MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
The weight data for the motorhome we are going to collect next week states:
MIRO 3169kg
Max. user payload 326kg
Max. authorised weight 3495kg
Am I right in thinking that MIRO includes driver (say 75kg) and a full tank of fuel (1L = 1kg?). So that leaves us with 326kg for the passenger and all our clobber, plus onboard water, gas etc. Have we bought a MH with a stupidly low payload?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 20.50.50.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 20.50.50.png
    487.8 KB · Views: 91

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry Cheshirecat57 I have to disagree. If a motorhome has a MIRO of 3050 kg's or less it's not restricted to 60 mph on a dual carriageway A road and isn't restricted to 50 mph on a 60 mph single lane A road.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits.

3rd and 4th on the list.

You are confusing MIRO and Unladen Weight - they are not the same.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Sorry Cheshirecat57 I have to disagree. If a motorhome has a MIRO of 3050 kg's or less it's not restricted to 60 mph on a dual carriageway A road and isn't restricted to 50 mph on a 60 mph single lane A road.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits.

3rd and 4th on the list.

As Cheshirecat57 has already explained in post#60 MIRO is not Maxim Unladen Weight which the speeding legislation is based on so he is correct in saying that MIRO has nothing to do with speed limits.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Am I right in thinking not only has the OP got small payload and is running at 3.5t in present form, but with his MIRO over the magic (not!!) 3050kg he is limited to the lower speed limits that affect the big boys (over 3.5t). If that’s the case the OP may as well up the GVW and enjoy?
Of course I cud be talking out of my backside?‍♂️?‍♂️

I suppose it all depends on usage. If it's just two people and the van is used for 1 or 2 week holidays then it's fine, I mean how much gear do you need to cram in your van if your not full timing?

Without the trailer we'll carry 2 chairs, 2 duvets, 4 pillows, waste & fresh water hogs, 2 hoses & 2 leads, collapsible box full of small spares, hinges etc, a small table, twirly washing line, blocks, mat, fluids... You know the stuff it's considered essential, Yes? We still have 150 kg's plus for food and clothing, laptop, tablets, knitting(!) wifi.

I'm anorakly paranoid about the weight and have even put cans of beans on a scale so I'm fairly confident when travelling with just a 300kg payload. I won't know myself with a Pegaso 590 and a 635 kg payload.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
You are confusing MIRO and Unladen Weight - they are not the same.

Ian
I see, so Ian I subtract the weight of the fuel, gas bottle and driver and then weight it empty?

Iain

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I see, so Ian I subtract the weight of the fuel, gas bottle and driver and then weight it empty?

Iain
Look for the 'Mass in Service' (aka MIRO) figure (item G) on the V5C, this figure is the weight of the MH/camper in 'usable' driving set-up, ie includes the 'fluids' etc for the engine etc and an allowance for a driver but doesn't always include anything else, however if it is below the magic 3050 figure you won't need to be concerned about reduced speeds in the UK for a MH up to 3500kg weight limit. If it is over this then you need to find out what was included in the 'MiS' figure originally by your manufacturer.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Look for the 'Mass in Service' (aka MIRO) figure (item G) on the V5C, this figure is the weight of the MH/camper in 'usable' driving set-up, ie includes the 'fluids' etc for the engine etc and an allowance for a driver but doesn't always include anything else, however if it is below the magic 3050 figure you won't need to be concerned about reduced speeds in the UK for a MH up to 3500kg weight limit. If it is over this then you need to find out what was included in the 'MiS' figure originally by your manufacturer.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
According to my Certificate of Conformity my motorhome has an Unladen Weight of 3015kg (the fabricated weight on leaving the factory) a MIRO of 3281kg (the weight with driver, fuel etc.) and a Revenue Weight of 4200kg (the maximum legal loaded weight).

The Government speed limits given at https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits says the lower speed limits apply to vehicles with an unladen weight of over 3.05 tonnes (3050kg). From this I believe that the lower speed limits do not apply to my motorhome because it has an unladen weight of 3015kg.

The only weight shown on my V5C is the Revenue Weight. The MIRO and ULW are not shown.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
According to my Certificate of Conformity my motorhome has an Unladen Weight of 3015kg (the fabricated weight on leaving the factory) a MIRO of 3281kg (the weight with driver, fuel etc.) and a Revenue Weight of 4200kg (the maximum legal loaded weight).

The Government speed limits given at https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits says the lower speed limits apply to vehicles with an unladen weight of over 3.05 tonnes (3050kg). From this I believe that the lower speed limits do not apply to my motorhome because it has an unladen weight of 3015kg.

The only weight shown on my V5C is the Revenue Weight. The MIRO and ULW are not shown.

Your interpretation is correct.

I do love the ambiguity of your statement “the fabricated weight” in that it can be read as you do not believe the information on the CoC!
The evidence was entirely fabricated M’lud! ?

Ian

Upvote 0

Deleted User

I suspect that very few of us have certificates of conformity making this limit virtually unenforceable for most vans that are around 3500k GVW.

This restriction is an anachronistic throwback to the days when all UK vehicle legislation was based on ULW, it is ridiculous that this legislation has never been updated.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Your interpretation is correct.

I do love the ambiguity of your statement “the fabricated weight” in that it can be read as you do not believe the information on the CoC!
The evidence was entirely fabricated M’lud! ?

Ian
I didn’t intend to be ambiguous. I believe the the CoC is correct because Hymer are usually very accurate on their weights. My use of the word fabricated was used in the sense of build or construct NOT to infer deception or lies. Any ambiguity was accidental, sorry.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I didn’t intend to be ambiguous. I believe the the CoC is correct because Hymer are usually very accurate on their weights. My use of the word fabricated was used in the sense of build or construct NOT to infer deception or lies. Any ambiguity was accidental, sorry.

No need for an apology, I, and I’m sure everyone else, understood your meaning.

The alternative interpretation was, I thought, humorous. ?

Ian

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I've spent the last years totally misreading the unladen/ MIRO, thanks all for the clarification... mind you I suppose driving slower on some roads hasn't done me any harm!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think my sense of humour disappeared with the flat tyre this morning.
No wonder you were feeling a bit deflated ... :confused:
Tyre fixed for ÂŁ10, sense of humour has returned, I can now see smiley faces again.
Great stuff, now pumped up and raring to go! :p

Upvote 0

timsdomain

Free Member
Jan 14, 2015
Baildon
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
since 2000
Sorry to Hijack the tread but i'm confused!
I have three plates on my van and the only consistent thing is the axles weights
the certificate of conformity is in German but the numbers look similar
V5 say 3850kg
can anyone tell me what my max weight can be?
thanks
Tim

Attachments

• weights.JPG
    weights.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 16
  • cert con.JPG
    cert con.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The last plate fitted (converters plate) overrides the others.

Your Max permissible weight (Gross weight) is 3850 kg)
Max Train weight (combined Max permissible + Trailer) is 5500 kg
Max on Front Axle 1850 kg
Max of Rear Axle 2000 kg.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back