Milenco Window Alarms. | MotorhomeFun | The Motorhome Support and Social Network

Milenco Window Alarms.

Jan 11, 2018
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Hello, I have a question please.
I have 6 of these on my motorhome , all have new batteries and I have tested with a multimeter that each little stack of 3 batteries is delivering 4.5v to the device.
3 start up and bleep immediately and work fine.
The other 3 sometimes start fine but very often take maybe a minute to bleep and start up and begin flashing their warning lights. Almost as if the batteries are failing to 'charge' perhaps a capacitor of something inside? Sometimes they don't start at all.

Has anybody found the same?
Does this mean they are duff?

I know they are cheap trashy things but they do give a level of (probably psychological only) of security at night.

To replace them could anybody please recommend suitable alternatives?

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2017
I had the Milenco alarms fitted but was worried that someone could force the window open and then just rip the alarm off the window. They were also unreliable and sometimes stopped working for no obvious reason. I replaced them with "tiiwee" door/window sensors (from Amazon). The tiiwee sensors have been 100% reliable with good battery life and no false alarms. it has a separate (but small) wireless siren which can be fitted in a hidden location inside the motorhome. Highly recommended.
Regards
Ian.

OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I had the Milenco alarms fitted but was worried that someone could force the window open and then just rip the alarm off the window. They were also unreliable and sometimes stopped working for no obvious reason. I replaced them with "tiiwee" door/window sensors (from Amazon). The tiiwee sensors have been 100% reliable with good battery life and no false alarms. it has a separate (but small) wireless siren which can be fitted in a hidden location inside the motorhome. Highly recommended.
Regards
Ian.
Thank you for your advice , I have ordered some.
Much more expensive than the Milenco but as I mentioned above these are not faring well.
I've spent a small fortune on batteries as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
That's strange - have had many sets over the years of the Milenco window alarms fitted to first our caravans & more recently our motorhomes & not experienced any problems. Don't think the Milenco ones would be easy to rip off (have always left them on when selling) but do like the remote siren function of the more expensive alarm system version of the tiiwee.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Mine are used on 3 windows. They all stopped working about the same time so replaced the batteries. They still refused to work. Perhaps when the batteries fall below a certain level it triggers a "self-destruct mechanism" (or built-in obsolescence) :LOL:

Anyway, gave up and replaced them with the 3 spare ones left in the box.

OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Had not thought of it this way until tiiwee alarms were mentioned above.
The Milenco ones must carry enough energy onboard to operate the ciren fitted to the unit.
The tiiwee ones only have to signal to the central ciren which hopefully may be a more robust system.
As I mentioned the batteries must be half the cost of the Milenco units, you need 18 off for 6 units.
If you buy expensive (good?) batteries this can be about £15 worth.
I convinced myself that the cheap ebay batteries (LR44's) don't cut it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
north shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Have Milencos fitted to the windows and have replaced the batteries once and they're still ok but I like the look of the tilwee system other than there doesn't appear to be the intermittent LED flashing light that the Milenco alarms have.

Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Rhino Installs
West Country Motorhomes