam? That should have recorded the incident and will have the offending vehicles reg number.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I don't think this club is at all exclusive! Confirm mirror guards probably wouldn't have prevented it.

This happened to us in France, white van man. We're also RHD and now whenever a vehicle gets a bit too close I find myself cringing away from the window.

Gaffer tape and a vanity mirror saved the day for us. We now carry temporary replacement mirrors.

Karen

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Funny how they always seem to bugger off after contact. Had the same with a lady driving a Landrover Discovery. Nearly half way over my side of the road and bang, she hit my mirror with her A pillar and drove off.

Luckily there was nothing actually broken, but it did pop the lower glass out, which was then saved by the wiring to the mirror heater.

Your story is almost identical to the one covered by Jeremy Vine on radio 2. Guy hits the mirror on a motorhome and knocks it off with his van, but no damage. They both stopped, took it knock for knock and drove off. A few weeks later the motorhome driver gets a letter from his insurance company stating that he had caused excessive damage to the other van, why hadn't he reported the accident and the drivers making a claim. Luckily he had a dash cam and sent off evidence to prove the case and the whole thing was dropped.

Defo let the police know what happened, you never want something silly like that happen to you.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Anyone with that problem, ie smashed mirror On the Passengers side of a series 2 Ducatto cab, I have a spare and it will cost you the same as I paid £10 +post.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Funny how they always seem to bugger off after contact. Had the same with a lady driving a Landrover Discovery. Nearly half way over my side of the road and bang, she hit my mirror with her A pillar and drove off.

Luckily there was nothing actually broken, but it did pop the lower glass out, which was then saved by the wiring to the mirror heater.

Your story is almost identical to the one covered by Jeremy Vine on radio 2. Guy hits the mirror on a motorhome and knocks it off with his van, but no damage. They both stopped, took it knock for knock and drove off. A few weeks later the motorhome driver gets a letter from his insurance company stating that he had caused excessive damage to the other van, why hadn't he reported the accident and the drivers making a claim. Luckily he had a dash cam and sent off evidence to prove the case and the whole thing was dropped.

Defo let the police know what happened, you never want something silly like that happen to you.

these days if the other one doesn't stop then you should always report it as it is " leaving the scene of an accident" offence.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Wingmirrorman in Bury, they have a website, sorted me out with a new one at £170 compared to Fiat who wanted £320. They come in short, medium and long arm lengths. £170 was for a medium with power and heat.
I put covers on after ours got smashed solely because it makes them more visable.
Luckily I could still use the the small mirror at the bottom to get by until we got home.
Coach builts use the medium length.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We had exactly the same on the I'l de Re' in May. We had dash camera but could not view it till we got home. White van coning around corner too fast with wheels over white line, then saw us and tried to steer away, but wheels still just on white line and of course the mirror totally destroyed. He stopped and then drove off!

Limped back to campsite and explained to the campsite owner who said he would book us in for 4 days, it took three days to get replacement fitted and they are Soooo expensive!

Mirroe guard would not have stopped the damaged.

I know your pain Minxi Girl!!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Never happens on the roads to Skeggy........(y)(y)

Only because the Skeggy welcoming comitee blocked the road

image.jpeg

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I got one from eBay for our old bolero £126.00, it was a long arm electrically operated one

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My very point, Robert. :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When we had ours 'done' by a lorry in Scotland the dashcam was no help as the offending lorry was tailgating another so no registration visible. Over £1k to replace (Rapido coach type mirrors)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When we had ours 'done' by a lorry in Scotland the dashcam was no help as the offending lorry was tailgating another so no registration visible. Over £1k to replace (Rapido coach type mirrors)

Could you see the name of the offender? Often worth reporting to the police and the company concerned who may have records of where their drivers were.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Before anyone says it - we don't think Mirror Guards would have helped as the impact was so great, we were surprise the cab door glass itself didn't smash and we have a couple over very small marks in the paintwork; I found plastic from the indicator lens on the dinette seat later on, good job it went past rather than hit me as I had the window fully open.
Its surprising just how much mirror guards can take. A very similar tale happened to us last year and thankfully the mirror guard saved most of it...Apparent damage was the bottom mirror burst off the socket. @andy63 worked magic with some superglue.

Hope you get it fixed easily enough.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
mirror covers wont prevent damage but can be used to cover a hole in the mirror casing if you are lucky

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No dash cam footage ... although we do have one it lives in a bag on the shelf until hubby decides to work out where he wants it putting ... do NOT tempt me!!!! :mad:

No details of the reg no, I know it was German as I recognised the plate as it came towards us but that's all ... :( nothing therefore to report to the cops!

Yes they DO make a hell of a noise when they first get hit followed immediately by the 'echo' bang as they hit the window! The worse thing is being sat there and knowing its gonna happen but you can't do owt to stop it! :Eeek:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've just had a quick shuftie at Ebay and there appear to be some from approx £60 for the one we want so not as bad as I thought it might be!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
mirror covers wont prevent damage but can be used to cover a hole in the mirror casing if you are lucky
All I can say isI firmly believe if we never had the mirror guardsI would have been looking at damage much worse than it was.

Yes they DO make a hell of a noise when they first get hit followed immediately by the 'echo' bang as they hit the window! The worse thing is being sat there and knowing its gonna happen but you can't do owt to stop it! :Eeek:
And what a fright you get as it happens. On the downside its a bummer its happened and an annoyance to have to pay for repair, on the upside at least no one was injured. Chin up and keep enjoying your holiday. Still not saw any recent photos...have I missed them?

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Just to maybe cheer you up about 12 years ago sues son bored the van.Came back looking sheepish had had the same argument with a white van man who drove off.Three weeks later and £350 lighter she left the dealers with her new colour coded mirror fitted two miles down the road another white van man took the same mirror off it lasted three miles. Expensive month.

Pete

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
All I can say isI firmly believe if we never had the mirror guardsI would have been looking at damage much worse than it was.
Yep I reckon without the guards you would have been looking at replacing g complete mirror fitting..
Women drivers ...:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
P's. .Vanessa is fine..(y)..

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yep I reckon without the guards you would have been looking at replacing g complete mirror fitting..
Women drivers ...:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
P's. .Vanessa is fine..(y)..
... my hubby was driving ours at the time ... :D

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's £1 more you owe her @andy63

I think I would still let the police know just to cover yourself - especially if you have the details of a witness.
Too late, we're now in Italy near the Dolomites ... he won't have our reg number anyway so can't come after us, especially since he legged it!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Photos of the damaged and taped up mirror!

mirror 1.jpg
mirror 2.jpg
mirror 4.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Beware @Minxy Girl ebay ones etc will not have temperature sensor or radio aerial in
Passenger side usually has the radio antenna
So just check what you need (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think you can just get new outer skin for short arm mirrors and indicators are cheap

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back