Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Just shown all your comments to a couple of our UK dairy farmers. I work in the agric industry. They are appalled and realise the uphill struggle they have to rewin back the loyalty of the home delivered pinta, or even the supermarket collected products.
We certainly struggled to find frische,frais or whatever they called it but Jock may have the answer as we mostly were looking for it late pm once we had settled in.
Thank you for all your comments, certainly opened my eyes.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We eat cheese but find that supermarkets abroad only have the odd British cheese (usually one brand of Cheddar) yet stock loads of cheese types from other countries. Decent cream is impossible to get. What is sold abroad as cream is UHT no more than milk in my opinion and when beaten it just froths up, not thicken. Thick/Double cream is unknown. Where these dairy products are stocked they are usually in a fixture dedicated to UK products aimed at expats and not in the general dairy isles where the other counties products are displayed. To me there is a great market for milk products to be exported. The UK producers needs to think outside the box and not just on liquid milk sales within the UK. I did find one small UK brands supermarket in Campersol that was selling fresh British double cream (Scottish if I remember) at Christmas, so it can be done. British Ice Cream (not the brands of factory made, but real farm) is something that could also be exported. The same goes for bacon rashers abroad.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Cor what a Namby Pamby bunch you lot are just drink whatever the locals drink if it's good enough for them its good enough for you.
God help ya if you ever venture out of Europe. :):)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Cor what a Namby Pamby bunch you lot are just drink whatever the locals drink if it's good enough for them its good enough for you.
God help ya if you ever venture out of Europe. :):)(y)

LOL .... We have not had a problem finding fresh milk in Germany but to be honest after years of living on boats when we have used UHT milk called Parmalat we think that the ones we can buy in France and the continent are great ! The only disappointment is not having real cream in the cakes mostly in France . I have just had the most amazing Black Forest gateau with real cream accompanied by a lovely cup of tea made with fresh German milk . It is as good as it gets !

OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Milk, the most over-rated product of our times. Good quality tea with no milk, orange juice on your breakfast cereal. We only use a fraction of the milk we used too.

Jim, you disappoint me, surely science expounds milk as one of the best health foods.(apart from those with allergies) It's usage has waned as affluence has influenced the choice of foods that supermarkets stock and the milky puddings that grew a nation after the wars has been replaced with " ready meals" and housewifes who go out to work have by and large given up cooking.

The misinformed fears of high fats of dairy products have pushed many towards sugary drinks. A recent poll of shoppers averaged the fat content of whole milk as being 40% fat whereas full fat milk is usually sold at 3.5 - 4.0 % .

Anyway some ideas have evolved from the thread, ;)

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Lads....There is NO substitute for REAL full fat milk, REAL butter or REAL fresh cream. Soy milks??? and uht stuff is, in my view.....disgusting slop. My biggest bugbear is seeing " Fresh Cream " being squirted out of a spray can....just synthetic sugary slop.

There....Got that off my chest!!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
urely science expounds milk as one of the best health foods.

I grew up drinking non pasteurised goat and cows milk and used to love the stuff, but what we get now is just a dead liquid its not milk as it was. As for the science, on the contrary, I thought science has shown than most of the worlds population are lactose intolerant. There are plenty of studies that show how wonderful or awful milk is. But as with all food studies it seems every new one comes to different conclusions. But the latest theories on milk are not good Plenty believe its bad for our bones rather than good. And experts can't really agree I think cows milk is fantastic if you are a baby cow, but not quite as good as we were lead to believe when trying to force down that warm third of a pint at school. :)

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We eat cheese but find that supermarkets abroad only have the odd British cheese (usually one brand of Cheddar) yet stock loads of cheese types from other countries. something that could also be exported. The same goes for bacon rashers abroad.
We too eat and love cheese-I'm sorry to disappoint you,but,Cheddar is not the be all and end all of cheese :) When it's good it's excellent,but there are so many cheeses to try and enjoy.(y) Never mind the supermarkets,try some local markets selling locally produced cheeses.

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
Please tell me I can get milk in Germany, we're doing the Mosel river next month. I drink copious amounts of tea with milk it's the only thing I won't (or can't) give up for lent or any other time.i once walked of a well paid site because site manager moaned about drinking tea on the job ( I had a flask so I like a cupper while I work but it seemed OK for those that smoked to walk OFF site to have a fag.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We checked the packet and that contained a lot of sugar. When you check the packets its amazing just how much sugar and salt are added to our foods these days.

Refined sugar has a lot of health problems to answer for..... I include corn syrup in the refined sugar section.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Bit of useless information. Have you ever wondered how they keep a measured amount of cream in each milk product. A friend of mine was an engineer in a milk production line. I'm told that by using heat and chemical separation every trace of cream is removed from the fresh milk so they are left with a watery liquid substance. The cream is then added back in a measured amount giving what it says on the label.(y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
but not quite as good as we were lead to believe when trying to force down that warm third of a pint at school. :)
Good grief Jim, that's taken me back to my bprimary school days back in the 60s. I hated drinking warm milk, but loved it in the colder weather.
I never aspired to the dizzy heights of "milk monitor". :LOL:

Please tell me I can get milk in Germany, we're doing the Mosel river next month.
Please see my earlier post today, re Frisch Milch. :)

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
I can get milk in Germany

Shop early in the day, they don't stock a lot, if you have a decent size freezer - freeze some down before you go. It comes in paper Tetrapacks and the "Frische" (fresh) looks like the foul UHT, be careful which one you pick up. Think about some dried milk powder to reconstutute in an emergency. We once went three days without a decent cuppa, Torture !

You'll love the Mosel (Moselle) valley, and the wine! Reisling "Halbetrocken"(semi dry) lurvelly stuff.

Moselle.JPG

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
We too eat and love cheese-I'm sorry to disappoint you,but,Cheddar is not the be all and end all of cheese

You are right, the best is Lincolnshire Poacher, but Extra Mature Cheddar is a good second.
If the first taste, doesn't make your eyes water, then it ain't proper cheese.

The French produce slime, the Dutch produce rubber, and the Spanish produce tasteless rubber.
They all call it cheese but it just ain't the proper stuff.

:cooler:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You are right, the best is Lincolnshire Poacher, but Extra Mature Cheddar is a good second.
If the first taste, doesn't make your eyes water, then it ain't proper cheese.

The French produce slime, the Dutch produce rubber, and the Spanish produce tasteless rubber.
They all call it cheese but it just ain't the proper stuff.

You Cannot be serious!!!!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Our milk is pastuerised, standardised, homogenised YUCK.

I like milkman milk from the old days that had a different flavour and fat content at different times of the year and that you had to shake to get the cream mixed back in..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
[QUOTE="Jim, post: 1431324, member: 1" when trying to force down that warm third of a pint at school. :)[/QUOTE]

No , apart from tea/coffee ,warm anything isn't on:sick:.
Everything I drink be water ,milk, coke etc; has to be very cold , summer or winter.(y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You would have difficulty identifying long life fully slimmed milk in cartons from fresh skimmed milk. Put it in the fridge before you open it and it drinks like fresh milk. The rest will keep for months unopened. I prefer Asda's but they are all ok.(y)

It is not often I disagree with a post as much as I do with this one.

"Drinks like fresh milk" ???????????

No it DOESN'T.

UHT = Utterly HORRIBLE Taste.

JJ :cool:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It is not often I disagree with a post as much as I do with this one.

"Drinks like fresh milk" ???????????

No it DOESN'T.

UHT = Utterly HORRIBLE Taste.

Utterly HORRIBLE Taste indeed.......Could I refer you to my kids who were brung up on skimmed uht milk. They will drink nothing else. Chilled fully skimmed is the business.(y)

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
We drink fresh skimmed milk here but when away take lots of skimmed UHT from Morrisons, job to tell the difference.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Here on the Mosel just 7km south from Cochem we are desperately in need of a supermarket where we can park a 7.2 metre van just to pick up fresh milk as well as lots of other stuff . So far everything has been very small Penny , Lidle and Aldi kind of shop with very limited parking spaces . That is definitely where France does better with huge hypermarkets and plenty of parking . Will propably consult Mrs T (our Tom Tom ) and see whether she knows where we should head for supplies .

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Utterly HORRIBLE Taste indeed.......Could I refer you to my kids who were brung up on skimmed uht milk. They will drink nothing else. Chilled fully skimmed is the business.(y)

Your poor, suffering children.

Do they know about Childline?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Here on the Mosel just 7km south from Cochem we are desperately in need of a supermarket where we can park a 7.2 metre van just to pick up fresh milk as well as lots of other stuff . So far everything has been very small Penny , Lidle and Aldi kind of shop with very limited parking spaces . That is definitely where France does better with huge hypermarkets and plenty of parking . Will propably consult Mrs T (our Tom Tom ) and see whether she knows where we should head for supplies .

There is a Rewe on Markweg.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Lidl Germany usually stock fresh milk, 2 weeks ago they had the best price ....... 51 cents for a litre (y)

We found fresh milk nearly always available in every supermarket, you just have to look a little harder sometimes though :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back