Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
As regular readers will know I have been considering buying a halogen oven for use in the mh whilst on ehu. Most of the halogen cvens are around 1000 - 1300 watts.
I have now seen some mini ovens at the same price as halogen ovens that operate on slightly less power 680 - 1000w. I appreciate the power usage is not large and is not really a consideration.

What I really want to know from those of you who have used both is which is the better of the two and why?

Many thanks for all the comments I am about to receive.

Norman

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
As regular readers will know I have been considering buying a halogen oven for use in the mh whilst on ehu. Most of the halogen cvens are around 1000 - 1300 watts.
I have now seen some mini ovens at the same price as halogen ovens that operate on slightly less power 680 - 1000w. I appreciate the power usage is not large and is not really a consideration.

What I really want to know from those of you who have used both is which is the better of the two and why?

Norman

A Halogen will cook faster as it is a fan assisted cooker so consume less units of electricity?

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Norman

We have the Halogen and think it is wonderful. It cooks everything from joints to fishfingers, toast to scones and bread. We weren't sure we had done the right thing when we bought it but now use it in the motorhome and when we are home, our oven is a thing of the past!

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Halogen is superior to a 'mini-oven'.

A mini-oven can be slow and will take longer to cook stuff, sometimes longer than a 'standard' domestic oven, they also vary in quality.

A halogen oven is quicker and cooks more evenly, it will use less electricity overall and if you get bored you can play at being a 'moth' and watch the light go on and off ::bigsmile: (not directly though! :Eeek:).

My Mum has a mini-oven in her flat and enjoys the stuff that hubby cooks in ours a lot, but despite this, she just won't use one ... as she doesn't think it looks nice! :Doh: Oh well, at 88 I suppose she's just too set in her ways now! :RollEyes:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I use a min-oven in my van, it cost about £12 from Poundstretcher some years ago and has been used a lot. We have a halogen oven in the kitchen at home which my son uses for all sorts, inc. pizzas which wouldn't fit in the mini-oven - but that's ok 'cos I'm not a big pizza eater. (My daughter cooks everything in a George Forman grill as she doesn't like the halogen, not sure why.)

Anyway, I'd say the halogen is probably more versatile, (and does pizzas), and would be better if there is more than one of you as it has a much bigger capacity - but it's very big and heavy and I would have to keep it on the floor when travelling whereas the mini-oven lives on a tray on the work surface and has plenty of capacity for my needs. It also does toast (very lightly browned) - can a halogen do that? Saves taking a toaster.

It also cost a lot less.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back