Migrating from one PC to another (Windows 10). (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have searched the forum, but not a lot came up. :(

I am currently making a full back up on to a pocket HD of the outgoing laptop, which has Windows 10 installed, (over 12 x hours so far, and not even half way yet :( ).
When the incoming laptop arrives, also with Win 10 installed, how do I transfer all my programs, folders and files? Do I connect the pocket HD, and use the restore function?

Apparently, Win 7 has an "Easy Transfer" facility, but it's not available for Win 10, and the only alternative on offer, appears to be the purchase of some fancy software to install on both PCs, to facilitate the transfer. :(

Help appreciated please. (y)

Thanks in advance,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Surely you only want to transfer your personal files to the new PC, not everything?
I suppose so Nasher, but not having needed to do this before, I'm not sure. Do you mean documents and photos, videos, etc, etc?
What about programs like mail manager (Mozilla Thunderbird), VPN, Firefox, and the likes, etc, etc? Don't they need migrating with all my email folders, contacts, and settings, etc?

Can I do this migration thing with an ethernet cable between the two PCs?

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can I do this migration thing with an ethernet cable between the two PCs?

Cheers,

You will be able to transfer your data if is possible to transfer programs but you need to be fairly technical to do it.

Firefox is easy just set up the sync and after loading on new PC sign in to Firefox sync job done. Sync is great, save a bookmark on my phone and it's on the PC as well.

Thunderbird, you can export all your settings and folders.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
saw this program but not used it.
Method 1. Transfer Files from Old PC to New PC in Windows 10 at One Time
An ideal way to migrate old PC files to the new computer is to transfer all files to the destination computer at one time.

To save your time and energy, here we'd like to recommend you try EaseUS Todo PCTrans which allows you to selectively choose files as many as you want to and transfer to a new computer with just only a free simple clicks.

You can just download and install this software for free on both of your computers and apply to transfer files with below tips with ease now:

DownloadWin Version

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Just doing this for an elderly neighbour. Moving the files was straightforward but migrating Windows Live Mail on the (very) old laptop to Outlook 2016 on the new laptop is a bit more complicated!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Many thanks to @Nasher, @Lenny HB, @Jimbohorlicks, and @Bill-OR, for your replies and suggestions. Much appreciated thanks. (y)

Unfortunately, nothing will be happening for now, as the replacement Laptop has just arrived via UPS Tracked Delivery..............................and it has a bl@@dy great crack on the casing to the right of the keypad. To say that I am peed off, would be an understatement. :mad:

The seller when contacted, wanted me to re-pack it, and take it to my nearest UPS collection point. Where the hell is that? My thoughts were, "Bu@@er off matey, you can arrange for collection tomorrow, as I am out of here on Thursday"........................however, in conversation I was a tad more politer than that............but just a tad. ;)

I will get around to doing the migration at some point, so the info will still be useful to me, and to others hopefully. :)

Thanks again,

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back