Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
Another way to heat your water is to use the load dump from your solar panels to power a low voltage electric element when your leisure batteries have charged.
I'm in the middle of setting this up in our MH at the minute.
That'll be interesting to see. I'd just be concerned about the darker months and whether there would be enough power

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That'll be interesting to see. I'd just be concerned about the darker months and whether there would be enough power
There won't be.... 12v to heat water is like pushing water uphill with a hairbrush... . It will not work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
This will be running in conjunction with our factory fitted Whale gas/240v water heater. I'm using a separate hot water tank for the solar side of it so I can use the whale if the solar is is not giving enough.
On a new build like yours you could incorporate several water heating options into one unit and use whichever is cost effective at any particular time to heat your water.
For us, solar was not being harvested for most of the day after our leisure battery is charged which is a waste of a free commodity.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
There won't be.... 12v to heat water is like pushing water uphill with a hairbrush... . It will not work.
And why won't it work then? Plenty of other are using solar load dump heat their water, which rather proves the concept and it worked just fine on my mock up. :moon2:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
And why won't it work then? Plenty of other are using solar load dump heat their water, which rather proves the concept and it worked just fine on my mock up. :moon2:
what is solar load dump, I assume excess.
But if excess, why not have larger capacity battery to store and use for other things too ?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
what is solar load dump, I assume excess.
But if excess, why not have larger capacity battery to store and use for other things too ?
Once your batteries are fully charged by using your solar panels, your panels are still producing power which is now not required so basically in simple terms, your solar charge controller switches off the feed (load) from your panels and this is referred to as solar load dumping as you no longer have a use for that power from your panels and the potential power you could harvest is wasted.
You could as you say have more batteries to store more from your solar, but another way is to store this power in heating water, which in our case will save us LPG as we are off grid for the most part.
The viability of using a solar dump load depends on the amount of solar you have and of course how much sun you get.

Because we are mostly off grid, we have over 400 watts of solar to get us by in the lower sun months and poorer weather, but come the summer month and lower latitudes, we have way more solar than we can normally use, so heating water which we use is just making more use of what otherwise wound go to waste.

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I find in the warmer sunnier months i use less hot water as i either cold shower or use beach showers. Extra batteries harvesting the sun means larger inverter capability which could then power a 240v water heater for the short time required for a shower. Also if a b2b charger fitted that will also charge the batteries that could power the Inverter and in turn the water heater. The problem id have with solar dump heating the water would be the time i want to shower matching with the time the water is hot.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How do you fit a 12v element to a motorhome boiler?
My only experience is a 1ltr 12v kettle.
15 minute teabreak was over before it even got warm.....with the engine running.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
How do you fit a 12v element to a motorhome boiler?
I haven't, and you may have miss where I said that in my case I'm using a separate tank for the solar water heating.
Without going into loads of detail, I have bought a cheap Chinese water heater, and swapped out the 1600watt 240v element for a 300 watt 12v jobby which is drawing 25 amps and for the capacity of the tank I'm using it took about 40 minutes to heat the water from 17c from the tap to 74c which is what I have the thermostat set at. Even if the conditions are such that the solar is delivering less and it takes 3 hours to get to the thermostat kicking off the power to the water heater, then so what, I still have the Whale if I'm desperate for hot water.
I'm using a 12v 3 way motorised valve to select whichever tank I want to draw hot water from.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I haven't, and you may have miss where I said that in my case I'm using a separate tank for the solar water heating.
Without going into loads of detail, I have bought a cheap Chinese water heater, and swapped out the 1600watt 240v element for a 300 watt 12v jobby which is drawing 25 amps and for the capacity of the tank I'm using it took about 40 minutes to heat the water from 17c from the tap to 74c which is what I have the thermostat set at. Even if the conditions are such that the solar is delivering less and it takes 3 hours to get to the thermostat kicking off the power to the water heater, then so what, I still have the Whale if I'm desperate for hot water.
I'm using a 12v 3 way motorised valve to select whichever tank I want to draw hot water from.
And if the tank is insulated itā€™ll be warm enough for a shower at 11pm... in sunny climes youā€™ll have a free hot shower every day.. thatā€™ll save a lot of gas...šŸ‘šŸ¼
Sounds good

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Is the tank insulated?

If not build a plywood box with 2" all round space and fill with expanding foam = insulated tank.

It's how they do odd shaped fridges on board boats same principle just the other way around.

Cheers James

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Is the tank insulated?

If not build a plywood box with 2" all round space and fill with expanding foam = insulated tank.

It's how they do odd shaped fridges on board boats same principle just the other way around.

Cheers James

Yup, stainless steel tank, insulated and cased for less than 50 quid and has a thermal cutout for over heating if the thermostat fails. (y)

1615200242534.png

1615200255186.png

1615200264271.png

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Bargain!

Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking? New or s/h???

Cheers James

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Bargain!

Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking? New or s/h???

Cheers James

I bought mine from eBay, loads on there to choose from. Mine is Chinese, but was from UK stock.
We have space constants for placing the tank, so mine is an 8Ltr, but that's enough for a shower and washing up.

<Broken link removed>

More to choose from https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...nk+water+heater&_sacat=0&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
What a great idea ,,, why ain't motorhome builders looking at this. Love it

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Most motorhome builders cant even design a van with a useable payload never mind anything out the box.
A lot of the problem is, the youngsters don't want to take a C1 test a lot of the oldies don't want to or can't keep their C1. But they still want all the bells & whistles also modern chassis's are heavier.

OP
OP
Craigderby

Craigderby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
After I finished work today I started taking the glue residue off. The van was fully stickered up from it's school minibus days, and although the vinyl had already been removed the glue is very much in place.
I used an eraser wheel which fits into a drill. I only did the door, and forgot to take a before pic, but here's a half done and then done photo.
The door could be polished now and you'd never know they'd been there, but I'll be repainting it.
20210311_172532.jpg
20210311_172543.jpg
20210311_173127.jpg

OP
OP
Craigderby

Craigderby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
It's on days like today when you decide to clean the roof of the Iveco that you think a small van might of been a good idea. Not finished as rain stopped play.
I also cleaned the wheelarches out, which it's got to be said are in great condition for 17 years old. They'll certainly be getting repainted to keep them looking as good as they do.
20210314_150007.jpg
20210314_145807.jpg
20210314_145818.jpg

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Good work don't skimp on the top coat save getting up there in future.

Cheers James

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you wish to use a product such a raptor, or bedliner spray talk to speedcoat who have a product that they are releasing (delayed due to COVID and so no shows) which is self applied. They may be willing to do you a deal to get their product out there.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Raptor the roof youll never have to touch it again. Ill be raptor spraying my full roof , the roofrack , rear wheel carrier , bumpers , wheel arches etc. Good tough non fading paint that never needs washed or polished.
Do the full body on it mate raptor smooth looks great and a tough as old nails. Fantastic stuff covers light imperfections easyšŸ‘šŸ˜·

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back