LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the claims that mirrorguards are an innovative product is absolute rubbish too. you've been able to buy very cheaply, chrome abs mirror covers and caps to fit various 4x4s for years

in my opinion more ornament than use in a practical test. if they are as good as claimed, why not video the damage caused when hit with a large rubber mallet. that would be similar to clipping mirrors whilst driving.

then again, who am i to suggest such practical things when the items in question are generally purchased as an accessory to improve the looks of a large lump of black plastic

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I fitted Mirror Guards when we bought our m/h. Two weeks ago, I was doing about 35 mph on an A road in Yorkshire, approaching a right hand bend. As I went into the bend a truck came the other way overhanging the (double) white line. No option but to take to the hedge! Clobbered the nearside mirror on a branch & it came back & hit the door. No damage to anything anywhere apart from a deepish scuff mark on the Mirrorguard, which polished out with t-cut & a fair bit of elbow grease. Glad I got them - as far as I'm concerned, the proof of the pudding, etc., etc.

Chris

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
We bought them for the look and also our narrow roads lined with granite walls, we lost a mirror to a white van once and since then have had a couple of slow (20-30mph) impact knocks which have kept our mirror in one piece and the other car's in bits, being that our island speed limit is only 40 and only in a few places they are good for over here, but doubt they'd stand up to a good thwack at more than 20-30mph. That said the roads in Europe are so much wider and quieter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Broken Link Removed

Am I missing something - £145 for a new mirror.

£60 to protect it for a "once in a blue moon" accident. And they probably don't work if the vehicle is moving :rolleyes:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had mirror guards on our van. One split in two when a white van Man hit us. Terry went down the road to collect it. Broke the black casing off our fiat mirror. Went back to supplier of mirror guard, he glued it back together!!!!
Should have supplied us with a new one as per warranty on his website.
Put it back on, covered up the broken Fiat mirror. Saved us the expense of buying a new Fiat mirror.
Does not stand impacts as implied on mirror guard website.
passed MOT with it in place then sold the van.
still on forecourt with them on.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Broken Link Removed

Am I missing something - £145 for a new mirror.

£60 to protect it for a "once in a blue moon" accident. And they probably don't work if the vehicle is moving :rolleyes:

Thanks for that link, just checked my van and they fit, so sorted not going to bother buying mirrorguard for 120 on the off chance it might protect.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Spend £100 plus delivery and VAT on a couple of clip on bits of plastic

or

In the highly unlikely event that you wipe out a mirror, get yourself over the eBay where a complete unit can be had for less than the aforementioned "guard"

And lets face it - if you twat it hard enough to take out the whole mirror, all the £120 bit of plastic is going to do is help keep all the bits in one place - thus making it easier to glue back together (y)

For Sale:
Snake oil.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
On the Mirror Guard home page I think the key words are:

- 'safeguard' you against costly repairs

- Full Protection

- No Costly Repair

Clearly, non of those promises were met in Movinon's experience.

Mike

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've been humming and harring for 3 years about fitting Mirrorguards. I wasn't totally convinced for a variety of reasons, and of course they are quite expensive. I've looked closely at them fitted to other folk's vans.

A couple of years a go a white van in France hit our wing mirror, whilst we were parked! Fortunately, although there was a loud 'BANG', to our pleasant surprise, no damage done. But the extended long-reach arms of the mirrors on X250 coachbuilt vans do stick out a hell of a long way, and being black are often not noticed by oncoming traffic - the other driver just sees a white block of van and thinks that's all he/she needs to avoid. Anyway, we then put strips of reflective tape on the back of the mirrors, which gave as more confidence that they'd be seen.

Two months ago I noticed Milenco had bought out a Mirror Protector product for the X250. Now I have some of their ramps and also two sets of their grip mats (which once got me out of serious trouble). I'm generally impressed with the design and effectiveness of the two different items I already own, so thought I'd research their new mirror protectors.

The upshot, I purchased a pair which were delivered yesterday and I've just fitted on the van this morning. Really easy, with secure screw fitting. Yes, they do not appear as robust as the Mirrorguard model, but I'm more than pleased with them - delighted in fact. And for less than half the price of Mirrorguards delivered.

The main reason for the purchase is that the white covers really stand out from the van, and will be seen much more easily than the original black casings. Also, as lightweight as they are, I think they will provide some addition protection. Also, easy to swap over on to another van. Just hope they are not tested in anger.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
It's not just about strength though. Here's another point in the comparison of the two products. The Mirrorguard leaves the front of the mirror proud of the cover, so it's the first thing to hit the side of the van where the impact damage is done. The Milenco fits over the side and is proud of the front. This offers an extra (unquantifiable) degree of protection. There is also the matter of theft. The screw fitting of the Milenco cover can be superglued in place, making it hard to steal without damaging it. I added extra cushioning inside the Milenco cover and extra cushioning to the front as the Milenco wraparound side makes a good base for this.

Movinon the mirror guard is actually proud of the original mirror (they do on mine new fiat base) and has a small bead of cushioned material around the front edge, as mentioned before I think another advantage apart from looking good is there in white which personally I think helps to make them more visible to on coming traffic, I think there worth the investment
Not had to test them yet, maybe because they are more visible, however am going to let the wife drive next time were out and will soon find out if there any good wil let you know after the trip what damage is done

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but what happens if you hit another vehicle's wing mirrors at speed?

Depending on the weight of the guards, the extra weight just gets slammed into your door doing even more damage. I have the marks on the door, the wing mirror survived, the door was dinged and that was without guards.

Someone has just mentioned sikaflex. I would have thought the guards need a foam mount to absorb some of the energy.

Or are they just intended for low speed scrapes on a passing wall.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As for 30 or 40mph closing collisions. Most motorhomes would not survive the impact, let alone the glass!

Not so.

Gorge du Verdon. We are doing 40 mph, Merc 4x4 comes round corner at at least that, so closing 80 mph. The NS mirror was whacked into the door. The glass survived but the motor mechanism plastic cracked. A couple of hours with some thick copper wire and a drill and we had a fully functioning mirror. It lasted another year 'till the next bang which was on a Devon wall.

Full electric mirror was about £70 off ebay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back