Rally Millport Weekend 23rd to 27th July 2020 (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
UPDATE
NO GROUP KAYAKING

£40 set fee 4 nights Thurs-Mon

You can bring your own or hire a backless sit on from the local shop if it’s open.

Ferry fares are approx £20 return depending on size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
List so far

1. Me
2. Mick n Mew Kayaking H/D
3. Dil 7983 " "
4.Funflair ..own kayak
5. Andy63 .." "

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
How good do kayakers need to be ... Tim’s done the pool sessions with Kyle and been down the Doon a couple of times but only done a bit of sea kayaking in very sheltered waters in Loch Torridon? I’d stick to the bike ? but would appreciate company if there are any others slow (non Lycra) cyclers?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
How good do kayakers need to be ... Tim’s done the pool sessions with Kyle and been down the Doon a couple of times but only done a bit of sea kayaking in very sheltered waters in Loch Torridon? I’d stick to the bike ? but would appreciate company if there are any others slow (non Lycra) cyclers?

You don't have to be good at all. There is one or sometimes 2 instructors. Several kayakers are usually first timers. Kames bay is normally pretty sheltered but in any case you will paddle where the instructor deems its safest on that day depending on the weather.

Very few are fast cyclists, we normally stop for a rest and ice cream on the way.

Some past Millport meets here.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
List so far

1. Me
3. Dil 7983 " "
4.Funflair ..own kayak
5. Andy63 .." "
6.DPJay 1 H/D
7.Ian F. Cycling

Grianan do you want added to the list?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
List so far

1. Me
3. Dil 7983 " "
4.Funflair ..own kayak
5. Andy63 .." "
6.DPJay 1 H/D
7.Ian F. 1 HD

Grianan do you want added to the list?

Sorely tempted ... not least because you seem to get great weather!! I’ll chat to Tim and get back to you ...

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We'll hopefully be bringing bikes to cycle this year, stopping at that cafe for icecream of course ?

Yes you are best to bring them since you will be up in Scotland for a while.

Anyone can always hire bikes, including electric ones and scooters too. (y)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You don't have to be good at all. There is one or sometimes 2 instructors. Several kayakers are usually first timers. Kames bay is normally pretty sheltered but in any case you will paddle where the instructor deems its safest on that day depending on the weather.

Very few are fast cyclists, we normally stop for a rest and ice cream on the way.

Some past Millport meets here.

Thanks Sandra, I hadn't seen the 2018 vid before .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Sandra and all, I feel I must explain some Canoeists for Millport will have their own Kayak and some will have their own Canoe some may even have both.

A Kayak you sit in or on top of and paddle with a double ended paddle, a Canoe you sit higher up and/or kneel on one or both knees you then paddle on one side with a single ended paddle, easier with two people though as then the second can paddle on the other side, on your own you might be going around in circles, anybody who fancies it is welcome to have a go in our Canoe with or without me, I will also add that it is quite difficult to fall out of a Canoe if that is a factor (y) not so difficult with a Kayak though.

Is that as clear as Mud?

Martin

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
DAVE CANOE will be great to get a few lessons.
Martin
I seem to have in my mind that you are pretty well qualified and more inclined to be able to give lessons than receive them

hi Sandra hope to be there yes to cycling have canoe but may wish to hire kayak as i am relatively competant.

Dave I will add you to the list. I will check with the outdoor centre but unless they have changed their rules then unfortunately they won't hire individually to you without a group instructor. Your choices would then be..bring your canoe, the shores are relatively shallow and mostly sheltered. funflair brought his canoe last time. You can hire little sit ons from the local shop for £10 an hour but they really aren't comfy and no support for your back.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
1. Me
3. Dil 7983 " "
4.Funflair ..own kayak
5. Andy63 .." "
6.DPJay 1 H/D
7.Ian F. Cycling
8.Hyacinth 1 Cycling
9.DaveCanoe..own canoe

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I seem to have in my mind that you are pretty well qualified and more inclined to be able to give lessons than receive them

Dave I will add you to the list. I will check with the outdoor centre but unless they have changed their rules then unfortunately they won't hire individually to you without a group instructor. Your choices would then be..bring your canoe, the shores are relatively shallow and mostly sheltered. funflair brought his canoe last time. You can hire little sit ons from the local shop for £10 an hour but they really aren't comfy and no support for your back.
Hi Sandra

I am not really qualified at all I have just done a fair bit of paddling (in the past) DAVE CANOE on the other hand if eminently more qualified than me and at a guess the instructors at the centre as well ;)

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back