Mine could be a big one...... (1 Viewer)

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
We are considering an autotrail arapaho .....however some friends have said if you buy a van over 8m a lot of campsites won't take you because of the length. What's your experience?

Kind regards

Chris

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Our tag axle is 9 mtrs long and not had a problem yet. There are bound to be some sites you won't get on, the same as there are some sites that a 7 mtr motorhome won't get on. Go for it enjoy the space. (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
8.5 metres, no problems, some tight spots on Aires but if you are confident driving a bigger vehicle you will get it most places.

Don't use many camp sites but the ones we have we have never had a problem. To be honest the height at about 3.3 metres can be more of a worry than the length at times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We also have a tag axle just under 9M and never had a problem with a site. Have been given pitches that we couldn't get on because they were to small, but always been given an alternative that was suitable.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Go for it, get the front through the back just follows, you may have some restrictions on sites, but as said whatever length you have may cause restriction,

Depends how truthful you are, but some sites do charge more for large Motorhomes, (unity is 25' ) and 8m does seem to be a figure I have seen, but then I have never had anyone come out and measure me so under 8m it is!

Adrian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Having toured extensively from Scotland to Morocco in a 36 ft RV + trailer we found we needed to research and plan accordingly.. the spontaneity that we enjoyed with a smaller van was all but lost.. just turning up and 'hoping for the best' as a strategy was soon abandoned.

8mt shouldn't be an issue but it stands to reason, the bigger a van the more sites that you just can't physically get on.. not so much in the UK but certainly in Spain where pitches and access can be very tight for large outfits.. some are impossible for all but camper vans..

Some caravan club sites have a 28ft rule.. some ask that you call before arriving to ensure they have a big enough pitch available.. (you can book a pitch, but not a specific pitch).

so to sum up.. be mindful you are bigger than many, and that not all sites can physically cater for big outfits, not all sites welcome big motorhomes and a phone call can prevent disappointment..

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Load of poppycock chris,go for it:cool: we used to own an autotrail chieftain which is the same externally as an Arapaho.we have also 4 American rv,s which were much bigger and as Jim says never had a problem.gofor it and enjoy :):)
brian and jo

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You might technically have problems with the length on some aires in France, but we were recently on an aire with a restriction of 6.5 metres. We are nearly 7.5 metres and next to us was a Fleurette Wincester 84LMS at almost 8.5 metres. We all fitted....just.
Go for it.
Allan

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Only had our 9mtr van since April but have done all over Europe ( Germany, Austria, Poland, Croatia etc etc ) and a fair bit of the UK, and not had a problem in one single place !

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Only problem we found was not the size but fact it has twin wheels at back. Refused entry at campsite in carcassone ...... Quite a few french sites don't allow twin axles ! Length wise fitted it in many a tight spot on aires with space for rear overhang.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If there is a particular site you need to be on and in the guide says "Limit x",i have in the past phoned or e-mailed with the sizes/dates and have been told it would be OK on more than one occasion. When c/van T/A pulling,one site in Germany (ACSI) when i rang about the length said we will put you on two connected pitches and find a place for your motor,this was NOT in the high season though.
It costs nothing and you don't have the worry about where you are going to lay your head,as for Aires,when it says 10 units and there are 15.......... what does a few feet matter. Of course,if it is tiny...but then you would not go in,simple.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you had a wheel at each corner you might have a problem. But you don't and you won't. On small pitches It's all about overhang and invariably this means even if the actual pitch is tiny you very often can still fit. We've had plenty of >8m motorhomes (one of those was an Arapaho) and never really had a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back