Milan / Italy - Ducato Poor Door Locks / Be On Your Guard..... (1 Viewer)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
With all this talk of devices to stop the cab doors being opened it got me thinking. Is it just not a lot easier for a would be thief just to force open one of the flimsy plastic windows in the hab area? I tend to think if they want in they will get in. Preventing it being driven away seems a lot more important then if they mange that a well hidden tracker is next on the list.

Depends on the thief, the circumstances, and what they are trying to steal. It may be easier if they don't mind climbing in and out of windows on an unattended van, although it's even easier to manipulate the door locks and won't attract so much attention unless there is an alarm, as entering via a cab door looks less suspicious than clambering in a window.

But entering through the cab doors appears to be the method of choice for the thieves that like to enter vans whilst the occupants are asleep, to steal handbags, wallets and other valuables. Quick and silent (alarm not withstanding).

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
With all this talk of devices to stop the cab doors being opened it got me thinking. Is it just not a lot easier for a would be thief just to force open one of the flimsy plastic windows in the hab area? I tend to think if they want in they will get in. Preventing it being driven away seems a lot more important then if they mange that a well hidden tracker is next on the list.
I hear and respect what you are saying. Yes, the flimsy windows are the easiest way in. They are not the easiest way out though and the prospect of being stuck in a van when all hell lets loose once the Growler alarm goes off may make that point of entry not such a good choice. More so if the cab doors are barred with additional dead-locks.
My approach is it is all about visual deterrents. The more you have, the more an opportunist may be tempted to look elsewhere. A good visual deterrent is not to leave valuables on show and park in sensible places. There is stacks of good advice on parking to be had here.
A well hidden tracker may help you get whatever is left of your motorhome back but, it does not stop it departing in the first instance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back