Free Member
Apr 4, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking for the right one
Exp
Hello

I know this has been touched on in other posts but I really need peoples opinions on this. Id like to know what would be the ideal sort of miles per year to go for on a second hand motor home. There is plenty for sale that have done about 3000/4000 miles per year for 6/7 years for example what kind of problems can this cause? Has anyone bought one that has done low miles per year and had any problems? My budget is £20,000 max so trying to get the best I can but dont want to end up with something costing 1000s in repairs.

Thanks in advance, Rich

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Rich and welcome,for an example I quote the van I had before my current one.It was a 2000 Citroen Jumper base vehicle,1.9td.
Can't remember the mileage on it when I bought six or seven years ago and the van although over 10 years old was mint inside and out.
I discovered it was owned by an elderly couple.
From the start I felt it was sluggish and poor fuel consumption for a small engined van.I serviced everything myself a couple of times and things didn't improve.I knew something was wrong but couldn't put my finger on it.
Eventually after I had been unable to drive due to surgery it started and drove a few yards and came to a stop,my local friendly garagiste here in France towed it in and we both took a look around,he put his hand over the exhaust,put it up on the ramps and removed part of the exhaust.
The downpipe had a rudimentary DPF filter this was completely blocked.
We looked on the microfiche and a replacement was nearly a €1000!!!!
In 2000 it was a changeover year and a straight pipe was €75,
I insisted on fitting it although he felt it would fail emission test.
It didn't and went far far better than ever before,he said it had blocked over many years due to inactivity and never been given a "Italian tune up" so just goes to show.
Ambulances,police cars and vans,delivery vans all on the same chassis and engines do stellar mileages partly because they never really get cold.
Don't be put off by a higher mileage vehicle if it's the right price and full service history.
Hope this long reply helps,good luck with your search.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There's no reason a high or low mileage van will need costly repairs if it has been maintained and serviced regularly
Most of the problems with little used vans will be tyres past their best but still with plenty of tread, brake calipers sticking through lack of use and pads deteriorating but with plenty of " meat" left

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How the mileage was reached is hard to determine.
It may have been a couple of trips to Spain per year and a couple of weeks each trip on site.
Or...it may have been used every weekend in the UK.

Mileage isn't an indication of wear and tear, the Spanish trips will cause minimum wear to the hab area as It's only minimal usage, whereas every weekend will cause more.

With proper care and servicing a modern diesel should be good for at least 1/2 million miles.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
How the mileage was reached is hard to determine.
It may have been a couple of trips to Spain per year and a couple of weeks each trip on site.
Or...it may have been used every weekend in the UK.

Mileage isn't an indication of wear and tear, the Spanish trips will cause minimum wear to the hab area as It's only minimal usage, whereas every weekend will cause more.

With proper care and servicing a modern diesel should be good for at least 1/2 million miles.
As above, really - a service/hab record and the mark one eyeball will tell you all you need to know. There are plenty out there so if it doesn't look (or smell) right then walk away. A 20k motorhome will also hardly depreciate so if you buy well, you may even make money on it(y)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Similar to @Baldeagle7470 my present van ,also a Challenger 104 .2000 Citroen Jumper base vehicle,1.9td with 161000km on the clock in the second owner.
No Problem with higher milage serviced by myself pulls well over most terrains , though getting stuck behind a line of lorries heading up to the Sompot Tunnel ,slowed it down a bit. Other than that works for me (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When we bought our 2.8 jtd Fiat powered Hobby in 2014 it had 'Sleeping Sickness". It was generally sluggish combined with a sticking wastegate valve. This manifested itself in the dreaded 'Engine Warning' light coming on at about 2700rpm when in 4th gear going uphill. That has been known to induce the van's with a similar problem going into 'Limp' mode but that didn't happen to us.
After giving the Wastegate valve a good wiggling (oo er missus) and giving it a good coating of grease, we haven't had a repeat. That, and a regular change of oil and filters, and a good thrashing now and again has brought the 'van back to life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back