minibus conversions and driving licence (1 Viewer)

J

james171271

Deleted User
hi i have been searching all over the net to find out the law on driving a converted minibus on a cat b driving licence and cannot get a straight answer i have been on directgov website and it is so misleading can anyone help please.If i buy for instance a 10 seater minibus and remove the seats to convert it to a camper can i drive it on a cat b licence as i passed my test after 1 jan 1997 as i can only see the law on driving minibuses if i take out all the seats apart from driver and front passenger(cab) is it still classed as a minibus or is it ok as long as it does not weigh more than 3.5 ton im baffled any help please sorry if posted in wrong section

thanks in advance
james

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi James,when you convert it send in the log book stating change of use to motor caravan:thumb: It then becomes the same as a car including for the MOT(class 4 )They usually just send it back altered but sometimes ask you to take it to your local VOSA for a quick look :thumb:
terry
EDIT BTW WELCOME

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you convert to a camper there are specific items needed n required for you to let your local dvla office check then issue a new logbook saying camper/m,home. visit their office and ask for a definition of a m,home. i was given one in a book ..p15revs..how to import a vehicle into great britain issued by the department of transport, on page 30 it describes what is needed. best everyone asks themselves at the dvla then you will all have a copy .,m,homes up to 3.5 tons for new drivers since 1 jan 1997 . 7,5 ton for pre 1997 drivers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again all they need is a bed sink and cooker--all fixed -screwed or what ever
terry

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best people get the book its a bit more than bed seat cooker . if you cant give him real help dont mislead, let the person find the truth from the people who make the rules. no offence but many issues are involved in the original question.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi vwalan not misleading anyone if the above are fixed into your van it satisfies Vosa.You can make them removable with clip fasteners or screw them to the floor/walls---not saying it is ideal but that's all they are bothered about,if memory serves me right they may also require a wardrobe/cupboard,which if the sink is in a unit that satisfy s them.
terry
PS it was SINK not seat

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
get the book .sink not required. used to need fixed water supply but thats changed. dont need water at all now. but a table very important. micro wave passes for cooker. if i could copy the pages i would post them but not poss. these days swansea need a visis by local office. i normally ring my local one n get a visit. most of the questions asked on m,home sites could be answered better by a trip to the dvla office ,all the answers are there, i have spent many hours in our local dvla, first name terms now even desk phone numbers . they are real people when you get to know them.

Upvote 0

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
hi i have been searching all over the net to find out the law on driving a converted minibus on a cat b driving licence and cannot get a straight answer i have been on directgov website and it is so misleading can anyone help please.If i buy for instance a 10 seater minibus and remove the seats to convert it to a camper can i drive it on a cat b licence as i passed my test after 1 jan 1997 as i can only see the law on driving minibuses if i take out all the seats apart from driver and front passenger(cab) is it still classed as a minibus or is it ok as long as it does not weigh more than 3.5 ton im baffled any help please sorry if posted in wrong section

thanks in advance
james

James,

I did get into 'minibus licence' rules quite deeply a few years ago because there are 'exception' rules to some of the licence requirements when not driving the vehicle for profit: for 'hire or reward': I recall that it was all rather complicated but the info is there on the DVLA website.
( edited to remove a totally incorrect statement )

I assume you will want to legally drive the vehicle before you have completed the motorcaravan conversion.

A minibus has between 9 and 16 passenger seats so, if you remove most of them, perhaps you could get it reclassed as a passenger car, for during the conversion and then get it reclassified as a Motorcaravan after you have completed the conversion

Harvey

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
its probably not going to be vosa that is your problem
more likley mr insurance company
who will give you a time limit to complete your conversion 60-90 days
as a van you may only get insured as such (list price of commercial)
self build insurace will probably give you an agreed value or van puchase price+receipted parts fitted but nothing for your labours
there are a few insuance agents such as insurance choice &drian flux are two
i was with shield your motrorhome but may not use them next time

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Remove enough seats so as to be able to carry no more than 6 passengers + Driver
Total 7 make sure the GVDW is 3.5 or below and your legal
below is the current Dept for Transport defiition of a Motorcaravan
Vosa and DVLA are all part of the Dept For Transport
Apendix 4

"Motor caravan" means a special purposes passenger car constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:
  • seats and table,
  • sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats,
  • cooking facilities, and
  • storage facilities.
This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.
The interpretation applied to this definition is as follows
Seats and a Table
  • Are required to be an integral part of the living accommodation area, and mounted independently of other items.
  • The table must be capable of being mounted directly to the vehicle floor and /or side wall.
  • The table mounting arrangement must be secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded), although the table may be detachable.
  • Permanently secured seating must be available for use at the table.
  • The seats must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall.
  • The seats must be secured as a permanent feature, (bolted riveted, screwed or welded).
Sleeping Accommodation
  • Must be an integral part of the living accommodation area.
  • Either beds or a bed converted from seats (to form a mattress base)
  • Secured as a permanent feature, with base structures bolted, riveted, screwed or welded to the vehicle floor and / or side wall, (unless the sleeping accommodation is provided as a provision over the driver’s cab compartment.
Cooking Facilities
  • That are an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation and is mounted independently of other items.
  • That are secured to the vehicle floor and / or side wall.
  • Secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed, or welded.
  • The cooking facility must consist of a minimum of a two ring cooking facility or a microwave in either case having a fuel/power source.
  • If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel supply pipe must be permanently secured to the vehicle structure.
  • If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel reservoir must be secured in a storage cupboard or the reservoir secured to the vehicle structure.
Storage Facilities
  • Storage facilities must be provided by a cupboard or locker.
  • The facility must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation, ie mounted independently of other items, unless incorporated below seat/sleeping accommodation or the cooking facility.
  • The storage facility must be a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded).
  • The storage facility must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and / or side wall, unless a storage provision is provided over the driver’s cab compartment.
  • Geo​

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nice one geo . word for word the info i have here . takes the guess work away. must get passed using this as a type writer, one finger only. everbody should have a copy of the regs . :thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
so I guess using No Nails doesn't comply ... :roflmto::roflmto:
:ROFLMAO: No nails and a screw would :thumb::ROFLMAO:
All the rules are open to your interpretation,while I forgot the table (about 8 yrs since reading )everything else still stands.Although no mention of requiring a sink our Vosa guy wanted one,but this could be a plastic bowl if that is what you wanted.
There is no mention of compliance with gas regs or housing gas bottles in a metal lined cupboard--these do not apply to self builds but do for manufacturing :Eeek::thumb:As I said open for interpretation.:ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
so I guess using No Nails doesn't comply ... :roflmto::roflmto:
:ROFLMAO: No nails and a screw would :thumb::ROFLMAO:
All the rules are open to your interpretation,while I forgot the table (about 8 yrs since reading )everything else still stands.Although no mention of requiring a sink our Vosa guy wanted one,but this could be a plastic bowl if that is what you wanted.
There is no mention of compliance with gas regs or housing gas bottles in a metal lined cupboard--these do not apply to self builds but do for manufacturing :Eeek::thumb:As I said open for interpretation.:ROFLMAO:Ask Ferrari and Brawn gp about that
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back