Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi I sha be at the ferry Dock on the 26th of September on the way home after 4great months in France. However I keep hearing snippets about migrants in large numbers trying to get into motorhomes. Has anyone experienced this lately.? Roy

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Youl be fine,,,

I think there all going to Spain from Morocco now,,, there surfing in tarrifa!! Lol.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi I sha be at the ferry Dock on the 26th of September on the way home after 4great months in France. However I keep hearing snippets about migrants in large numbers trying to get into motorhomes. Has anyone experienced this lately.? Roy

Theres been quite a bit on here

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/caen-migration-problems.176681/

in the press
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7066003/france-fishing-port-ouistreham-normandy-migrants-enter-uk/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...migrants-seen-prying-open-UK-bound-lorry.html

and a recent

We re no wimps but went for calais instead 2 weeks ago. Unlike Calais you have to enter Ouistreham slowly and like Calais you probably no longer want to be travelling in the darkness hours.

Its a real shame because Caen is the only reasonably priced Britanny crossing with the best choice of departure times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There were quite a lot when we drove through the town a week or so ago. We didn't arrive by ferry, we were just driving along the coast. However, apart from one group of 20 to 30, the rest were ones and twos.

All the traffic lights were on flashing amber which might be an attempt to prevent traffic becoming stationary and be targeted.

I don't think what I saw would put me off using the port.

Last edited:

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
They struggle to get on the back of my motorcycle with wife on, however we are avoiding France all together this year and sailing to and from Bilbao

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I had two try to stowaway at Calais Cite Europe on Sat 15th during the day ! @Khizzie

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We stayed at Ouistrerham aire on 30th August. We were a little unsure after reading reports but got to the port early enough to look for somewhere else should we have to.
There were small groups of bored looking migrants sitting on the verges on the approach to the the ferry terminal but we saw none in the town itself or near the aire. After walking into town for a meal we had a quiet night and up early for the 8.30 ferry on Friday. There were approximately 15 vans in the aire while we were there.
Jill

Deleted User
What exactly does anyone think that these people are going to try and do when driving slowly or stopped at traffic lights?

They try and get in the back of lorries, would they try and get in a motorhome with people inside? I rather doubt it and don't think that they will attempt to rob you with all the Gendarmerie about.

We have used Ouistreham twice recently, last time inbound to France, a few would be migrants dossing on the grass, lots of Gendarmes. When we left France in July we stayed at a free aire along the coast rather than in the port, no problems whatsoever.

G kelbone

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since20 2003

G kelbone

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since20 2003
We crossed from Caen on 21/10/18. As we entered town the evening before we were surrounded by Migrant youths, we did wonder what was going at first. There was a shellfish festival in town so it was a bit busy, but we managed to get through to the other side of Port and stopped on Aire for the night. We walked out to see the festival and we could see locals and visitors watching, amused, at these youths trying to get onto Lorries as they were driving in for the night crossing. If they failed they just ran back and sat on the garden walls, waiting to try their luck again.
That night we were woken by these youths shaking our van they were trying to gain access to our lockers and it sounded like they were trying to remove our bikes. This happened at 2.30am and again at 4.30am, of course we didn’t dare open the door as we were terrified. At 6.30am we drove into queue at the Port. We were also travelling with relatives in another Motorhome. At the Port we could see Lorries being checked half heartedly, by a young female guard with a tiny torch in the pitch dark. The Motorhomes were not being checked, as usual. When we got off in Portsmouth, as we drove through Passport Control we were asked if we
Were Confident that it was only us on board our van!! As apparently these youths can slip out of the back of the Lorries and gain access to Motorhomes! When our friends arrived back home they noticed rope tied underneath their van, like a hammock, whether or not they carried someone into the Country under there we will never know. All Motorhomes should be checked by security as these Migrants are determined to stowaway, underneath bike tarpaulins, in lockers or even
Underneath as we found out!

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We crossed from Caen on 21/10/18. As we entered town the evening before we were surrounded by Migrant youths, we did wonder what was going at first. There was a shellfish festival in town so it was a bit busy, but we managed to get through to the other side of Port and stopped on Aire for the night. We walked out to see the festival and we could see locals and visitors watching, amused, at these youths trying to get onto Lorries as they were driving in for the night crossing. If they failed they just ran back and sat on the garden walls, waiting to try their luck again.
That night we were woken by these youths shaking our van they were trying to gain access to our lockers and it sounded like they were trying to remove our bikes. This happened at 2.30am and again at 4.30am, of course we didn’t dare open the door as we were terrified. At 6.30am we drove into queue at the Port. We were also travelling with relatives in another Motorhome. At the Port we could see Lorries being checked half heartedly, by a young female guard with a tiny torch in the pitch dark. The Motorhomes were not being checked, as usual. When we got off in Portsmouth, as we drove through Passport Control we were asked if we
Were Confident that it was only us on board our van!! As apparently these youths can slip out of the back of the Lorries and gain access to Motorhomes! When our friends arrived back home they noticed rope tied underneath their van, like a hammock, whether or not they carried someone into the Country under there we will never know. All Motorhomes should be checked by security as these Migrants are determined to stowaway, underneath bike tarpaulins, in lockers or even
Underneath as we found out!
I crossed on the 26th September, afternoon sailing, never saw any migrants at all, all lorries were being searched properly by two security personnel. All motorhomes and caravans, vans etc. including mine were searched inside and checked underneath. Strange we should have totally different experiences, albeit you were there late afternoon and night, I was there late morning and afternoon

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We came back recently from Caen. There were several checks made on our MH, inside/outside.

G kelbone

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since20 2003
I just gave you our experience, it may differ from yours but it just shows security checks need to be consistent, other wise there is no use them having any security at all.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There were migrants hanging around at the Auchan Drive at Dunkique plus a massive security presence within the store carpark.

We came home via Calais and our van was thoroughly checked, inside, roof and underneath prior to joining the boarding lane.

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
We were there last week. Stopped at the aire around lunchtime and a French lady said she hadn't had any trouble but watch out as there were two hiding underneath a horsebox van parked up there... One came out after a little while.
Driving into the port an hour later, as we - fairly slowly - negotiated around the car park and fish market area leading up to the port, we suddenly saw a load of immigrants running towards us. Then we realised they weren't interested in us, but in the large lorry following us.
The lorry then sounded his horn, we pulled over slightly for him to overtake and he sped past us at a rate of knots, presumably so they couldn't jump on the back.
Having said all that, agree with everyone else that as long as you are sensible (and preferably not driving a lorry!) you should be fine.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I just gave you our experience, it may differ from yours but it just shows security checks need to be consistent, other wise there is no use them having any security at all.
Remember it is the driver's responsibility to check their vehicle. If you arrive in the UK and a check in the port finds a stowaway it is an automatic £2,000 fine for each illegal on board.

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
I'm booked on the 2230hrs sailing from Ouistreham on the 24th November. As we're driving up from Cervera del Maestre we'll take our time en-route, maybe three nights hither and yon. Hopefully we'll not encounter any problems at the port as it should be pretty cold, damp and miserable. We'll not be hanging about and hope to be able to get ourselves, camper and dog checked in and maybe catch a snack in the port. As we only have a camper this time we're thinking we should be left alone, fingers crossed. Let's hope so.

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I'm booked on the 2230hrs sailing from Ouistreham on the 24th November. As we're driving up from Cervera del Maestre we'll take our time en-route, maybe three nights hither and yon. Hopefully we'll not encounter any problems at the port as it should be pretty cold, damp and miserable. We'll not be hanging about and hope to be able to get ourselves, camper and dog checked in and maybe catch a snack in the port. As we only have a camper this time we're thinking we should be left alone, fingers crossed. Let's hope so.
I had the afternoon crossing at the end of September and had no problem at all. So fingers crossed for you.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Remember it is the driver's responsibility to check their vehicle. If you arrive in the UK and a check in the port finds a stowaway it is an automatic £2,000 fine for each illegal on board.
No that only applies to commercials & coach/bus operators.

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back