Millau toll and weight checks (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
After a couple of hours hold up due to an accident on the A75 we decided we would take the bridge toll rather than going through Millau. First thing, €20 something for class 2 😡 then something others have reported but I’ve never seen in over 20 years touring France. Gendarmes with mobile weighing scales. As we pulled up to the toll one of them wandered over to have a look, whether it was the UK plates or whatever I don’t know, but they walked away and off we went. So it does happen!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
After a couple of hours hold up due to an accident on the A75 we decided we would take the bridge toll rather than going through Millau. First thing, €20 something for class 2 😡 then something others have reported but I’ve never seen in over 20 years touring France. Gendarmes with mobile weighing scales. As we pulled up to the toll one of them wandered over to have a look, whether it was the UK plates or whatever I don’t know, but they walked away and off we went. So it does happen!
Have seen police weighing there and Customs searching vans...BUSBY.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Assuming like most tolls the categories are based on 'Plated' Gross weight, then the weighing cannot be for toll purposes. Maybe the bridge is just a bottleneck where they can catch the most vehicles per hour.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
34 x Euros for a Class 3. :Eeek:

We saw the Gendarmes at the Toulouse Peage many years ago, with a set of roll on/off weighing scales, so nothing new really.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

We got charged class 3 on the bridge,so pressed the button and said ‘campingcar s’il vous plaĩt’
and they put it down to class 2. And we are a tag axle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
My van was searched there by customs going northbound in 2021. Put the dog in and everything. All very polite but thorough. First question was had I been to Spain. Figures,the amount of stuff that comes in over the straits.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I think that the class 3 toll might be triggered by height - over 3m

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Assuming like most tolls the categories are based on 'Plated' Gross weight, then the weighing cannot be for toll purposes. Maybe the bridge is just a bottleneck where they can catch the most vehicles per hour.
True..BUSBY

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We got charged class 3 on the bridge,so pressed the button and said ‘campingcar s’il vous plaĩt’
and they put it down to class 2. And we are a tag axle.
Been there and tried that on the way down John, but she wasn't having any of it unfortunately. 🤷‍♂️ No harm in trying though. ;)

Can I ask John, have you registered your MH for the Criti Air sticker? We did in November 23 ready for Rouen, so maybe ANPR is bringing up the vehicle details as we enter the booths. 🤷‍♂️

I think that the class 3 toll might be triggered by height - over 3m
As well as weight maybe, if sensors in the tarmac, as she knew we were over 3500Kgs, hence my question above to John, re Criti Air registration. If he's a tandem axled MH, he'll be at least 4500Kgs, but got through as a Class 2. I have been badgered for Class 4 at Poitier Nord previously, with our 5500Kgs tandem axled Hymer, which is the same Class as a 44 x Tonne Artic. :whatthe: Totally disproportionate, so no way was I paying it...............and I didn't. :mad:

Cheers,

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Been there and tried that on the way down John, but she wasn't having any of it unfortunately. 🤷‍♂️ No harm in trying though. ;)

Can I ask John, have you registered your MH for the Criti Air sticker? We did in November 23 ready for Rouen, so maybe ANPR is bringing up the vehicle details as we enter the booths. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

Hi Jock
No we are not registered. It did help to have a big que behind us as well.:giggle:

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back