Mirror Guards save the day.....again (1 Viewer)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I know this doesn't help the likes of those who have already lost wing mirrors. And most recently @Techno , but for those who are in the middle of the "shall I, Shan't I, may I tell you, they have just saved me a fortune in replacement bills.
IMG_5367.JPG

I had just had a getting together with a French quarry lorry with a closing impact speed of around 90km/hr. Enough I think to have smashed an unprotected mirror. Of course he didn't stop and the following lorry moved over to finish me off, but the verge made a good escape route. The bang was tremendous but after I stoppped the only damage was a few scuff marks and the mirror needed repositioning. :(

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Agree. Saved me a few times. The rubber insets seem to help absorb the impact. I also fix strait on without removing sticky back paper. Easy to then remove for cleaning or transferring to new van.
Brian

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Cost of replacing mirrors this addition in a no brainer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm waiting for him to come up with something that will fit coach mirrors on an A class.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I had a set of mirror guards on my last motorhome, prior to part ex I hauled them off and stuck a pair of Milenco ones on. They were a lot thinner but looked the part. Mirror guards are more quality and stronger.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

MirrorGuard without a doubt.

Please remember that he's a one man band so his despatch and delivery times are not the same as Amazon Prime (y)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
They won't fit my van!

Dave

Sgt411

Free Member
Feb 9, 2011
Between England & France
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I have had a couple of encounters with on coming HGVs and my mirrors have been saved by Mirrorguards. The best bit is that the scuff marks are easily polished off leaving them looking like new. Well recommended.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I have had a couple of occasions when the Mirrorguards have prevented damage, witness a couple of scuff marks.

However I think making the mirrors that much more visible is a benefit too; the long arms do make them quite vulnerable but the guards make the van look much wider than it is and tends to encourage oncoming vehicles to move over a bit. I once recall meeting a timber lorry (they don't take prisoners!) on a narrow road - he took to the hedge and missed me completely!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we had a low profile they saved the mirrors a few times. Good product.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Eeeek! If an HGV is that close you have more than the mirrors to worry about.:ROFLMAO:

Been there, done that.

One of the mirrors is slightly battle scarred but other than that we escaped unscathed (y)

BGB

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
Had a close encounter with French "white van man" on recent trip back from Eymet, closing speed approx 90 mph....LHS mirror guard smashed off along with both mirrors, the complete indicator unit and the heavy plastic mirror base unit cracked. Also mirror guard cracked in 4 places.....managed to get parts online for the mirror unit, repaired Mirror Guard with hot soldering iron and hot melt glue inside it, only problem was getting new mirror base with correct arm lengths, eventually cut arm cover off originals and swapped to new parts.....As usual WVM did not stop but found his complete mirror at scene so felt a little better......used Gorilla Tape to put my jigsaw mirror together til i got home...never leave home without Gorilla Tape!!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Regretably even genuine Mirrorguards probably could not be expected to fully protect against 90 mph.
Thinks, wouldn't his mirror have fitted:sneaky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back