Mirror Guards ? Any recommendations (1 Viewer)

Feb 6, 2019
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Explore RL
Exp
Since 2012
We had the same difficulty. The supplied "sticky tape" didn't reach the mirror casing. I bought a roll of double sided foam tape from our local car accessory store, the thick black extra sticky stuff used to attach number plates, and used that. Works a treat. Make sure you line the Guard up carefully before pushing it home as the tape really grabs.

Thanks Stuart but my initial problem is getting them on far enough for the mirror to reach the back of the guards. I will certainly consider using stronger tape if and when I get to that stage.

Brisan

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We decided on Mirror Guards as the manufacture because the seem a lot tougher than the Milenco ones although of course more expensive. They were a tight fit to put on, if you add soap to the rubber seals it will make it easier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 13, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115 Vogue
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Stuart but my initial problem is getting them on far enough for the mirror to reach the back of the guards. I will certainly consider using stronger tape if and when I get to that stage.
Hi Notts Archer. Yes, that was exactly our problem, the supplied stickies were too thin so there was a gap between the guard and the mirror housing. The thick number plate foam tape took up the slack.

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
When I fitted (original) Mirrorguards to our Ducato I immediately noticed oncoming drivers were keeping a little further away from us! We even had a logging truck - and they take no prisoners! - take to a hedge when he came round a bend, too fast as usual, to find us coming the other way. Mind on that occasion I did "test" the nearside one against some bushes but with no damage.

Over the years they have saved our mirrors on several occasions - I'll admit a couple were my fault so I wear the odd scrape as "battle damage"!

I'm not sure the cheaper Milenco guards are up to that task though.
I fitted the white Milenco guards to our black cab Bailey Autograph when new and to me they look really cool. Also in the five years we have had the van they have been in a few scrapes, like yourself I am also responsible for a few of those knocks. However, they are still going strong and must have saved me a few quid these last 5 years.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I picked bought some Mirror Guards at the NEC last October but can’t get them to fit properly. I’ve tried washing up liquid, brute force and a prayer but still they won’t fit evenly. Can anyone tell me the secret please?
Hi Notts archer, I also found them to be a bit of a @#$%*d to get them to go on ,I was trying to get them over the mirror casing but on a second look via YouTube they Don't go over just level I also took the sticky tape off and put plenty of silicone adhesive in where the indents are and where the tape has been, I put them on and then took them off and then put back on,
the silicone I used was from b&q think it was called fixall , not tried them out yet!!!! not that I want to.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
We had the same difficulty. The supplied "sticky tape" didn't reach the mirror casing. I bought a roll of double sided foam tape from our local car accessory store, the thick black extra sticky stuff used to attach number plates, and used that. Works a treat. Make sure you line the Guard up carefully before pushing it home as the tape really grabs.
Stuart see my post re notes archer I had the same trouble!!

Feb 6, 2019
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Explore RL
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Notts archer, I also found them to be a bit of a @#$%*d to get them to go on ,I was trying to get them over the mirror casing but on a second look via YouTube they Don't go over just level I also took the sticky tape off and put plenty of silicone adhesive in where the indents are and where the tape has been, I put them on and then took them off and then put back on,
the silicone I used was from b&q think it was called fixall , not tried them out yet!!!! not that I want to.

Thanks for your solution POH. I’ll certainly consider it after another one or two tries using the the sticky tape.

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
I have just put some on my van and have used some washing up liquid around the rubber then a pair of clamps to get them on nice and tight....hopefully the tape has stuck so will leave overnight to hold in place.
The surround is level with the mirror casing so should be in the right place.

IMG_1207.jpeg
IMG_1208.jpeg

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Fitting them on a hot day (or heating them) may help. After fitting my MGs, I noticed my drivers side mirror cover wasn’t secured as well as it should - just as well as I noticed otherwise it would have fallen off. I shoved it back on, but it happened a couple more times. It happened again in the French heatwave (42c) last year but this time a firm push moved it further onto the mirror casing than ever before. Problem now seems to be fixed.

Feb 6, 2019
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Explore RL
Exp
Since 2012
I have just put some on my van and have used some washing up liquid around the rubber then a pair of clamps to get them on nice and tight....

Fitting them on a hot day (or heating them) may help. After fitting my MGs, I noticed my drivers side mirror cover wasn’t secured as well as it should - just as well as I noticed otherwise it would have fallen off. I shoved it back

Thanks for your good solutions to my problem in fitting MirrorGuards but hopefully it may have been solved today. While the MH was back with the dealer for a minor job, I casually asked the technician if he had ever fitted the guards and as I had them with me he offered to fit them. Mind you it did take him and his mate together to get enough force for the guards to ‘slide’ on but I was assured that the double sided tape will hold them on.

Thanks to all for the ideas and the methods posted.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Bishbosh see my earlier post re notts archer as I said I took the sticky pads off and put some fixall in place it seems to have worked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back