Mirror guards (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Are they worth it?Are there some better than others and if so which should I get.Thanks in advance for any info.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Debatable I think.

Logic: My experience is all the damage is done as the mirror swings and hits the door with an almighty bang, this shatters the glass and motor drive. The door metalwork is damaged.

Now make the mirror heavier, what happens next time, I assume the dent in the door is bigger and the mirror still shatters.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been debated a few times on this forum - some like them, some don't. There are the original, more expensive, Mirror Guards and cheaper copies. We've got the originals and have been grateful on a couple of occasions that they're there. (The white ones also make the van look wider to approaching traffic).

Suppose it all depends on the size of the "bang". A light coming together will be fine but a collision at a combined speed of 100 mph? Don't think anything will survive that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They are expensive but from experience they saved my bacon we had a coming together with a French motorist and it knocked the mirror casing and guard of the van left the mirror hanging from its cables unbroken I was then able to gaffer tape everything together and refit it and carrying on with the journey it stayed that way for three months during our winter tour then replaced when arriving home.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I fitted them for protection (Mirror guards) also them make the MH look better.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
IMG_0969.JPG

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ive just bought a 2nd hand pair of genuine mirror guards from the bay, should be here soon, hopefully they will just make the MH nicer and they will never have to be used.

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
We have had the genuine Mirror Guards for about three years now and are quite happy with them.
They have been clipped by other vehicles twice without any damage to our mirrors and on an Aires in Spain this year, someone tried to steal the O/S one, but they must have been disturbed as we found it half hanging off.

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
We have had the genuine Mirror Guards for about three years now and are quite happy with them.
They have been clipped by other vehicles twice without any damage to our mirrors and on an Aires in Spain this year, someone tried to steal the O/S one, but they must have been disturbed as we found it half hanging off.
What idiots.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Low life thief , need their hands chopped off!!!!!

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Not yet had the pleasure of mirrors making contact with any 3rd party objects, we bought as prevention rather than replacing a unit if damaged, and colour coded they look pretty smart.
The new models are very snug fitting, and given the cost to buy these things I am now concerned of theft of the guard as mentioned above, I did suggest to the Mrs when we put them on they could do with a cable tie attachment.

IMAG0449.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have the white ones as @Scattycat says they make the van look wider. We also put a narrow band of reflective tape in the middle of the guard, visible to on-coming traffic.

Our last van was "clipped" in Wiltshire and the guard was dented but nothing broken. Without the guard I think there would have been damage to the mirror casing.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@Bart make sure you get the thick adhesive pads when you fit them, they are meant to be part of the shock absorption as well as pretty firmly fixing the Guards to the existing mirror.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
@Bart make sure you get the thick adhesive pads when you fit them, they are meant to be part of the shock absorption as well as pretty firmly fixing the Guards to the existing mirror.

The new mirror guards have a foam coating on the inside which dont require the foam pads.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've just noticed on ebay that chrome-finish ones are now available, don't know what make they are but since they are only £57.50 they are obviously not the much dearer Mirror Guard make. They would be even more visible than the white ones, and even more attractive to thieves.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

The new mirror guards have a foam coating on the inside which dont require the foam pads.

Thanks i'll know when i receive them if the are the older ones which require foam pads, or the newer model which have it included.

how thick is the padding roughly as i have some S/A padding there which is about 1 cm thick.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Thanks i'll know when i receive them if the are the older ones which require foam pads, or the newer model which have it included.

how thick is the padding roughly as i have some S/A padding there which is about 1 cm thick.

You wont need any additional packing, the new buffer material isn't really that thick, it is just made from a material which is moulded to the entire inner of the guard and the whole guard shrouds the mirror unit extremely "snug".

These are far superior to any "ebay" or "cheaper" alternatives. As they say you get what you pay for .. ..

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I got some Freebies, (genuine Mirror guards) Guy Bought a Motor-home and didn't want them on, I was waiting for my `van to be brought round and watched the dealer`s "man" take them off, and I cheeky as hell said, If you dont want them?.:whistle:(y)

They look the Dogs Dooberys Fitted!:D:D

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I've just noticed on ebay that chrome-finish ones are now available, don't know what make they are but since they are only £57.50 they are obviously not the much dearer Mirror Guard make. They would be even more visible than the white ones, and even more attractive to thieves.
Check that they will fit your mirrors
When I ordered some they would only fit the short arm mirrors.
Give the company their due they took them back and replced them with a white pair that did fit.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Check that they will fit your mirrors
When I ordered some they would only fit the short arm mirrors.
Give the company their due they took them back and replced them with a white pair that did fit.
I've already got black ones, did wonder about getting the chrome ones for visibility for on-coming traffic. Now I'm considering those cat's eyes stickers that Minxy girl found.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back