Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
fast flowing rivers have got to me a good way to save fuel, as long as they are flowing the way your headed::bigsmile:

washedaway.jpg

I wonder if he could reverse with an A Farme on:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
On our 6.5 turbo Chevy V8 diesel we seem to get pretty consistant mileage however I drive it. I must say that driving a bit slower if France so that Geo could keep up (although his speedo dissagreed with mine and my sat nav) :roflmto::roflmto: I did notice a bit better consumption. I felt that we got about 14 MPG and in France when I actually clocked it tank neck to tank neck we recorded 14.2 MPG. I drive with cruise control on nearly all of the time as it helps to stop me creeping ever faster and with the diesel engine it does not seem to be as eager to drop several gears when it comes to an incline as the petrol engine appears to do. With ours you just hear it growling a bit louder as it digs in to the torque reserves and maybe fires twice a lamppost instead of the usual once :roflmto:
All three of our cars have cruise control and I always use it whenever possible as I am fed up of getting speeding tickets (not had many but I don't like them....) and I certainly feel that driving is much more relaxed and I don't have the urge to "push on", I just sit there and let the machine do the work. I find that cruise also helps with ecomony on all our cars, one being 3.3 ltr petrol and the other being 4.0 ltr petrol, we seem to achieve reasonable miles out of a tankful. I also view the cost of fuel as an overall running cost and if you average out all the costs of motoring then, in my opinion, fuel is not the most expensive element, depreciation is. This may be less true with a motorhome but is a massive amount on a new car etc over say a three year period.
Anyway, bottom line is that we are very happy with our 14.2 MPG.
HTH

Keith

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
i use cruise as well as have neuropathy (nerve damage no feeling) in both my legs find it more comfortable to find a relaxed position for them on roads where cruising is possible:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
fast flowing rivers have got to me a good way to save fuel, as long as they are flowing the way your headed::bigsmile:

washedaway.jpg

Saw this on the Rhone while in Germany:winky:

Suggest these RV'ers buy it as a Toad:roflmto:

Link Removed

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
We've a 275 Cummins with 5 speed Allison gearbox. At 60 (1900 rpm) towing the trailer I was getting 11. At 55 (1800 rpm) without the trailer it seems to be about 12. I drive with the cruise control on and the gearbox in economy!!! mode.
Leaving mine in cruise the only difference I see on hills is the turbo boost gauge climbs up to 25psi. It's only on the very steepest of hills the gearbox downshifts.
I don't understand the posts about anticipating hills. Do you speed up before you get there or something? Doesn't that burn even more fuel accelerating? Or do you gradually increase the throttle to maintain the same speed? Which is exactly what my cruise control does.
Still it all pales into insignificance compared to the boats I owned. The most economical of them did 1 mpg!

Regards
Doug

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi we have been on a fuel conservation coarse if you block change more and try not to stop when coming to lights you will save fuel because starting off uses a lot every time you stop basicly keep moving:Cool:

ray

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
hi we have been on a fuel conservation coarse if you block change more and try not to stop when coming to lights you will save fuel because starting off uses a lot every time you stop basicly keep moving:Cool:

ray
Hi Ray I did that course too but how do you "block change" an auto box they didn't show me that

I have a Ford 460 V8 injection which returns an average of 25 mpg...

Running on LPG :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi Ray I did that course too but how do you "block change" an auto box they didn't show me that

I have a Ford 460 V8 injection which returns an average of 25 mpg...

Running on LPG :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So on normal running to you get about 13 or 14 mpg?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I think my baby needs a tune at 7.85 mpg but we are alway towing the car:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back