Milan / Italy - Ducato Poor Door Locks / Be On Your Guard..... (1 Viewer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just about to fit ProPlates to my 2018 X290 and I discovered these were fitted. Has anyone else seen them? Are Fiats now strengthening the door locks, and do I need to fit the ProPlates? There is of course nothing on the outside to disuade an attempt to punch a hole beneath the door lock...
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
would this simple mod to make your own work ?

Plate1.jpg
Plate1.jpg

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
They'd still have to climb through it on mine as the internal door locks have to be removed from the rear of the vehicle.:xThumb:

But never forget - the harder it is to get in a vehicle

And if they really, really want to get in

The more damage they cause doing it. :(

A friend had £700 worth of damage to his car after they nicked his stereo. :mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Know a few lads with Trafic and Vivaro vans that have had their tools stolen, just a screwdriver pushed through in the right place on the back door pops the lock open!!
Son and I have a Vivaro kitted that we use weekends for bikes and motorbikes and I have put a plate on the back door??

if they broke in they would only get some tools and clothing but probably do about £1k worth of damage.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
They'd still have to climb through it on mine as the internal door locks have to be removed from the rear of the vehicle.:xThumb:

Its a good point, but isn't there a risk that they're only going find this out, once they've trashed your window? At which point they may still try and rob the van or walk away... either way its not good news.
Everyone has their own take on this, so not trying to preach to anyone on this ...but my view is that I will do what I can to deter them from touching the van in the first place - anything after that is likely to cost me more in the long run, and unlikely to put the determined thief off

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
What makes the Ford Transit Mk 8 so easy to steal?

Not being a thief but I suspect a search in "youtube" will show you.

"Peel and Steal" to gain access should be a good search option.

Then I suspect a OBD reader to reprogram and start the engine.

But I suspect all vans are easy to break into and nick if you are not bothered about damaging them.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Its a good point, but isn't there a risk that they're only going find this out, once they've trashed your window?
Very true,In fact I often find I unlock the van with the remote only to be unable to get in as the door bars are still in & access is only from the side door, which has a milenco on it outside..:xrofl:Only having an actual lock on the drivers door a flat battery :xdoh:means that you could not even get in through the side door as it only works on central locking.:xsurprised:

On mine I have rear door internal upper & lower bolts . On the outside milenco sliding locks.the front doors have 1/2" stainless steel bolts through the B pillar into the front doors. The obd reader has a steel cage & there is a pedal/clutch lock fitted along with a stop lock steering wheel lock. I use all the above when parked. There is also an alarm to be fitted along with tracker. The majority of them are only to delay attempted theft hopefully for the few seconds so allowing for my return to catch them in the act where I can then crucify them ,pour petrol over them & set them on fire,put them out & do it again , & again, & again.This is after having broken every bone in there body(y):xlaugh:(y):xrofl: Then check there pockets to see whether there is enough to pay for the damage.:xThumb:

:xThumb:

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Not being a thief but I suspect a search in "youtube" will show you.

"Peel and Steal" to gain access should be a good search option.

Then I suspect a OBD reader to reprogram and start the engine.

But I suspect all vans are easy to break into and nick if you are not bothered about damaging them.
I asked the question because every time Ford is mentioned we get the same old response "Ford are so easy to steal". It is interesting that the poster who made this comment earlier has not responded. Older Fords were easier to steal with the Tibbe locks but Ford no longer fit those. Its a shame some keep trotting out the same out-of-date garbage.

Frankly today Fords are no easier/harder to steal than any other chassis make, and there are spates of every type of vehicle theft being reported. "Peel and Steal" only applies to panel vans, and OBD ports an any vehicle are susceptible. Cheap battery angle grinders will defeat most types of clamps and locks.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
How do you overcome the plastic cover that houses the side blinds? The videos on YT show the Thule and Heosafe being fitted to Ducato's that do not have these. Hope that makes sense. Thanks

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
How do you overcome the plastic cover that houses the side blinds? The videos on YT show the Thule and Heosafe being fitted to Ducato's that do not have these. Hope that makes sense. Thanks
I believe you have to cut away a bit of the blind trim. I did see it is a previous thread. I’ll go and look.

There is a photo here at post 5 on this thread

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Try this.
Posted by Yours truly (if it fits!)

We have 'Pop Up' buttons on our doors.
There is a lip on the door card where the button emerges (Fiat x244 pre 2006)
I drilled a small hole through the lip and on through the button with the button in the DOWN position. It is IMPORTANT to drill slightly to one side of the button because there is a steel rod running up the middle of the button.
That allows the insertion of a rivet through the hole and in doing so prevents the button being unlocked. We obviously have to leave the 'van through the hab. door.

Sorry the horse has bolted on the OP but it might someone.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks. I looked at post #5 but this relates to the external lock. The ones I am looking at are fitted to the inside of the cab doors.
I take on the comments in the forum on the security regarding the damage they do getting in when you have fitted deterrents. My personal take is that a determined thief will just smash anything to get in. But, if they see the deterrents, and we have parked somewhere busy, it will take a lot more effort. Hopefully, this will deter them. Fingers crossed.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks. I looked at post #5 but this relates to the external lock. The ones I am looking at are fitted to the inside of the cab doors.
I take on the comments in the forum on the security regarding the damage they do getting in when you have fitted deterrents. My personal take is that a determined thief will just smash anything to get in. But, if they see the deterrents, and we have parked somewhere busy, it will take a lot more effort. Hopefully, this will deter them. Fingers crossed.
Sorry then, but it looks like the inside to me , with a little corner cut from the Remis blind surround.

Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just checked our newly acquired 2007 Ducato and found the tell tail 'v' slot on the bottom of the locks both sides! (hence why the previous owner installed internal locks as well I guess)

I would tend to agree that visible deterrents do make it look more like you've got something to protect, but then the flip side of that is that having nothing makes you a softer target than with... Proplates for me I think and more research into the various alarm systems people have mentioned, something with a proximity warning chirp maybe?

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I like that solution more than the internally fitted locks. Anyone looking to break in would probably move on to something else that is easier.
I suppose you could dead-lock them on a night too and use the body door to go in and out.
Are they hard to fit?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I like that solution more than the internally fitted locks. Anyone looking to break in would probably move on to something else that is easier.
I suppose you could dead-lock them on a night too and use the body door to go in and out.
Are they hard to fit?
Not for me... But then again, I am a genius ??

Yes I lock us in at night, the habitation door is next to the bed in case of emergency ?

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
That is me convinced that it us the way to go. I might have a practice run if I can persuade the local scrap yard to let me loose on a similar door before I cut into the MH.
Thanks to all for your comments.

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
We always fit Fiamma safe door frame locks as they come with a matched key for three locks.

In my humble opinion, Fiamma door-security devices are a fairly open invitation for someone to have a go at getting in. (I bought one, on recommendation, but ended up not fitting it.)

Anyone looking for real van security could have a word with EdLocks, near Kegworth. Excellent in every way. (Yes, I know that location isn't convenient if one lives in Cornwall or Scotland, etc. etc. etc.)

Apr 21, 2019
Willenhall
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
30 years on and off
I asked the question because every time Ford is mentioned we get the same old response "Ford are so easy to steal". It is interesting that the poster who made this comment earlier has not responded. Older Fords were easier to steal with the Tibbe locks but Ford no longer fit those. Its a shame some keep trotting out the same out-of-date garbage.

Frankly today Fords are no easier/harder to steal than any other chassis make, and there are spates of every type of vehicle theft being reported. "Peel and Steal" only applies to panel vans, and OBD ports an any vehicle are susceptible. Cheap battery angle grinders will defeat most types of clamps and locks.
They really are easy to get in to but wont explain on a forum.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
They really are easy to get in to but wont explain on a forum.
Rather a cop out, if its that easy it will be detailed in other areas of the web. Tell us how its done so we can take measures against it, or are you just following the Chinese whispers again, and actually don't really know.

But like any other motorhome you simply force/break a side window. :LOL:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Rather a cop out, if its that easy it will be detailed in other areas of the web. Tell us how its done so we can take measures against it, or are you just following the Chinese whispers again, and actually don't really know.

Rather silly to set out exact instructions on the internet, as anyone who doesn't know and is of a mind to commit to illegal behaviour can easily copy them. In general, methods tend to be passed by mouth in my experience, and few are explicitly detailed on the internet.

I would suggest Trade Vehicle Locks website as a reasonably good source of information about specific vulnerabilities. Not that they detail the methods used to compromise manufacturers' security, but they do sell products specifically designed to protect against them.

For the current Transit, note the security lock bezel and OBD lock ;)

There may be other issues I don't know about. I've been out of the game a couple of years now, so don't get to see the thousands of compromised vehicles every year that I used to. But there were other vulnerabilities not often mentioned, such as opening the doors by a very simple method that starts off with smashing or prising the cover off an external lamp unit. No way to mitigate against that one, unless you remove the lamps and drive around illegally.

Apr 21, 2019
Willenhall
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
30 years on and off

Have you got a transit or just asking in general?

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
That is me convinced that it us the way to go. I might have a practice run if I can persuade the local scrap yard to let me loose on a similar door before I cut into the MH.
Thanks to all for your comments.

I chickened out of drilling out the cab doors. Now have fitted Heosafe internal locks to the cab doors along with Milenco locks to the hab and garage doors. I found them all very easy to fit and they don't look bad at all. Finally, we have an appointment with eddievanbits to have a Growler fitted. This is providing we are let out to play in June ?.
Thanks again to all posters who helped me reach this point.
Stay safe and keep well.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
With all this talk of devices to stop the cab doors being opened it got me thinking. Is it just not a lot easier for a would be thief just to force open one of the flimsy plastic windows in the hab area? I tend to think if they want in they will get in. Preventing it being driven away seems a lot more important then if they mange that a well hidden tracker is next on the list.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back