LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It doesnt take much to start with basic car parks with spaces painted out large enough for motorhomes.
Flyde council has done this. We were there last weekend and paid £15 for 2 nights and days. We consider this fine as the car park was in a good location on the seafront, I wouldn't consider £15 acceptable if the car park was in a poor location so obviously prices could vary.

There were over 20 vans there each night so I would say there was worth while and the demand is there. Just taking the benefit of the parking income and keeping the vans off side streets is worth councils doing this kind of semi-aire scheme.

We spent over £120 between a hotel, cinema, shops, amusement arcades, so once again another reason why these schemes are viable to councils and local traders. If this car park was unavailable we may have parked on a road but more likely we would have gone elsewhere and so would the friends we met up with there. It works so is very strange other councils are not following.

The friends we met are the ones who no-loonger go to france after being confronted by immigrants.
The difference is that several people (including yourself if I recall correctly) took the trouble to constructively lobby the council such that they responded positively (even though they had suffered abuse for several years). Similar schemes could work in other places but people will not make the case to the councils involved so there is no incentive for them to invest.

As regards the cost, we stayed at a THS at Blackpool for £8.50 a night from the 23rd to 26th October. That was on for over a week and there was another in St Annes at the same time. Those sorts of events happen regularly in popular destinations so plenty of alternatives if car parks aren't available :)

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Just to go back to the original subject I have been through Dieppe port several times this year ( 5 trips since September) & have noticed a marked increase in illegals hanging around. Since the middle of October the numbers have gone up from 10 to about 30-40 seen in a group. They are all young males most stand on the righthand side behind the crash barriers as you approach the port entrance by the roundabout. Security has been stepped up at the port since about November they now have two dogs & several securit guards patrolling the inside of the fence line.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back